Any PGA Players You Don't Like

Closed Thread
Old 08-15-2010, 09:47 PM
Sage

The finish certainly was something. It was funny, when DJ grounded his club, I said, "OMG, he grounded his club". Then he stepped away and came back to his ball. I said, "OMG, he did it again". Hubby said, "He's not in a hazard".

We both assumed hubby was right about no infraction since nothing was said. Then, the sh** hit the fan! Good thing DJ missed that putt!

Last edited by Pturner; 08-15-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
It was funny, when DJ grounded his club, I said, "OMG, he grounded his club". Then he stepped away and came back to his ball.
Funny thing was, when he did it the first time he almost stepped back and gestured like "Is this a bunker?". But he said he didn't know so I'd have to accept that.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Funny thing was, when he did it the first time he almost stepped back and gestured like "Is this a bunker?". But he said he didn't know so I'd have to accept that.
After they called it, I thought the same thing. Even hubby said it looked that way when they replayed it. I almost wondered if psychologically, that was why he missed the putt, i.e., he knew he shouldn't win. However, I'm with you, I accept his explanation.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Golfers that I don't like.........

Woods
Strange
licklighter
Wieskoft
Crane
Faldo
Dimarco
MURREY
Old 08-15-2010, 11:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
After they called it, I thought the same thing. Even hubby said it looked that way when they replayed it. I almost wondered if psychologically, that was why he missed the putt, i.e., he knew he shouldn't win. However, I'm with you, I accept his explanation.
I am not a Johnson fan and I didn't want him to win, But that was a rotten call by the rules official because that has to be the worst alledged bunker I have ever seen........It looked like a walking path , not a bunker......In fact it looked like doggie do run......

sandy fumar
Old 08-16-2010, 06:43 AM
Gold member

In fairness to the officials, they gave written notice to all of the players that they should be extra careful about playing from sandy areas outside the "usual" playing area, as the course is full of bunkers that don't come into play for the pros. Golf Digest did a bunker count at Whistling Straits earlier this year, and came up with an "actual count" of 967, which may or may not be accurate. Occasionally the course designer, Pete Dye comes in and says "lets open up this bunker", and they remove some grass and expose a bunker that nobody knew was there. The CBS announcers said that there are more than a thousand of them. Personally I felt terrible for Dustin Johnson, but he seemed to handle it well and had a good interview with David Feherty right after it happened. He showed a lot of class.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:27 AM
Taltarzac
Default Fumar has been to Doggie Doo Run Run???

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Fumar View Post
I am not a Johnson fan and I didn't want him to win, But that was a rotten call by the rules official because that has to be the worst alledged bunker I have ever seen........It looked like a walking path , not a bunker......In fact it looked like doggie do run......

sandy fumar
Now, that is news. The bunkers must move at that golf course since it is so close to Lake Michigan.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:41 AM
Gold member
Default Any PGA Players You Don't Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati1974 View Post
I really don't care for Vijay Singh ever since I heard his chauvinistic attitude toward women playing on the PGA tour. (and I'm a man!) If a woman wants to compete & qualifies I say go for it! It would add some new interest to the tour.
OK lets let men play in the LPGA, if they qualify from the forward tees, maybe this will create more interest in the LPGA. As for VJ I really like the man - gives very little interviews, and when he does he is short and to the point. Because he maybe a chauvinist (in some peoples eyes) does not make me dislike him. Some people like EX-Pres Bush and i don't dislike them
Old 08-16-2010, 08:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Vijay

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
OK lets let men play in the LPGA, if they qualify from the forward tees, maybe this will create more interest in the LPGA. As for VJ I really like the man - gives very little interviews, and when he does he is short and to the point. Because he maybe a chauvinist (in some peoples eyes) does not make me dislike him. Some people like EX-Pres Bush and i don't dislike them
Ouch. OUCH. His attitude about women playing in the mens tour has nothing to do with my dislike of him. He is just kind of a smart aleck.(IMHO)

There is one woman who is new to this forum, but none that I have known personally who has a game where they consistently hit off the championship tees. A womans golf game and a mans golf game is usually quite different. (Not that they can't beat a man, but it is usually brains over braun.)

And for Pete's sake Nitehawk, lets not let Politics into the Golf section.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Fumar View Post

sandy fumar
Except that the rules official went on to explain that rule #1 on a local rule sheet dealt with the peculiar situation of original bunkers that had become disfigured. It specified that these would be treated as bunkers. As would be the case with any local rule sheet in a tournament, it was provided to the players, explained verbally and posted in the lockers.

