Prioritizing my membership

Closed Thread
Old 01-22-2011, 07:06 PM
Send a message via AIM to PPreu
Default Prioritizing my membership

I haved lived here in Ocala, FL for 10 years, playing golf at Lake Diamond and other area courses. Wife works in TV for Lake Centre for Rehab, Mon thru Fri, 8-5. We've recently decided to "Make the Move" and we signed papers on Jan 21st for a house in Buttonwood, taking possession in 30 days. VERY excited!!

I talked with the pro over at Cane Garden and got all the information I need, so now its decision time. What do I do? I KNOW I have to get a priority membership, but how many courses (and which ones) do I choose? Is it wasteful to get ALL of them? The Executive courses look like fun, and a great way to hone my game (currently a 9 handicap), BUT, I'll play most of my golf on the Championship courses.

I'd do the add-on pool thingy for my wife, but, for the $80.00 isn't it just as wise to just make it a couple's membership for an additional 60-80 dollars?

Realistically, she will play the exec courses when she can and very limited on the championship courses.

HELP!!! What to do!!!

Paul, (Helen's lesser half)
Old 01-22-2011, 07:15 PM
Gold member

Click on the link below and that should give you most the information you need. BTW .. Welcome to the villages.
http://www.golfthevillages.com/tee-times/membership.asp
You will probably have to paste the address in your web browser to link .. sorry about that.
Palmers Legends would be a definate from what I've read on the boards. I'll let the pros here on the boards
better advise you as to how many and which one.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:31 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPreu View Post
I haved lived here in Ocala, FL for 10 years, playing golf at Lake Diamond and other area courses. Wife works in TV for Lake Centre for Rehab, Mon thru Fri, 8-5. We've recently decided to "Make the Move" and we signed papers on Jan 21st for a house in Buttonwood, taking possession in 30 days. VERY excited!!

I talked with the pro over at Cane Garden and got all the information I need, so now its decision time. What do I do? I KNOW I have to get a priority membership, but how many courses (and which ones) do I choose? Is it wasteful to get ALL of them? The Executive courses look like fun, and a great way to hone my game (currently a 9 handicap), BUT, I'll play most of my golf on the Championship courses.

I'd do the add-on pool thingy for my wife, but, for the $80.00 isn't it just as wise to just make it a couple's membership for an additional 60-80 dollars?

Realistically, she will play the exec courses when she can and very limited on the championship courses.

HELP!!! What to do!!!

Paul, (Helen's lesser half)
Let's say you're serious, (not just spoofing those of us who'd love to be burdened by this agonizing decision). And the full priority membership is doable. THEN DO IT! Have a ball, play all the courses. You're right about the executives being good for your game and they are fun too. After your one year investment, with this big smile on your face, you will know exactly what membership to pick for the upcoming blissful half of your life. Welcome to TV!

OK, this valuable advice doesn't come for free. How about going to one of the threads related to Outside Golf Courses. Write a post listing all those Ocala area courses you are familiar with, make comments about them, including greens fees if you can recall. For example, I've played Lake Diamond and liked the course and the price, but I've never seen it compared to the other courses in that area. I'd like to know more about places like the Ocala Country Club, Silver Springs Shores, Arlington, Stone Creek, Marion Oaks, etc. Thanks. I'll be looking for your comments.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:55 PM
Veteran member

I think that if you have only a single membership for priority golf, that to have a priority pools membership for both of you, you would have to pay the regular $260 couples priority pool annual membership fee (I'm not sure about this though, so ask). But whatever the cost is, I think that the priority pools (meaning, the pools that are at the country clubs) membership is worth it; they are one of the nicest things about The Villages. (Plus, I can remember many years ago paying $350 - $450 per year for a family membership to our development's single pool up north - that we got to use for about 4 months per year).

Our favorites (and all of the priority pools are very nice, as are, for that matter, all of the non-priority pools) of the priority pools are Hacienda Hills and Orange Blossom; where you can find us during many afternoons. Since both of these have extra-large deck areas, tiki hut-type bars, and live entertainment during peak weekend/holiday hours, they have more of a fun, resort-type atmosphere which goes along so well with a freshly mixed margarita.

