Any walkers using Exec. Courses?

Closed Thread
Old 11-20-2014, 11:39 AM
Default Any walkers using Exec. Courses?

Are there any walkers w/pushcarts using the Executive courses? Some of us would like to get exercise several times per week. I get the impression that only golf carts are used.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:35 PM
Sage

Walker here. Let's organize!!
Old 11-20-2014, 12:37 PM
Sage

I always walk and sometimes I carry. I have been carrying more often lately. I found that on some courses [like Palmetto] there is a hole that is very long going from green to tee. With a Sunday bag sometimes I can jump in someone else's cart just for that one trip and not hold up play.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:55 PM
Gold member

I walk all the Exec. courses. Not sure where you get the cart info., but it's wrong. None are hard to walk. Some are close to 2 miles long, but most are pretty flat(except: Truman, Roosevelt, Bogar, Bacall). About the longest distance you'll find between holes is between 6 & 7 at Mangrove...perhaps 5min. at longest.

You can also walk the championship courses, but you have to keep pace and some of those distances between green and tees can be about 1/4 mile or so.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:46 PM

My husband and I almost always walk the executive courses and have never had a problem. As long as you keep up with the group ahead of you the golf course management has no problem with walkers.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:52 PM

Is there a "group" for walkers? Any courses more than others? They seem few, far and between?
Old 11-20-2014, 06:23 PM
Sage

The thing about walking that I suspect but I never measured is the total distance. I hit the ball fairly straight towards the target. So I pretty much go in a straight line. The golfers in a cart stay on the cart path and then walk at a right angle to the ball and then back to the cart. My hunch is that maybe I walk 25% more then they do, maybe less.

Most of the people I get paired up with sure do look like they exercise or maybe cut their own lawn so I don't understand how often they marvel at my ability to walk the course. When I say walking the course is not much at all, I'm not being modest. It's not much at all.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalier65 View Post
Are there any walkers w/pushcarts using the Executive courses? Some of us would like to get exercise several times per week. I get the impression that only golf carts are used.
Cavalier,

Of course you can walk. You can rent a pull cart right from the starter for a buck. I walk 95% of the time in the summer and 100% of the time in the winter. I think that walkers play faster than those in carts because you can go straight to your ball whereas golf carts have to stay on the cart path except on par fours or if you have a handicap pass. I also play better when I walk because you can line up your shot before you get to your ball and if you change your mind about what club to use you don't have to walk all the way back to your cart. Walk if you can but get out there however you can.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:34 PM
Sage
Default Why walk?

I'm just curious.....if you want to walk and get exercise why don't you walk either before or after golf? That way, you can use a cart while golfing and not hold people up. There are plenty of sidewalks and trails to exercise on. Just a thought.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Are you just assuming walkers hold up play or have you experienced slow play a lot from walkers?
Old 11-20-2014, 07:51 PM

I always walk and so does one other in our group,and no we DONOT hold up anyone.
Taught physics and chemistry to teenagers for 37 years!! Started out in Rhinebeck,NY and ended up in Havre de Grace, MD-moved to Buttonwood full time and then moved to Labelle, but still go north to do some goose/deer hunting !!!!
Old 11-20-2014, 07:58 PM
Veteran member

We love to walk and it's great to have all your clubs with you. I have a pull cart but DH is looking to buy one instead of renting. Anyone have one for sale?
Old 11-20-2014, 09:07 PM
Gold member
Default Walkers rarely hold anyone up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
I'm just curious.....if you want to walk and get exercise why don't you walk either before or after golf? That way, you can use a cart while golfing and not hold people up. There are plenty of sidewalks and trails to exercise on. Just a thought.
any more than people in carts who have to move slow due to physical limitations. As an ambassador for almost a year I never had to speed up anyone walking unless(just like those in a cart)they were hunting for golf balls.

I prefer walking because golf is supposed to be at a measured pace and walking(like the golf swing)is easy and methodical. I do ride in very hot weather.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

I'll walk whenever we get there permanently, especially the executive courses. I seem to be able to visualize the next shot better walking up behind the ball rather than driving 90* to it and then trying to focus on it. The courses I've been playing here in KC are not very walker friendly; lots of elevation changes and lots of distance from green to tee. I'll be living right across from Southern Star when we get there.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post

Oh my, my, my. I'm going to restrain myself.

Walkers who know what they're doing do not hold people up. For pace of play, I'll take a foursome of walkers who really know how to keep moving over most cart groups any day.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.