Any PGA Players You Don't Like

Closed Thread
Old 08-17-2010, 07:01 PM

I think it should be a rule that if they have to move people out to take the putt, it's not a bunker.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Some finer points:

Rules officials can not step in to make a call like "Hey Dustin, heads up, that's a bunker". They can only rule when they see an infraction or are asked about a situation.

There was indeed a rules official with every group. In fact the rules official with DJ's group said "Is there something I can do for you Dustin?" DJ responded "Yes, please help clear the path for the shot".

Iaudit is correct about the first time he stepped in. I re watched it many times on my DVR. At first I also felt he knew he did something wrong but he was concerned with the sliver of light.

Tom Rinalidi (of Sports Illustrated) reported on the locker room at the time. He indicated that at least two finished players, watching on the television said "Oh, Oh, I don't think he knows that's a bunker!". So it wasn't something that no one knew about.

In 2004 when the PGA was last played there the bunkers outside the ropes were played as waste bunkers where you could ground your club. And there was some controversy with Stuart Appleby in a real bunker and assessed a 4 stroke penalty for moving a loose impediment and grounding his club. For this reason they decided to make the rule simple and rule that ALL bunkers on the property were in play.

The call wasn't made long after the play at 18. In fact the rules official on the side of 18 was just waiting for DJ to finish to ask him if he knew that he had incurred a 2 stroke penalty.

There was no need to go back to the spot of the foul. DJ knew that he grounded his club (twice in fact). His only chance was to rule that it wasn't a bunker since the local rule was already in place about ALL bunkers being in play.

Among golfers this isn't a controversy or even a rules question while they do feel badly for DJ. But they want that course to be marked differently next time.

NOW do I think they need to clarify this for this course when the bring back the PGA and also the Ryder cup in the near future? Yes. Anything inside the ropes is a bunker. Outside the ropes are waste bunkers. And mark any questionable ones with blue dye (they actually did this for some of the bunkers this week).
Great info. Thanks, Russ
Old 08-17-2010, 07:20 PM
Gold member

Russ, I fully agree with you that they need to look at this situation and possibly tweak it before they have another major at this course. At the very least, if they are going to allow spectators to stand and walk in bunkers, they should be identified as waste areas, where you can ground your club, and not true bunkers. When I first saw the course on Thursday, the first thing I thought was I don't ever want to play that course, as it looked not only intimidating, but possibly unfair. I'm disappointed to see that this course is going to be a Ryder Cup venue. I love the Ryder Cup, but I'm not sure I want to see it played on this particular course.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:11 PM
Sage

Another interesting golf point:

The sliver of light thing - If you'll remember when the person in the crowd said "Do you want me to just block it (the sunlight)?) DJ said "that would be great".

By doing so he may have violated Rule 14-2 (Accept physical assistance or protection from the elements). Sub decision 14-2.5 talks about "While a player may not place an object or position a person for the purpose of blocking the sunlight from his ball, he may ask a person (e.g., a spectator) who is already in position not to move, so that a shadow remains over the ball, or to move, so that his shadow is not over the ball"

By basically telling the person that it is OK to move to block the sunlight he may have been in violation of the rule.

Just an interesting day! Not for DJ though.

Last edited by Russ_Boston; 08-17-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
Russ, I fully agree with you that they need to look at this situation and possibly tweak it before they have another major at this course. At the very least, if they are going to allow spectators to stand and walk in bunkers, they should be identified as waste areas, where you can ground your club, and not true bunkers. When I first saw the course on Thursday, the first thing I thought was I don't ever want to play that course, as it looked not only intimidating, but possibly unfair. I'm disappointed to see that this course is going to be a Ryder Cup venue. I love the Ryder Cup, but I'm not sure I want to see it played on this particular course.
I hear you but with all those players being 10 under par or so I don't think the basic course is unfair. -11 is a very low score for a major.

Might be a great Ryder Cup venue since it is match play. This course has lots of risk/reward holes (reachable par 4's, long par 3's, routes that cut off some length etc.)
Old 08-18-2010, 09:44 AM
Default Fortunately No such rule in football

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Another interesting golf point:

The sliver of light thing - If you'll remember when the person in the crowd said "Do you want me to just block it (the sunlight)?) DJ said "that would be great".

By doing so he may have violated Rule 14-2 (Accept physical assistance or protection from the elements). Sub decision 14-2.5 talks about "While a player may not place an object or position a person for the purpose of blocking the sunlight from his ball, he may ask a person (e.g., a spectator) who is already in position not to move, so that a shadow remains over the ball, or to move, so that his shadow is not over the ball"

By basically telling the person that it is OK to move to block the sunlight he may have been in violation of the rule.

Just an interesting day! Not for DJ though.
Considering that infamous snow-plow game in Foxboro a few years back

Good take on the whole situation Russ; still puzzled why DJ's caddy was mysteriously absent during this whole situation...and with the sliver of light issue as well...he probably would have known to inadvertantly get himself in the "right spot" to provide some "accidental" assistance.

Question with boldness
Hold to the truth
Speak without fear

"Too soon old...too late smart"
Old 08-18-2010, 03:25 PM
Sage

Actually the main rule about shadows concern caddies so he did the right thing.

I was wrong on one of my points: Walking rules officals are allowed to intevene prior to a possible infraction. So DJ's official could have said "Remember, that's a bunker this week".

Snow plow? That was an act of god!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.