Is this an Accessible Golf Cart?

Closed Thread
Old 11-29-2020, 03:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
Why do some Villagers feel like they are so much better than others? The original poster merely asked a simple question. And then is lambasted by insults. Nice. A lot of villagers turn their carts up to go faster than 20 mph, are you going to bash them as well? A simple yes or no followed by a simple explanation would of and did suffice. But then to go on to insult him was just rude, but such is life here in the villages “America’s friendliest retirement community”.
I saw nothing that would fit this response.

Why do some villagers feel the need to accuse others of "bashing".
Old 11-29-2020, 03:59 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
I saw nothing that would fit this response.

Why do some villagers feel the need to accuse others of "bashing".
You don't see them because the nasty posts have been removed.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,930 Times in 2,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiltongrizz11 View Post
Lol it's a WHOLE lot more powerful than 1/3 of a golf cart. This thing would pull 4 of them through a mudhole and tear up the ground like a backhoe would
Actually, I did a little research and converted the horsepower in a Yamaha quiet tech to the cc’s of the UTV, and then calculated the difference in cc’s to a percentage and came up with a 32% power increase. That being said, the difference in the drivetrain would give the UTV much more high end speed than 1/3 while in 2wd high, and a serious amount of more torque while in 4wd low.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,930 Times in 2,700 Posts

OK, let's put some facts to this thread so it is understood, this is something I know a lot about. Below are two pictures, the two ATVs (All Terrain Vehicles) in the first picture are mine. The picture was taken this afternoon at our home up north. The red Honda is a 2002 450CC Honda Foreman. It is old technology, reliable, but the rider takes a beating on rough terrain. The green Yamaha is a 2011 550CC Yamaha Grizzly with lots of upgrades from the Honda, including independent rear suspension (every bump does not go straight up the riders spinal cord), automatic constant variable transmission, and power steering. Both are great rides and lots of fun. The second picture is our friends Polaris UTV (Utility Terrain Vehicle). The Polaris has all the high tech features and is similar, but very upgraded, to the picture the OP posted to start this thread. Both types of vehicles are substantially the same, the big difference is that the ATV only accommodates one rider and uses handlebars to steer. The UTV is basically an ATV with a wider frame and seats for a driver and passenger and uses a steering wheel instead of handlebars. UTV's also have a rear dump cart for carrying cargo, versus a rear rack for an ATV. I often see UTV's used by workers along the MMP's because they can bring tools and materials and it is a working vehicle. Both ATV's and UTV's typically have both two and four wheel drive and have a high and low transmission setting. In four wheel low, they can plow deep snow, tow lots of weight, and drive through just about anything including deep mud holes and very rocky terrain. I love to rock crawl trails through the woods in my Yamaha ATV. In two wheel high, these machines will do 60 MPH, but I would not advise it. The tires in these vehicles are very aggressive and will rip up sod easily. The recommended PSI of air in the tires is 3.5 PSI. These tires are part of the vehicles suspension system that allows them to grip loose train and go through mud with ease and it softens the ride.

Now let's talk golf carts. I own two gas golf carts in the Villages. A Yamaha and a Club Car, both EFI's. These vehicles have the equivalent of about 350 CC's of power and their drive train has one speed and are two wheel drive. The carts maximum speed is 20MPH and I keep the tires between 28 - 32 PSI. The tires are designed to inflict minimum damage on turf and these carts are made to be driven on very smooth surfaces.

All of the referenced vehicles in this post are excellent, but very different. I love my ATV's and our friends UTV, but neither of them have any place in the villages (unless you are a maintenance worker using a UTV).

Hope this clarifies things for those not familiar with ATV and UTV's.

Have a great day.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	AYV.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	87138   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	UTV.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	87139  
Old 11-29-2020, 08:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
OK, let's put some facts to this thread so it is understood, this is something I know a lot about. Below are two pictures, the two ATVs (All Terrain Vehicles) in the first picture are mine. The picture was taken this afternoon at our home up north. The red Honda is a 2002 450CC Honda Foreman. It is old technology, reliable, but the rider takes a beating on rough terrain. The green Yamaha is a 2011 550CC Yamaha Grizzly with lots of upgrades from the Honda, including independent rear suspension (every bump does not go straight up the riders spinal cord), automatic constant variable transmission, and power steering. Both are great rides and lots of fun. The second picture is our friends Polaris UTV (Utility Terrain Vehicle). The Polaris has all the high tech features and is similar, but very upgraded, to the picture the OP posted to start this thread. Both types of vehicles are substantially the same, the big difference is that the ATV only accommodates one rider and uses handlebars to steer. The UTV is basically an ATV with a wider frame and seats for a driver and passenger and uses a steering wheel instead of handlebars. UTV's also have a rear dump cart for carrying cargo, versus a rear rack for an ATV. I often see UTV's used by workers along the MMP's because they can bring tools and materials and it is a working vehicle. Both ATV's and UTV's typically have both two and four wheel drive and have a high and low transmission setting. In four wheel low, they can plow deep snow, tow lots of weight, and drive through just about anything including deep mud holes and very rocky terrain. I love to rock crawl trails through the woods in my Yamaha ATV. In two wheel high, these machines will do 60 MPH, but I would not advise it. The tires in these vehicles are very aggressive and will rip up sod easily. The recommended PSI of air in the tires is 3.5 PSI. These tires are part of the vehicles suspension system that allows them to grip loose train and go through mud with ease and it softens the ride.

Now let's talk golf carts. I own two gas golf carts in the Villages. A Yamaha and a Club Car, both EFI's. These vehicles have the equivalent of about 350 CC's of power and their drive train has one speed and are two wheel drive. The carts maximum speed is 20MPH and I keep the tires between 28 - 32 PSI. The tires are designed to inflict minimum damage on turf and these carts are made to be driven on very smooth surfaces.

All of the referenced vehicles in this post are excellent, but very different. I love my ATV's and our friends UTV, but neither of them have any place in the villages (unless you are a maintenance worker using a UTV).

Hope this clarifies things for those not familiar with ATV and UTV's.

Have a great day.
Thank you for the explanation, and may I say what a great-looking pup!
Old 11-30-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
I saw this same vehicle - at Lowes right? Noticed the price - yikes - had the same fleeting thought then....nah. Always knew that golf cart mfrs and retailers made crazy LOADS of profit on carts, esp in TV. Let's face it - you can get a new CAR for a few thousand $$$ more than a loaded new golf cart.

Case in point - just googled. A REAL new car, with all the safety stuff:

2020 Toyota Yaris LE Hatchback MSRP $17,750

The 2020 Toyota Yaris hatchback is a four-door subcompact sold in two trims. The LE is fairly lightly equipped but packs a few desirable features, among them Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Under the hood of every Yaris is a 1.5-liter four-cylinder engine (106 horsepower, 103 lb-ft of torque) that drives the front wheels through a six-speed automatic transmission.
Standard Yaris LE features include 16-inch alloy wheels, heated mirrors, foglights, keyless entry and ignition, a 60/40-split rear seat, a 7-inch touchscreen, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity, and a six-speaker audio system. You also get forward collision warning with automatic emergency braking at low speeds.
No doubt a fancy golf cart can cost you as much as a cheep car, but that's not the point, you can't drive your car on a golf course, or the ability to enjoy a community with over 100 miles of trails to drive on, not to mention the parking, If nothing else its just cool.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, cart, traditional, acceptable, wheels

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.