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:32 PM
Sage

First off, congratulations on being a single digit handicap! IMO if you are in for a priority membership get all the courses for the first year. If you find you never use some of them you adjust next year. In addition course conditions are all over the place, so flexibility is nice.

I am not sure I understand the pool question. As a priority member you have access to all the CC pools, you would just need to pay $80 for your spouse.

Something to consider, if your wife will play championship courses even a little it is definitely worth considering a couples priority membership. A single priority + pool for spouse is $820. A couple priority is $925 which includes pools. If she plays 10 times a year you are ahead of the game.

Welcome to TV !
Old 01-23-2011, 06:21 AM
Sage

I would also say get ALL for first year.

The one thing you are probably not familiar with yet is the tee reservation system. In the 'on' season it would be best to be very flexible about which course you want to play. By having ALL you are the most flexible and you may be more likely to get near the time you want to play.

I haven't played a lot yet (since I'm just a snowflake) but I've played them all. Each has a certain charm and challenge.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:47 AM
Default Prioritizing membership

If you opt for the annual family membership the difference between 4 clubs and all clubs is only $80. It does not make sense to cut your course options in half for that amount of money. I would assume that once living in TV full time, you will start playing with a regular group(s) of other priority members. If you have a limited membership, your membership will affect their options. It is important to remember the trail fee is included for the two of you. If you opted for a single priority membership, your wife would need to pay $105 annually for the executive trail fee. Do the math and see how the numbers shake out for you. One thing to remember...once the birds and snowflakes leave, getting a tee time on the championship courses is not a problem. However this time of year - critical unless you are a single and want to pick up an available tee anywhere and anyplace. Nancy
Old 01-23-2011, 08:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncr2482 View Post
It is important to remember the trail fee is included for the two of you. If you opted for a single priority membership, your wife would need to pay $105 annually for the executive trail fee. Nancy
Great catch, I had forgotten that.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
Great catch, I had forgotten that.
I didn't know that. Yes, good catch.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:36 AM
Send a message via AIM to PPreu
Default Great Catch

You guys (and gals!!) Thank you SOOOOO much for the info, I now have a clearer picture (altho it could be the hangover dissipating).

It looks like I'll go "all-in" for at least the first year.

"To golf or not to golf?", what a silly question!!

A special thanks to my wife for working a full time job so that I may pursue excellence in sport!!!

"P"
Old 01-25-2011, 06:29 PM
Default Go Priority

How the tee times are distributed is an important factor to consider in becoming a priority member. Regarding the championship courses, groups with all priority members are given tee times first regardless of how many player points the group has. After that other requests are considered; this time of year we do not let any nonpriority members play in our group. We find we get tee times with them, but not the courses or times we want. Sometimes the tee time request is rejected with nonpriority members in the request.

The executive courses are great practice in the summer. During the winter the pace of play is so painfully slow we do not find them enjoyable. Most of the better golfers I know rarely play the executive courses.

Charlie
Old 01-25-2011, 07:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie49 View Post
Most of the better golfers I know rarely play the executive courses. Charlie
Might be true Charlie but I know of at least 1 low single digit who tries to play at least one every week. I'm not a 'better golfer' (11 index) but I like both.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:51 AM
Default Prioritizing my membership

Russ - living on a executive golf course I can attest to Charlie's statement that most decent golfers don't often play executive courses, not that they don't but not routinely (unless they are renters or participate in a neighborhood golf event). Usually, in a foursome one golfer might be on the green from tee box - the rest of the group struggles to get on the green in two. Perhaps others have witnessed something else, but I haven't. The point is everyone is supposed to enjoy their golfing experience. So it doesn't matter where you play as long as you have fun and keep moving.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:01 AM
Sage

I hear that NCR!
Old 01-26-2011, 09:14 AM

You need to play at least three times a week on a Championship course to make it pay. Wait until you move in and you may find out where your neighbors or friends are playing.
Mens Day is every Tuesday and it is for priority members only and they have different events and you can meet people to form your weekly groups.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.