Golf Cart Use on Championship Courses

Closed Thread
Old 03-14-2020, 01:54 PM
Veteran member
Default Golf Cart Use on Championship Courses

So, hubby went to two championship golf courses yesterday, asking if he could ride by himself in our golf cart while he played. The answer was “No”. He stated that he didn’t feel comfortable sitting so close to another player in these times when anyone might be carrying the virus. It would seem that considering The Villages has shut down much of its entertainment venues that some consideration could be given to those of us who are trying to maintain some semblance of a normal life, yet do all we can to protect ourselves? So, he won’t be playing any of the courses here for the foreseeable future. We are in a high risk group when it comes to this virus and allowing individual carts would be a responsible and sensible thing for The Villages to do. I understand that during normal life and in a perfect world cart traffic is restricted to protect the courses, etc. They might as well just close all of the courses here. Jamming people together in close proximity is exactly what we are being told not to do. Yes, we are isolating at home and keeping a distance from others when we DO have to go out. Today, while picking up two prescriptions at CVS I had to ask the guy in line behind me to back off. He was literally a foot behind me, breathing down my neck. It’s time we all help each other get through this. We aren’t asking for much, just some space so that we can remain safe.
Old 03-14-2020, 02:34 PM
Thumbs up

Go with him as a golfer, but play or don't play. That way he can ride in his cart and not with someone he doesn't know...

Old 03-14-2020, 05:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,582 Times in 562 Posts

If you are high risk, why would you take a chance of leaving your home?
Old 03-14-2020, 06:00 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,618 Times in 3,586 Posts

When he signs up for golf, have him sign you up as well. Cancel 5 minutes before. He will be by himself.
Old 03-14-2020, 07:50 PM
Veteran member
Default Single in a cart

The starter was misinformed. Contact The Villages Golf for clarification and to suggest better training/communication for starters and ambassadors.

I don't even ask. I just tell. Often my group will take three carts with two singles because one person is a smoker and the other is a cancer survivor. So long as one cart stays on the cart path or in the rough, it's permitted. Sorry you had a bad experience.
Old 03-14-2020, 07:52 PM
Veteran member

He can keep his distance during the game, considering this is an outside sport. Everyone who is playing golf should make every effort to do that for now. Sitting inches away from someone in a golf cart is not safe right now.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,555 Times in 506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagesFlorida View Post
So, hubby went to two championship golf courses yesterday, asking if he could ride by himself in our golf cart while he played. The answer was “No”. He stated that he didn’t feel comfortable sitting so close to another player in these times when anyone might be carrying the virus. It would seem that considering The Villages has shut down much of its entertainment venues that some consideration could be given to those of us who are trying to maintain some semblance of a normal life, yet do all we can to protect ourselves? So, he won’t be playing any of the courses here for the foreseeable future. We are in a high risk group when it comes to this virus and allowing individual carts would be a responsible and sensible thing for The Villages to do. I understand that during normal life and in a perfect world cart traffic is restricted to protect the courses, etc. They might as well just close all of the courses here. Jamming people together in close proximity is exactly what we are being told not to do. Yes, we are isolating at home and keeping a distance from others when we DO have to go out. Today, while picking up two prescriptions at CVS I had to ask the guy in line behind me to back off. He was literally a foot behind me, breathing down my neck. It’s time we all help each other get through this. We aren’t asking for much, just some space so that we can remain safe.
Seriously? I played twice this week and rode solo both times. When I checked in at the starter shack, I told the starter that due to not knowing where the people I was playing with had been or who they have been around, I was riding alone. I also told him I knew the rules of using three carts and that I would stay on the paths and/or the rough. Both starters said ok.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
He can keep his distance during the game, considering this is an outside sport. Everyone who is playing golf should make every effort to do that for now. Sitting inches away from someone in a golf cart is not safe right now.
You talked about this more than 8 years ago. Don't give up.

Riding alone in cart on course
Post #7
Old 03-14-2020, 08:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,555 Times in 506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
You talked about this more than 8 years ago. Don't give up.

Riding alone in cart on course
Post #7
Good Detective work!

Maybe her "hubby" should only play the Execs and walk while playing so he can keep his "social distance".

Both of them need to realize that sometimes how you approach people dictates the response to them. If someone approaches me with an attitude that their s**t doesn't stink and everything has to be their way, things are not going to go their way.

Maybe they've been approaching people at the golf courses the wrong way for those 8 years.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Seriously? I played twice this week and rode solo both times. When I checked in at the starter shack, I told the starter that due to not knowing where the people I was playing with had been or who they have been around, I was riding alone. I also told him I knew the rules of using three carts and that I would stay on the paths and/or the rough. Both starters said ok.
I wonder if the difference is you told, not asked. Now OP's husband will have knowledge and confidence to tell them what he is going to do.
Old 03-15-2020, 05:34 AM

And that is part of the problem. You just TELL. So you can pick and choose which rules are applicable to you.
Old 03-15-2020, 05:45 AM

I to was recently at a CVS and the women behind me was exceptionally close. I simply turned around and said, “you’re standing to close I just came back from China on a business trip”. That cleared the line back 6 feet. True story.
Old 03-15-2020, 06:06 AM
Default MisInformation

Quote:
Takes a while for the “word” to filter down. Until further notice, each player is permitted to ride in his/her own cart. All four carts are permitted on the fairway. If anyone tells you differently ask to speak with the facility manager/golf pro.
Old 03-15-2020, 06:10 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
The starter was misinformed. Contact The Villages Golf for clarification and to suggest better training/communication for starters and ambassadors.

I don't even ask. I just tell. Often my group will take three carts with two singles because one person is a smoker and the other is a cancer survivor. So long as one cart stays on the cart path or in the rough, it's permitted. Sorry you had a bad experience.
happens all the time.
Old 03-15-2020, 06:17 AM

I played Palmer yesterday and rode by myself?
Closed Thread

Tags
courses, cart, golf, close, virus

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.