Backup Plan for Villages Golf

Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2023, 10:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
If any in your group are members of a private club, at home, consider asking your pro to make a tee time for you at one of the private clubs in the area.
Don't know of any private golf courses near The Villages. You would probably need to travel to Ocala or Orlando. But there are plenty of public access courses within a reasonable drive. But first check onto the course reviews before booking. Some may not be in the shape you are looking for.
Old 01-10-2023, 01:11 PM
Default Here's my knowledgable advice..

There's a very good chance you can get on Lopez, Hacienda Hills, or Southern Oaks, even without putting in a request. With a guest pass, Lopez is $78, Hacienda is $71.50, and Southern Oaks is $83 (yikes!).
Here are my rankings of outside courses, as a 9 handicap player. The caveat is that I've not played any of these recently, but I've played them all many times and have read all the recent reviews in preparation of playing outside the Villages until June 1st, as I do every year now.
1. Deer Island - great course, great condition. If you're not good, bring lots of balls. If the day is warm enough, you get to see gators too! It's worth the hour or so drive. $50
2. Mission Inn/El Campeon - close by, rare elevation changes, always great condition, but very difficult, not for crappy players. $85
3. Mission Inn/Las Colinas - close by, always in great shape. Surprisingly, $75, thought it would be cheaper than that.
4. Harbor Hills - close by, elevation changes, good condition. $50
5. Don't go to these nearby courses, for various reasons - Spruce Creek South, Stonecrest, The Lakes Golf Club.
Old 01-10-2023, 01:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboutj View Post
It is pretty, but it's a very short course.

OP, previous posters have mentioned Deer Island, Juliette Falls, Mission Inn and Harbor Hills. They are all worth playing outside the bubble and all will cost less than any Villages championship course with the exception of Juliette Falls. If you don't mind driving a little farther I would suggest Orange County National which has two exceptional layouts.

A note about Deer Island: I played it about 10 years ago and swore I'd never go back. I must have lost close to a dozen golf balls in the rough. You literally had to step on your ball to find it. No idea if they keep the rough that long any more.
Really???? Last played Juliette Falls about 3 months ago and it was $52 with a cart and lunch (hamburger and soft drink)

Never mind---just checked their website and they are $75 without the lunch----that's a 50% increase!!!
Old 01-10-2023, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I played Continental once and it was in horrible condition. Baseline is a nice little semi executive course. It is green but the fairways, fringes and greens are kept very long. Higher handicap players that I played with loved. I was hitting flyers all day.
The Championships in The Villages are expensive and conditions are inconsistent. I have friends that play exclusively play outside The Villages because of the price. I’ve played some in good shape and some that are terribly and everything in between.
Continental just finished reseeding their greens and tee boxes and is in good shape, plus they usually have specials for afternoon golf... its a good back up but a good course with the improvements they've made.
Old 01-10-2023, 01:27 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIgolfers View Post
Don’t worry about not being able to get tee times on champ courses in TV. Courses are empty, at least in the afternoons. Plenty of tee times available. I think high prices are keeping people away.
I agree, live where we can see parts of two championship courses, see very light play, as the above comments noted, especially in the afternoons ! I agree, in tight financial times like these, the high prices probably do effect how often people play... but, January golf in Florida is not inexpensive anywhere, but there are other nice public courses other than the villages public courses (championship courses). If you want to travel as far a Clermont, Fl.... some really interesting golf in that area. Check out trip advisor reviews under "things to do" category.
Old 01-10-2023, 01:31 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn5656 View Post
Eagle Ridge is nice (36 holes), Arlington Ridge, Black Bear
Agree ! ! Of course some would argue that the "savings" by not paying villages rates, are wiped out by gasoline prices to travel to other courses...LOL !
Old 01-10-2023, 01:35 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Really???? Last played Juliette Falls about 3 months ago and it was $52 with a cart and lunch (hamburger and soft drink)

Never mind---just checked their website and they are $75 without the lunch----that's a 50% increase!!!
WOW ! "inflation" is everywhere, 25% possible raise in water, recreation like golf courses increasing 50%, hamburger now about a 40% increase, is this really sustainable .... ?
Old 01-10-2023, 08:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSpasm View Post
There's a very good chance you can get on Lopez, Hacienda Hills, or Southern Oaks, even without putting in a request. With a guest pass, Lopez is $78, Hacienda is $71.50, and Southern Oaks is $83 (yikes!).
Here are my rankings of outside courses, as a 9 handicap player. The caveat is that I've not played any of these recently, but I've played them all many times and have read all the recent reviews in preparation of playing outside the Villages until June 1st, as I do every year now.
1. Deer Island - great course, great condition. If you're not good, bring lots of balls. If the day is warm enough, you get to see gators too! It's worth the hour or so drive. $50
2. Mission Inn/El Campeon - close by, rare elevation changes, always great condition, but very difficult, not for crappy players. $85
3. Mission Inn/Las Colinas - close by, always in great shape. Surprisingly, $75, thought it would be cheaper than that.
4. Harbor Hills - close by, elevation changes, good condition. $50
5. Don't go to these nearby courses, for various reasons - Spruce Creek South, Stonecrest, The Lakes Golf Club.
The Lakes is a short course, almost "Executive", and not in that great condition, although improving. I wouldn't rule out Spruce Creek or Stonecrest. Stonecrest has new ownership and has done a good job of bringing the course back to playable conditions. Spruce Creek did a lot of overseeding and have greens that are in near perfect condition. You can play either for half the cost (or less) than a Villages championship course.
Old 01-12-2023, 07:07 PM

Nobody mentioned Saddlebrook or Copperhead courses which are tour level , and only 45 min and 1h15 min away.

Have had a condo an the 2 hole of Copperhead for 35 years and always been able to get my quests a tee time
Old 01-13-2023, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Just looked at Wednesday , between 10AM to 2PM I counted 50 open tee times.
Do they want the Villages experience or are they looking for something else?
They want villages experience. I just tried to request tee time for 4 including 2 guest and its not accepting the guest ID numbers. There are 7 numbers instead of 6 and says they are invalid. Can I even make a request using Guest ID numbers?

Cheers!
Old 01-13-2023, 09:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scbang View Post
They want villages experience. I just tried to request tee time for 4 including 2 guest and its not accepting the guest ID numbers. There are 7 numbers instead of 6 and says they are invalid. Can I even make a request using Guest ID numbers?

Cheers!
If I remember correctly, you will enter your friends as your Guest, under your ID number.
Old 01-13-2023, 10:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
If I remember correctly, you will enter your friends as your Guest, under your ID number.
Correct. just did that.
Old 01-13-2023, 01:26 PM
Default Other Options

My local village is plannibg trips to these: Arlington Ridge, Del Webb Eagle Ridge, and Spruce Creek. They are very close to The Villages. Worth a look.
Old 01-13-2023, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
Ah-Ha that worked. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2023, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scbang View Post
Ah-Ha that worked. Thanks.
I had trouble with this too. It's a little tricky. The first thing it asks you is whether you have any guests. You have to check yes here.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, good, golf, courses, backup

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.