Advice on Learning to Play Golf

Closed Thread
Old 01-23-2018, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daca55 View Post
Is Sandra affiliated with the Villages or is she off the the Villages? I have a Villages gift certificate I want to use.

Thanks

Bob

Miriam at Sarasota Golf Academy is very good. Schedule as soon as you can. They are busy this time of year. Have fun!
Old 01-24-2018, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francie View Post
I'll be living in TV for 4 months starting in November. I played golf over 20 years ago, but that was very limited. I want to learn how to play again and enjoy the executive courses. Any advice where to get some lessons, who to call, where to rent some clubs, etc? I'm not in the shape I was 20 years ago, but still want to give it a try and see what I can do.
I went to Arnold Palmer for $50a year you can’t rent new clubs. I did this until I decided which clubs I liked. Every 3 Days you can try a different set. If you buy from them the $50 is deducted from the price. Then shop around for the best price
Old 01-24-2018, 08:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnobles View Post
I went to Arnold Palmer for $50a year you can’t rent new clubs. I did this until I decided which clubs I liked. Every 3 Days you can try a different set. If you buy from them the $50 is deducted from the price. Then shop around for the best price
Previously they would let you take clubs out on the course for the day, I think you had to leave a driver's license with them. Just like when they let your use a GPS they're demoing. However, even better for golfers on a budget like myself. Go to the Arnold Palmer Golf Academy and down the hall to the right, just go right by the receptionist desk, the last room on the left is full of sets of all the latest mens clubs. You can pick out anyone you want and they give you balls to hit and walk right out the back door about 10' and hit balls all day. The only negative is you have to hit off the fake grass.

About a year and half ago after reading online reviews I went to the shop and picked out 7 irons from about 5 different sets. After about an hour of hitting balls I decided on Taylormade PSI 1's with graphite shafts. They've got slots on each side of the face which makes the entire area a sweet spot. You can hit it on the toe and still almost get full carry. Also, from 8 iron on down are speed slots on the bottom of each iron. Later I went to the Sarasota pro shop and found the clubs for $850 for a set of irons 4 thru pw. I came home, went on eBay and found them brand new in the box with free shipping and no tax for $399 from a seller who had 100% feedback from over 20,000 customers.

The Villages Florida
Old 01-26-2018, 09:06 AM

You are right! Sandra is the best (but her last name is Chester...not Chessney)
She is the owner/pro at Golf Your Best on Rt. 44 (Continental CC)
352-751-5122
Old 01-26-2018, 12:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorgeousGrandma View Post
You are right! Sandra is the best (but her last name is Chester...not Chessney)
She is the owner/pro at Golf Your Best on Rt. 44 (Continental CC) 352-751-5122
Happinow posted a few years back about an Instructor at Continental CC offering a free lesson.
I guess Sandra Chester is the new owner/pro?
Old 01-26-2018, 01:45 PM

I live north of 466 and am very new to golf. I would love to play with some gals who wanna have fun. I have my own clubs, it's time I started using them!
Old 01-26-2018, 08:22 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

I have always told people who are contemplating taking up golf that it is a game you have to be willing to be bad at. Some people can't stand to do anything at which they can't excel, and if that's you, stay away from golf. Take a few lessons, and don't get discouraged when you flub a shot - just keep hacking. I still flub an occasional shot after more tan fifty years of playing. In fact I sawPhil Mickelson flub a couple shots today at Torrey Pines, so just keep going and enjoy. Take pleasure in the decent shots you hit and rejoice in the twelve foot putt you drop occasionally. Keep moving, don't sulk, play the correct tees, don't take five practice strokes, pick up after double par, throw the ball out of the bunker after two tries, and have fun - so will your playing partners no matter their skill level. The game isn't for everyone, but with the right attitude it can provide tremendous fun and comeraderie no matter how skilled you become. See you on the first tee box.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
I have always told people who are contemplating taking up golf that it is a game you have to be willing to be bad at. Some people can't stand to do anything at which they can't excel, and if that's you, stay away from golf. Take a few lessons, and don't get discouraged when you flub a shot - just keep hacking. I still flub an occasional shot after more tan fifty years of playing. In fact I sawPhil Mickelson flub a couple shots today at Torrey Pines, so just keep going and enjoy. Take pleasure in the decent shots you hit and rejoice in the twelve foot putt you drop occasionally. Keep moving, don't sulk, play the correct tees, don't take five practice strokes, pick up after double par, throw the ball out of the bunker after two tries, and have fun - so will your playing partners no matter their skill level. The game isn't for everyone, but with the right attitude it can provide tremendous fun and comeraderie no matter how skilled you become. See you on the first tee box.
eweissen... welcome bach!

I'm very good at court sports, very bad at golf. I enjoy being outside on the beautiful courts, and spending time with three good friends. So I'm terrible at golf but so what. It's fun. I care about my court sports play but am lucky to just enjoy golf without needing to excel.

Good to hear from you again. Hope you are doing well.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:03 PM

I am a new kid on the block and will be returning to TV, hopefully in Oct. I have said that I would like to learn how to play golf too. Why not, so many golf courses here. My knowledge of golf is zero. I can play other sports, but not golf. I too would like to try and join you, Barefoot, for the game and have fun. I am in Polo Ridge. Hope you have another space then. Thank you.

Ratana
Old 01-26-2018, 10:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Please keep Bare in mind, Maddie. We are always looking for newbies. We are really baaaaaaaaaaaaaad golfers but have a lot of fun.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:49 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

You will not learn to play good golf on the executive courses with Villagers, where people say That's my Mulligan, Did anyone see where it went?, Let me get my clubs and I'll walk to my ball, let's play a scramble. lessons and practice are needed.

My wife told me tonight after 11 years here that she needs a new set of clubs because her clubs do no have a sweet spot. Mine don't either that I can find and I am sure they are bent and the heads are loose. How else could the ball that I hit do what it just did. So I guess we both should get a new set. Also she says that she has been told that sets from Target and Walmart do no have sweet spots.

Sweet spots insure that when you hit the ball , it will fly high , long and straight
Old 01-26-2018, 11:54 PM
Sage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Please keep Bare in mind, Maddie. We are really baaaaaaaaaaaaaad golfers but have a lot of fun.
Speak for yourself, wench.
Yes, we are really bad golfers! Please keep us in mind Ratana and Paddygirl.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
You will not learn to play good golf on the executive courses with Villagers, where people say That's my Mulligan, Did anyone see where it went?, Let me get my clubs and I'll walk to my ball, let's play a scramble. lessons and practice are needed...
Everytime I'm on the championship courses, I say thank heaven they have the executives. Can you imagine if all those same people were out on Cane Garden or Havana, etc. An 18 hole round would take 5 to 6 hours. Everytime I have lunch at Bob Evans I realize that the executive golf groups real objective is the restaurant get-togethers afterwards.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:21 PM

Thank you all for your advice and invitation to join your group. Fun and friendships are the top main reasons I am at TV! Will be in touch again in Oct or Nov. Until then, enjoy and stay well.

Ratana
Closed Thread

Tags
ago, years, advice, play, lessons

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.