2020 Championship Golf Rates

Closed Thread
Old 12-08-2019, 10:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGolf View Post
The 2020 Championship rates have been posted. This will do nothing but push more golfers outside the bubble during the “busy season” . Playing 18 holes and bringing a guest has become somewhat of a luxury item. Experience dictates that more tee times will be available as residents look for alternatives outside. Please don’t tell me to compare our rates to prices “up north.” We are not up north. We are in Central Florida. This is good news for those that own courses within a 30 mile radius of TV.
MrGolf, I agree with what you said. But here's my question. I've never got a membership at any of the Championship course, but I played with a friend that did have a membership & it looked like to me he still had to pay a fee & it looked like to me it was only 5 or $10. less than I paid with no membership. I always thought that when you joined a Championship course it cost you nothing! Correct me in my thinking, MrGolf.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Green fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
MrGolf, I agree with what you said. But here's my question. I've never got a membership at any of the Championship course, but I played with a friend that did have a membership & it looked like to me he still had to pay a fee & it looked like to me it was only 5 or $10. less than I paid with no membership. I always thought that when you joined a Championship course it cost you nothing! Correct me in my thinking, MrGolf.
When we belonged to a golf club up North there were no green fees. There were monthly membership dues and monthly food minimums in the club restaurants. We moved 7 years ago and the fee was over $500 a month. In TV the priority fee is under $800 for the year. Cheaper green fees, includes trail fees, priority pool membership and priority tee times.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:51 AM
Veteran member
Default Fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
There's the rub. The so-called membership costs around $750 a year for an individual. You pay greens fees on top of this. The membership gives you priority consideration when booking tee times. Some private clubs elsewhere may include greens fees in their membership rate, but you'd need to have an offshore bank account to afford it. One really needs to do the math based on number of rounds played to see if membership is an advantage.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

If "up north" is being included, I played seven public golf courses northeast of Baltimore before 2011 and I paid $32 to $37 and that highest one included a hot dog, chips and a drink at the turn.

My favorite was Pilgrim's Oak, it was owned by the Amish and sat right on the Mason/Dixon line at Peach Botton, PA. For those over 50 it was $33 and at the turn your could get a great pulled pork sandwich with a drink and chips for $7. The Amish did all the maintenance on the course and they had regular pros running the clubhouse. A couple of times I would catch myself just starring off into the beauty of the place and forget what I was there for. It was 32 miles from my home. Here it is

The Villages Florida
Old 12-08-2019, 11:18 AM
Veteran member

Just lovely...wish I could play there. Thanks for Pic....
Old 12-08-2019, 12:02 PM
Veteran member
Default Rates

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
If "up north" is being included, I played seven public golf courses northeast of Baltimore before 2011 and I paid $32 to $37 and that highest one included a hot dog, chips and a drink at the turn.

My favorite was Pilgrim's Oak, it was owned by the Amish and sat right on the Mason/Dixon line at Peach Botton, PA. For those over 50 it was $33 and at the turn your could get a great pulled pork sandwich with a drink and chips for $7. The Amish did all the maintenance on the course and they had regular pros running the clubhouse. A couple of times I would catch myself just starring off into the beauty of the place and forget what I was there for. It was 32 miles from my home. Here it is

The Villages Florida
Absolutely gorgeous. Did the rate you quoted include a golf cart? What's more, isn't it interesting how the Amish are getting into other fields of endeavor? I know of one family that quit growing tobacco and is now growing Cannabis for making CBD oil.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:23 PM

So, for 8 months of the year you can play all the courses for $30-$42 as a "Resident Member." https://www.golfthevillages.com/imag...Dec%202019.pdf

That's a heck of a deal even when you compare to the prices folks pay "up north." Yes, it's more expensive for the other four months. Did you ever think that maybe the four "expensive" months helps to keep the rates down for the full-time residents the other eight months?
Old 12-08-2019, 02:12 PM

Interesting discussion. We just purchased a home in TV and are from MN. Golf here right now is not an option. How about the excutive course? Too hard to get on? Not that good? Just curious, still looking forward to exploring TV.

