Additional golfing precautions because of coronavirus

Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2020, 05:31 PM
Default Additional golfing precautions because of coronavirus

A number of courses outside of The Villages have taken precautions to prevent the spread of the virus. Such simple things as requesting flags not to be removed, all sand trap rakes being removed and a free drop outside of the trap, no sharing of sand bottles etc.

Is it time for The Villages to adopt similar precautions?

Or given the fact that the CDC now recommends groups of no larger than 10, is it time to stop playing golf or perhaps close the courses?
Old 03-16-2020, 05:40 PM
Platinum member

The first golf-related incident here will probably take place on the final hole via a handshake.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,506 Times in 677 Posts

I vote for any putt within 75'...is a "gimmee."

I never miss putts within that distance anyway, so it will save me from reaching down into the cup...where other hands have been.

Old 03-16-2020, 05:46 PM
Sage

I heard a thoughtful guy say the other day..."With this virus thing going around, I'm going to stop licking my balls."

"Not only do I not want to pass on anything to others reaching in the cup...my back is also starting to hurt."

Old 03-16-2020, 06:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,300 Times in 863 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5115 View Post
A number of courses outside of The Villages have taken precautions to prevent the spread of the virus. Such simple things as requesting flags not to be removed, all sand trap rakes being removed and a free drop outside of the trap, no sharing of sand bottles etc.

Or given the fact that the CDC now recommends groups of no larger than 10, is it time to stop playing golf or perhaps close the courses?
Those "safeguards" are in your control. Why don't you have your group agree to do them. Most in our groups carry hand sanitizer and use it often, can't remember the last time we pulled a pin. If someone in your group has a ball retriever use it to get the ball out of the traps.You have some control. Or don't play.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-16-2020, 06:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,873 Times in 2,683 Posts

Quote:

We are good to go with golfing since golfing tradition limits the gatherings to groups of four. And since we use our own carts we don’t have to worry about disinfecting a rental cart. Now if we can just pay for our green fees online and flash our ID’s to the starter we won’t have to go into the pro shop either. It’s all good : ). Swing on my friends
Old 03-16-2020, 06:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,813 Times in 2,382 Posts

Maybe villages needs to close the golf courses? Or just wear the other glove 🧤.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Don't rake the traps you don't want germs from the rake...Oh Wait silly me no one rakes any way
Don't remove flag to retrieve your ball just jam your putter in yank it out...Silly me again that what they do now
Ok were safe on the course
Old 03-16-2020, 06:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,262 Times in 800 Posts

Quote:

Excellent post. I have self quarantined but still playing golf. I got into a sand trap yesterday (oh what's new) and the thought of touching the handle of the rake immediately struck me. Now there will be those that say just don't touch your face and wash your hands after play but I read the average person touches their face over 1000 times per day. Impossible to not touch your face before the round is done - go ahead I dare you to try.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:03 AM

The sand trap rake and the flag pin just MAY be a place to spread the virus.....sounds excessive....so is this virus. These obvious precautions are a reminder of how we now have to act in ALL areas. Remember 'older' people are the one's this virus attacks...Because there are NOT many 'older' people living here at TV!!, we have to look out for them where ever they are!!
Old 03-17-2020, 05:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,247 Times in 2,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
I heard a thoughtful guy say the other day..."With this virus thing going around, I'm going to stop licking my balls."

"Not only do I not want to pass on anything to others reaching in the cup...my back is also starting to hurt."
You want to try using the ball washers.
Now that is really painfull!!
Old 03-17-2020, 05:17 AM

This thread gave me a smile .... but COVID 19 isnt something to take lightly. We are still golfing. COVID viruses are destroyed in sunlight so i am not too too concerned about handling the rake but I like the idea of a drop zone outside and use the ball retriever to get it out of the sand.
I think we should all play with Yogi (Berra) rules .... on the green ?? IN THE HOLE hahahaha
Old 03-17-2020, 05:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyarwen3 View Post
This thread gave me a smile .... but COVID 19 isnt something to take lightly. We are still golfing. COVID viruses are destroyed in sunlight so i am not too too concerned about handling the rake but I like the idea of a drop zone outside and use the ball retriever to get it out of the sand.
I think we should all play with Yogi (Berra) rules .... on the green ?? IN THE HOLE hahahaha
Where in the world did you hear... "COVID viruses are destroyed in sunlight?"
Old 03-17-2020, 06:04 AM
Default Golf

Considering all of our entertainment and other amenities that we pay for our closed lets ask for the championship golf rates be moved to summer rates now. Allow us to be active and more affordable for most of us.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:16 AM

your saying you never miss a putt of 75 foot, give me a brake.
Closed Thread

Tags
precautions, villages, removed, sand, trap

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.