Beginner golf

Closed Thread
Old 10-09-2008, 08:16 AM
Default Beginner golf

Hi All
I am a regular reader, and snowbird (2 years and counting). We will be down to the Villages the first of Jan and I am looking for a beginner golf group for my fiancee. I play and can give her the coaching she needs but she indicated will feel more comfortable in a group that is just beginning. She is planning on taking lessons to get the fundamentals. Can any of you suggest a starting point for my investigation???
Thanks in advance

Mike
Old 10-09-2008, 08:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,499 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelkir View Post
Hi All
I am a regular reader, and snowbird (2 years and counting). We will be down to the Villages the first of Jan and I am looking for a beginner golf group for my fiancee. I play and can give her the coaching she needs but she indicated will feel more comfortable in a group that is just beginning. She is planning on taking lessons to get the fundamentals. Can any of you suggest a starting point for my investigation???
Thanks in advance

Mike
They have golf lessons at the Palmer course.

I deleted what I had written because I just practically duplicated it. OOOh boy.

Last edited by graciegirl; 11-04-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:24 AM
rekop

I've had lessons at the Palmer Golf Academy. Its a little pricey, but they do a good job. I believe they offer a series of beginner group lessons, where they take the group out and work on full swing, or chipping, putting, etc. Once she gets the basics, there are a lot of beginners out on the executive courses. If she went out late in the day she wouldn't have to worry about holding someone up, and she'd get some practice. I wish her luck!
Old 11-04-2008, 09:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,499 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelkir View Post
Hi All
Thanks in advance

Mike
Mike,

I have played golf for thirty years, and although NOT terrific, I am not a beginner. I played nine holes with my husband here in TV for the first time a couple of evenings ago and we were with fairly recent beginners. Although they weren't good yet, they were fast and knew the rules, and other niceties, like not walking on your putting line, and not talking when others were preparing to hit. They were ready with their club drawn for the next shot, and would pick up if they were having a lot of trouble. It was a very easy course, Bacall, and had your choice of tee boxes. It was a nice time for all four including my husband who is a decent golfer.

Several people I know here have recently begun the game and one told me that the lessons here start off with golf rules and etiquette and being ready to hit when it's your turn. Of course the driving range is a good place to take her now and again here.

Many people are beginners but if they played like the folks did the other night, no one should feel uncomfortable.

You might instruct her in cussing too, if she doesn't already do it, she will.

Good luck and enjoy.

GG
Old 11-04-2008, 12:40 PM

I've used the Villages Golf Academy and know several other people who have as well. I strongly recommend them. Their instructors are professionals and often carry PGA cards as well. The facilities are superior and they videotape your swing and compare it with the best. This gives you an opportunity to actually see what you're doing/not doing rather than trying to visualize it. They have both group lessons and private. At least stop by and get a brochure. It's well worth the cost.

Michael I DO NOT recommend you try to teach her yourself. Neither one of you will be happy and your relationship might suffer. As Graciegirl said a little cussing never hurt anyone. THAT you're allowed to instruct her on.

Most of all, have fun!
Old 11-04-2008, 02:35 PM

Hi Again
Good advice from all...especially about keeping a good rlationship. She has a great attitude so things should go well.

Thanks
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.