Beginning golfers and unrealistic golfers.

Closed Thread
Old 01-04-2016, 10:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Beginning golfers and unrealistic golfers.

It has been my experience in playing with a lot of new golfers here in the last eight years that in my whole life I have not seen such rapid improvement from beginner to "can play anywhere" generally speaking. Not only that, but new golfers often quickly emerge as really GOOD golfers, being born with wonderful eye hand coordination and athletic ability, apparently, and leaving this seasoned not too coordinated golfer in the dust.

I don't know if it is they have the time to devote to the game or find it quickly to be as addicting as I do, but new golfers don't stay new golfers here very long.

BUT....I am amazed and astonished at the choice of tees by veteran golfers. Way TOO often folks will choose the black tees when they should be using the gold or green on the executive courses.

Just my musings this morning.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:56 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

Many golfers in TV choose the wrong set of tees on the Championship Courses too. So called "veteran golfers" have ego phobia---they believe that they can still drive the ball 250 yards! The USGA has made a major attempt to move golfers up to their proper tee box. It's more fun and helps to speed up play.

The same goes for the executive courses---more fun and especially helps speed up play if golfers would play from tees according to their skill level. Fore!
Old 01-04-2016, 01:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Many golfers in TV choose the wrong set of tees on the Championship Courses too. So called "veteran golfers" have ego phobia---they believe that they can still drive the ball 250 yards! The USGA has made a major attempt to move golfers up to their proper tee box. It's more fun and helps to speed up play.

The same goes for the executive courses---more fun and especially helps speed up play if golfers would play from tees according to their skill level. Fore!
I think that TV guidance for which tees one should play is based on HC. Some one with a great short game could still be playing from the wrong tees. If you can't reach virtually all the par 4s in two shots, you are playing the wrong tees, imo. If you're using a wood/hybrid on every par 3, you're playing from the wrong tees. Seems like TV should recommend the tees based on typical driving distance, or seven iron distance. Something that relates directly to distance.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:41 PM
Sage

It depends on what your goals are?

[I'm assuming you can keep up with the group in front of you.]

If you just want to have a good time play from the closer tees. For me that would be gold.
If you want to improve your game play from the longer tees, don't improve the lie and putt out.

I haven't improved very much in 50 years and I can't explain why I keep trying. But I think that's part of the addiction. I don't get angry or care how anyone else in my group is playing [assuming they are keeping up].
Old 01-04-2016, 04:04 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

Tee It Forward.

Pay It Forward.

2 good programs.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:21 PM
Gold member
Default There are no "commended tees"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
I think that TV guidance for which tees one should play is based on HC. Some one with a great short game could still be playing from the wrong tees. If you can't reach virtually all the par 4s in two shots, you are playing the wrong tees, imo. If you're using a wood/hybrid on every par 3, you're playing from the wrong tees. Seems like TV should recommend the tees based on typical driving distance, or seven iron distance. Something that relates directly to distance.
and the only guidance given is to play from tees you feel you can hit the green. As long as you keep up with the group ahead of you play whatever tees you want. If you find the group ahead has moved ahead by a hole or more then you either need to pick up the pace, play from a shorter distance or pick up ball and move straight to the next tee.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:34 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts
Default Par 4 should be reachable in two

Quote:
Outlaw, you are correct, if you can't reach a par 4 in two you are playing from the wrong set of tees. Move forward.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:35 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
outlaw: you and I are in general agreement. It doesn't matter what tees used for many of the guys I play with on executive courses because our scores never vary much. And it doesn't matter on championship be it white or green on championship because the critical shot (I call it the money shot) to the green that and putting and 2 putts control the scoring

Moving up on the tee is the golf associations way for speeding up golf a common complaint and one of the causes in the drop of player participation.

In my view there are many more reasons than that which create so play and anyone playing executive courses here can cite a long list of them, except those violating ready golf etiquette
Old 01-04-2016, 04:36 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Outlaw, you are correct, if you can't reach a par 4 in two you are playing from the wrong set of tees. Move forward.
Sometimes there are no more tees to move forward to.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
I agree with your recommendations; however, do you really think golfers are going to follow TV guidance on what tees to use? HAHAHAHAHAHA!
Old 01-04-2016, 09:26 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW

Welcome back Gracie. Missed you.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 01-05-2016, 01:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Sometimes there are no more tees to move forward to.
That's exactly what I was thinking.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:26 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
It depends on what your goals are?

[I'm assuming you can keep up with the group in front of you.]

If you just want to have a good time play from the closer tees. For me that would be gold.
If you want to improve your game play from the longer tees, don't improve the lie and putt out.

I haven't improved very much in 50 years and I can't explain why I keep trying. But I think that's part of the addiction. I don't get angry or care how anyone else in my group is playing [assuming they are keeping up].
tomwed: you have touched on a part of the problem. We have some folks who take this game very seriously, play it well and with the bravado that comes with it, and some who view it as fun...passing the time.

I am indeed a stickler for ready play, rules of the game and good golf etiquette but the strict regimentation attempted to be imposed by USGA, PGA ,local clubs,and some golfers upon others is taking the joy out of the game.

First of all what % of golfers in The Villages actually and consistently hit the green on one (executive) or two strokes (championship par 4)? I have played with a few who can but not most and even those guys often end up with three putts. etc etc etc (hitting a long ball v. hitting a well targeted ball)

As to executive course some may require "play it forward" and some not. Pelican is a prime example where if a golfer can't hit a long ball then it would be wise to move forward.

I do not believe people should be concerned about what tees other golfers choose. In that same vein I believe golfers have an obligation to utilize "in the pocket" when appropriate because the last thing I want to hear from a golfer is "I ain't giving up" as they hit their upteenth shot.

Its the "absolutes" many of us have trouble dealing with and so I say with a "friendly intent" you play your game and I will play mine
Old 01-05-2016, 08:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred53 View Post
and the only guidance given is to play from tees you feel you can hit the green. As long as you keep up with the group ahead of you play whatever tees you want. If you find the group ahead has moved ahead by a hole or more then you either need to pick up the pace, play from a shorter distance or pick up ball and move straight to the next tee.
Look at the Glenview score cards on the golfvillages website. They show HCs for each tee. Seems like guidance to me.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,659 Times in 962 Posts

there is nothing like spending 5 hours watching the group in front of you hitting from the appropriate tees, on their second shots.
Closed Thread

Tags
golfers, tees, quickly, stay, long, devote, time, addicting, find, game, green, gold, executive, morning, musings, courses, black, choice, astonished, veteran, dust, choose, folks, amazed, hand

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.