Best Champ Course for Beginner Lady

Closed Thread
Old 09-04-2020, 03:17 PM
Sage
Default Best Champ Course for Beginner Lady

She's learning the game well, but has played exclusively on exec courses up to now. I want to ease her into Champ play, so would like to start off with the 'easiest' (is that the word?), or just somehow the friendliest 9 holes in The Villages. I would appreciate your opinions and thoughts on the matter.

Thanks for your input.
Old 09-04-2020, 05:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,077 Times in 2,744 Posts

Keep her away from courses with lots of sand traps like Glenview or Laurel at Palmer. Sand traps are brutal on beginners. I would recommend Bonifay or Lopez and have her play from the friendly T's. My wife really enjoys golfing from the friendly T's, she can reach most greens in regulation and the T placement takes out just about all the forced carries. She very much likes Tierra Del Sol, not because it's the easiest courses, but because it is the closest to our home and she is familiar with each hole. Best of luck and I hope she learns to love the great game of golf : )

Last edited by tophcfa; 09-04-2020 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-05-2020, 05:11 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

Orange Blossom
Old 09-05-2020, 05:31 AM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn5656 View Post
Orange Blossom
Front nine.
Old 09-05-2020, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
She's learning the game well, but has played exclusively on exec courses up to now. I want to ease her into Champ play, so would like to start off with the 'easiest' (is that the word?), or just somehow the friendliest 9 holes in The Villages. I would appreciate your opinions and thoughts on the matter.

Thanks for your input.
Another choice is to play the executives that have 1 or 2 par 4’s to get the feel of longer ****s. As far as championship, Bonifay has 3 par 5’s so probably one to avoid for the short term. No matter what one you try, a beginner should play from the yellow tees (friendly’s). I like Hibiscus at Cane. Have fun.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:27 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

On the South side.............Evans Prairie.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:50 AM
Veteran member

Go south ... The further south you go the more the courses look like open fields with some holes with sand. Play the forward tees and dont worry about the people behind you,
Old 09-05-2020, 10:35 PM
Gold member

Be sure and use the yellow tee boxes. I also would suggest playing around 6:00 PM so you don't upset to many other golfers. It is also cheaper.
Old 09-06-2020, 10:24 AM
Default Well, I would hope that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
Go south ... The further south you go the more the courses look like open fields with some holes with sand. Play the forward tees and dont worry about the people behind you,
that in continuing to learn the game everyone would be considerate of the players behind them. Keep it moving please.
Old 09-06-2020, 12:33 PM
Sage

Please don’t let this thread devolve into a pace of play exchange. I’m a lifelong golfer and my wife knows the basics of keeping things moving.

Having a bit of a novice in the group should not...and will not in our case...mean a slow pace of play.

Now back to the much appreciated course recommendations for a (fast playing) beginner!
Old 09-06-2020, 02:40 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:

Really? Now that's the kind of advice newbies don't need. Please keep up the pace of play. Hit the ball a few times and if you're having a bad hole pick it up and bring it to the green and putt out. Don't worry about the people behind you. Really?
Old 09-06-2020, 02:42 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Please don’t let this thread devolve into a pace of play exchange. I’m a lifelong golfer and my wife knows the basics of keeping things moving.

Having a bit of a novice in the group should not...and will not in our case...mean a slow pace of play.

Now back to the much appreciated course recommendations for a (fast playing) beginner!
Sorry //
Old 09-07-2020, 08:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Don't worry about the people behind you????? That is the worst piece of advice I've ever heard given to a golfer. One of the first things that a golf should be taught before venturing onto a golf course is alway be aware of the people behind you and allow them to play through if you are holding them up.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:

Sorry but that statement needed to be addressed. It one of the basic tenets of proper golf course etiquette.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:43 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
One of the first things that a golfer should be taught before venturing onto a golf course is always be aware of the people behind you and allow them to play through if you are holding them up.

Yes, but not in TV.

Tags
champ, easiest, word, friendliest, holes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.