depreciate

depreciate

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy View Post
How much does a new golf cart depreciate when it is sold? Is there a rule of thumb for subsequent years?
I am beginning to looking at used carts and trying to determine approximate values. I am sure brand does matter so how about a Yamaha?
Since you did not say whether you were looking for a gas or electric cart, my two cents worth is that Yamaha GAS carts are very good but NOT their electric.

If you want a very good deal on a great cart try Grandma & Grandpa's Golf carts, 352-552-8454. They have re-manufactured carts that they actually build for your specifications. They have Yamaha and Club Car.

Club car electric carts are very good, especially if you get Trojan Ranger batteries. That is what I have and the batteries are GREAT. They are "rated" to go 60 miles on a charge. I have played a round of championship golf at Lopez [up near the North edge of The Villages], came home and took my dog for a 45 minute ride then drove all the way South to Soaring Eagle softball diamonds and back and the gauge never moved from fully charged and never lost any power. My cart is over 2 years old.

I tell you this because so many people say that electric carts won't be able to travel the distance of The Villages on a charge. I happen to disagree.

The other place to check out for a cart is Village Discount Golf Carts on 446, 352-633-8480.

Good luck.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:59 PM

I should have stated that I am leaning toward gas. I like the convenience of gassing up and then not thinking about it for a long time.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2016, 03:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
I should have stated that I am leaning toward gas. I like the convenience of gassing up and then not thinking about it for a long time.
Depending on how much you drive you may be gassing up every week. Gas golf cart don't get great gas mileage. Typically they get about 23-26 mpg. Not that that's bad, it's just that most people think they get a lot more. A typical gas cart has a tank that holds about 6-7 gallons.

Personally, I like the convenience of simply plugging my cart in every time I finish using it and filling the batteries once a month. Running to the gas station all the time and changing the oil is not what I consider convenient.

Sorry, I didn't meant o turn this into a gas vs electric debate, but I did want to give my opinion and perhaps correct a misconception that guitarguy has.

http://http://www.golfcarcatalog.com...ed-golf-carts/
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.

Last edited by Dr Winston O Boogie jr; 09-12-2016 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:16 PM
Sage

Well guitar guy.....confused yet?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 09-13-2016, 08:18 AM

YES I am thoroughly confused but it is sure is fun. I did not know that gas vs electric could wind its way into the discussion. I do welcome it. I was just kinda wondering how much cart from one to three years old would be worth.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr;1287672...
Gas golf cart don't get great gas mileage. Typically they get about 23-26 mpg....

...Personally, I like the convenience of simply plugging my cart in every time I finish using it...Running to the gas station all the time and changing the oil is not what I consider convenient.
Since it's gone down the gas vs electric path, I gotta jump in...

Sorry Doc, but not even close. My gas cart is I'm pretty certain fairly typical of TV, and it gets 40 mpg regardless of how I drive it. I head to the gas station every 3-4 weeks (is that "all the time"?) when my odometer reaches 125 miles. I still have about a quarter tank left and it typically takes 2.8-3.1 gallons to fill it up.

And adhering closely to my maintenance schedule, I've changed the oil once in the past three years.

"...plugging my cart in every time I finish using it"...now THAT sounds more like "all the time".

Last edited by Polar Bear; 09-13-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:48 PM
Platinum member

Our 2014 Yamaha EFI gas cart (fuel injected) gets 50-52 MPG. The tank holds 5.2 gallons but a typical fill up is about 4 gallons. We are typically refueling about every 3 weeks based on putting about 3500 miles per year on the cart. We have a gas station quite convenient to our home so fill ups don't require going out of our way. I do my own oil changes and it take about 10 minutes and one quart of oil. The oil changes are pretty trivial. I would guess that you spend as much time watering the batteries as I spend changing oil in a year. The maintenance requirements are different between gas and electric but I doubt one is more troublesome than the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Depending on how much you drive you may be gassing up every week. Gas golf cart don't get great gas mileage. Typically they get about 23-26 mpg. Not that that's bad, it's just that most people think they get a lot more. A typical gas cart has a tank that holds about 6-7 gallons.

Personally, I like the convenience of simply plugging my cart in every time I finish using it and filling the batteries once a month. Running to the gas station all the time and changing the oil is not what I consider convenient.

Sorry, I didn't meant o turn this into a gas vs electric debate, but I did want to give my opinion and perhaps correct a misconception that guitarguy has.

http://http://www.golfcarcatalog.com...ed-golf-carts/

Last edited by biker1; 09-13-2016 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:28 PM
Email Reported As Spam

The subject matter is about depreciation which in my mind is a very relevant topic. There is a very viable second market here and so I am surprised as to why there isn't a more reliable pricing mechanism.
Forget dealers if your selling a car. And i don't believe that dealers spend a lot to refurbish a cart, at least not relative to what they sell them for It appears a better alternative is in private sells by owners with the option of a general inspection by a cart repair shop before purchasing the cart

Now for the sake of constructive dialogue somebody please critique my comments so that we are all better informed as to our future purchases
Old 09-13-2016, 05:10 PM
Veteran member

Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Quote:
YES I am thoroughly confused but it is sure is fun. I did not know that gas vs electric could wind its way into the discussion. I do welcome it. I was just kinda wondering how much cart from one to three years old would be worth.
A three year old gas Yamaha from a private owner will be in the neighborhood of 6,000 to 7,000
Old 09-13-2016, 05:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post
A three year old gas Yamaha from a private owner will be in the neighborhood of 6,000 to 7,000
I did the same thing. Tried figuring it from the new cost and when it came so close to new cart with a Beautiful Warranty the decision was easy. The moment you sign they give you a loaner, they offered to pay for the gas while we had the loaner and it took 5 weeks for our cart to be built. Top drawer operation, worth a few dollars more. Even got roadside and towing for a year included. The Villages Golf Carts. A Winner. Good Luck.
Closed Thread

Tags
depreciate, carts, values, yamaha, matter