Always be humble and kind.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by heims01 View Post
Interesting discussion. We just purchased a home in TV and are from MN. Golf here right now is not an option. How about the excutive course? Too hard to get on? Not that good? Just curious, still looking forward to exploring TV.
Execs are built to the same basic standards as the champs. So you're not playing on inferior courses, just practicing mostly your short game. Very enjoyable. And you can get on most times you want, especially if you have just a bit of flexibility.

Last edited by Polar Bear; 12-08-2019 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierPa View Post
Try Continental Country Club 18 hole Championship Course on SR 44 in Wildwood. All fairways and tees have been over seeded for the winter and it is in much improved condition.
(352) 748-3293.

You will save a lot of money, get a new electric cart and get free drink after your round of golf. (2 for 1 coupon)
Have played there and it is in no way comparable to TV courses! Price is of no concern if the course is no better, have to drive in a car to get there and the option for food is less.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
Absolutely gorgeous. Did the rate you quoted include a golf cart? What's more, isn't it interesting how the Amish are getting into other fields of endeavor? I know of one family that quit growing tobacco and is now growing Cannabis for making CBD oil.
Yes, the Pilgrim's Oak rate included a cart. All the courses I played in NE Maryland and SE Pennsylvania, about 7 courses included a cart.

As far as The Villages, I have no beef with the greenfees, as GoPacers commented, we can play most of the courses after 1pm for $34 during 8 months of the year. This time last year we were already paying top dollar. I know some complained when they raised the summer afternoon rate from $24 to $34 but they extended it 3 months from Oct 1st to Dec 31st. That's about what I paid up north as a senior on weekdays.

So for four months we have to rough it out. Something we did in the past was play just nine holes. It's better than playing an executive, you're pulling out your driver 7 times vs 1 or 2 times or maybe not at all, and you're playing for 2+ hours instead of 90 minutes. So try a nine hole round for half of $64, the only negative is you have to start at 1pm or later.

While many of you were impressed with Pilgrim's Oak Golf Course, five miles down the road toward Lancaster, PA is Tanglewood. It's also public and very cheap. I only played it twice since I had to pass by Pilgrim's Oak to get there and it was a 37 mile trip. If I lived in the local area I would play Tanglewood more often. Here'a look at that course.

The Villages Florida
Old 12-08-2019, 07:26 PM

Also, from 2018 to 2019, fees went up $5 to $42. That was a 13.5% increase. This increase is 11.9%. So, over the last 2 years, the increase was a whopping 27%...don’t add the Percents!
Old 12-08-2019, 08:15 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonsmm View Post
Also, from 2018 to 2019, fees went up $5 to $42. That was a 13.5% increase. This increase is 11.9%. So, over the last 2 years, the increase was a whopping 27%...don’t add the Percents!

That's because the property taxes on the golf courses went up 25%.

Old 12-08-2019, 08:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonsmm View Post
That's not really true. First off, if you play after 11am, which myself and all those in my group have done since 2011, the greenfees in the off season is $34 starting with teetimes of 11:56 and later, that $42 is the morning rate. I have never teed off here before 11am and everyone I know plays in the afternoon.

As I mentioned in my previous post they extended the off season rate three more months, winter rates use to kick in Oct 1st, but now it's not until January 1st. So for 8 months you pay $34 in the afternoon. This time last year Oct 1st to Dec 31st. a resident member at Cane Garden for example, paid $47. It's still just $34 until the end of the year., from May to December. So you've only have 4 months of higher rates. On some courses, such as Palmer which was $62 last year, it's only a $2 increase and at Lopez, and Glenview it's $58, which is only a $3 increase.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:37 AM
Veteran member

Judging from the quality of golfers I played with over the last 11 years, I don't think the conditions need to be perfect for the average golfer. It's easy to blame poor play on the conditions of the courses. Fees only went up $5.00 for most courses, $8 for the three courses that were cheaper and $2 for Orange Blossom. (Priority membership has not increased again). I agree that prices for Non-priority members and guests is getting up there.

"I played so badly last week that at the 18th hole there was a pond. I told my caddy that I think I will drown myself. He said: "I don't think that's a good idea". When I asked him why, he said: "I don't think you can keep your head down that long".

Last edited by bilcon; 12-09-2019 at 08:45 AM. Reason: typo
Closed Thread

Tags
rates, championship, news, prices, alternatives

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.