Until the official explained that, I might have seen it as a bad call. But since the specific circumstance was addressed in the local rule sheet, how could the officials reasonably have not enforced it?

And as previously mentioned, given the irregular bunkers throughout the course, my first reaction when he addressed his ball was that it was might well be a bunker.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Except that the rules official went on to explain that rule #1 on a local rule sheet dealt with the peculiar situation of original bunkers that had become disfigured. It specified that these would be treated as bunkers. As would be the case with any local rule sheet in a tournament, it was provided to the players, explained verbally and posted in the lockers.

Until the official explained that, I might have seen it as a bad call. But since the specific circumstance was addressed in the local rule sheet, how could the officials reasonably have not enforced it?

And as previously mentioned, given the irregular bunkers throughout the course, my first reaction when he addressed his ball was that it was might well be a bunker.
GOOD points BUT:
The official with Dustin did not treat it like a "bunker". Dustin asked for the spectators to be moved back and the official did not move them out of the "bunker".
They are standing and sitting it when he hits!! No way any official would allow that on a real "bunker".
http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/de...lf-262517#post

Furthermore, aren't "bunkers" supposed be raked between shots so the golfer will have a smooth surface to hit into and out of? This one was full of footprints. Check the video above.

Terrible call and you have to give Dustin credit for accepting it.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:58 PM
Gold member

From what I read this morning, the "local" rules sheet passed out to every player and posted in the locker room clearly instructed the players that there are bunkers on the course that might not be apparent as bunkers, would not be raked and which would have footprints, heel marks, etc. in them caused by spectators. It also said that there would be no special relief in those bunkers. If Dustin had read the rules (which I understand most players do not), he would have been aware of the unique situation at this particular course. I feel badly for him, but anytime you get fair warning and don't pay attention, you can't blame the officials. I do agree that the official should have done a much better job of clearing the area of spectators before he attempted the shot.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
From what I read this morning, the "local" rules sheet passed out to every player and posted in the locker room clearly instructed the players that there are bunkers on the course that might not be apparent as bunkers, would not be raked and which would have footprints, heel marks, etc. in them caused by spectators. It also said that there would be no special relief in those bunkers. If Dustin had read the rules (which I understand most players do not), he would have been aware of the unique situation at this particular course. I feel badly for him, but anytime you get fair warning and don't pay attention, you can't blame the officials. I do agree that the official should have done a much better job of clearing the area of spectators before he attempted the shot.
Spectators are not allowed in "bunkers". Therefore when Dustin asked the official to move the spectators back and they did not move them out of the "bunker", the rulling at that point was it was not a bunker. The official onsite determined that and allowed the spectators to be present. Later an another official ruled the opposite. Totally unfair.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:34 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJoe View Post
Spectators are not allowed in "bunkers". Therefore when Dustin asked the official to move the spectators back and they did not move them out of the "bunker", the rulling at that point was it was not a bunker. The official onsite determined that and allowed the spectators to be present. Later an another official ruled the opposite. Totally unfair.
I thought the spectators were really crowding Dustin, but I don't recall him asking for them to be moved out of the "bunker". When he asked that they move back between his ball and the intended flight of the ball they complied. I heard it mentioned many times over the four days that specators would be in the bunkers because there were so many bunkers and they were located in places that the pros normally would not hit.

A copy of the notice is posted on the PGA's website. I feel bad that it turned out that way but all players were given fair and clear warning. They are pros, they need to know the rules, and if they question a rule they have officials to make a ruling. Unfortunately Dustin never asked, "Is this a bunker?" Next time a cop pulls me over for going 90 I'm going to try this - "I chose not to read the sign that said speed limit 70". I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:21 PM
Default Caddie culpability as well?

An unfortunate turn of events for DJ (who really should have won the match), but his reaction was puzzling after he 1st grounded the club...looking as though he knew he'd messed up...but if so, why would he then ground it again? Apparently (from an interview afterwards) some players never bother to read the rules ...do they rely on their caddies to cover them in this regard? Did DJ's caddie miss giving his player timely advice & warnings; he looked oddly absent, buried amongst the crowd at the time of the infraction...just another odd angle on the mishap!

Question with boldness
Hold to the truth
Speak without fear

"Too soon old...too late smart"
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.