Best Champ Course for Beginner Lady

Closed Thread
Old 09-07-2020, 05:15 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Nothing worse than being behind slow players. If you are hitting your ninth shot on a par 4, pick it up and move on
Old 09-07-2020, 08:19 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy-Guy View Post
Be sure and use the yellow tee boxes. I also would suggest playing around 6:00 PM so you don't upset to many other golfers. It is also cheaper.
I agree... book a tee time after 4:10 (after the waves). It's cheaper and I think anyone playing at that time is more tolerant of people learning to play championship courses. There are a lot more couples at that time. Plus, I think she will be less stressed if it feels a little more relaxed.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,071 Times in 2,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
I agree... book a tee time after 4:10 (after the waves). It's cheaper and I think anyone playing at that time is more tolerant of people learning to play championship courses. There are a lot more couples at that time. Plus, I think she will be less stressed if it feels a little more relaxed.
Why does everyone assume someone learning to play golf on a Championship course is going to slow you down? My wife is a relatively new golfer and she is often wondering why we have to wait to hit our shots. She plays very fast and will pick up her ball if she is having a bad hole. I have had to wait for a long time for experienced golfers who refuse to stop searching for their lost ball because they don’t want to take a penalty stroke. And don’t even get me going on the foursome that does not play ready golf and treats every put as though it is to win the Masters.
Old 09-07-2020, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post
Nothing worse than being behind slow players. If you are hitting your ninth shot on a par 4, pick it up and move on
Actually you should pick it up after your 7th shot on a par 4....Villages rule no more than 3 over par.
Old 09-07-2020, 09:24 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Why does everyone assume someone learning to play golf on a Championship course is going to slow you down? My wife is a relatively new golfer and she is often wondering why we have to wait to hit our shots. She plays very fast and will pick up her ball if she is having a bad hole. I have had to wait for a long time for experienced golfers who refuse to stop searching for their lost ball because they don’t want to take a penalty stroke. And don’t even get me going on the foursome that does not play ready golf and treats every put as though it is to win the Masters.
I'm sorry. My point was to make her feel more comfortable. The OP asked about the best (more forgiving) course to play. I just asumed the OP wanted advice. Obviously I shouldn't have posted my suggestions. Thanks for setting me straight.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
I'm sorry. My point was to make her feel more comfortable. The OP asked about the best (more forgiving) course to play. I just asumed the OP wanted advice. Obviously I shouldn't have posted my suggestions. Thanks for setting me straight.
Northwoods, thank you for your post. It was a good reply to my op and did not warrant the sort of reply that you got.

Last edited by Polar Bear; 09-08-2020 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Yes, but not in TV.
This will be my first "thumbs up" for ALL of your posts
Old 09-08-2020, 08:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
No one is assuming that every new player plays slow. Responses were to a statement saying "Don't worry about the people behind you."

But in general, people who are new to golf, are going to take a lot more shots. They also often don't know where to stand or when it is their turn to play. It takes some time for them to learn these things. Unfortunately, some never do. But the first things that every new golfer should learn is to be considerate of the people around you and take care of the course.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Sorry but that statement needed to be addressed. It one of the basic tenets of proper golf course etiquette.
My post wasn’t directed at you, Doc. I had the same reaction as you did to the post you quoted! LOL! I just didn’t want the whole thread to turn in to nothing but complaints about slow golfers.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtrans View Post
Actually you should pick it up after your 7th shot on a par 4....Villages rule no more than 3 over par.
I thought that it was double par. Six on a par three, eight on a par four and ten on a par five.

I don't know that it's a rule rather than a suggestion.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quite a few of the Exec courses from the back tees are a good test for any beginner.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Quite a few of the Exec courses from the back tees are a good test for any beginner.
ALL of the executive courses are a good test for any beginner. In fact, other than driving, they are a good test for any golfer. It's simply a matter of how well you score. A good player can play an easy executive course and if he doesn't shoot even par or better, he's not happy. A beginner playing an easy executive course may be thrilled if they make a few bogies or a par.

I have a friend who was all excited because he made a birdie on an executive course. I don't play like I used to, but if I don't make a birdie in nine holes, I'm disappointed.

The test has to do with your expectations, not your ability.

The easiest course on the PGA tour is TPC Cromwell in Connecticut. But the players go there knowing that they are going to have to shoot three or four under just to make the cut. The hardest course is usually the US Open course. Players go there knowing that if they shoot even par, they might have a chance to win. At Cromwell they are going to need to shoot 24 under or so to win.

The easiest holes in relation to par for the tour players are par fives. But in relation to what all of the other players are doing, they are the most difficult. Players come to a 580 yard holes knowing that they need to make four in order to not lose ground.

Par is really irrelevant. The difficulty of a course is really irrelevant.

Old 09-08-2020, 10:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
...Par is really irrelevant. The difficulty of a course is really irrelevant.
In competitive golf, I totally agree. For a beginner trying to have some fun and learn the game, not so much!

Last edited by Polar Bear; 09-08-2020 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
ALL of the executive courses are a good test for any beginner. In fact, other than driving, they are a good test for any golfer. It's simply a matter of how well you score. A good player can play an easy executive course and if he doesn't shoot even par or better, he's not happy. A beginner playing an easy executive course may be thrilled if they make a few bogies or a par.

I have a friend who was all excited because he made a birdie on an executive course. I don't play like I used to, but if I don't make a birdie in nine holes, I'm disappointed.

The test has to do with your expectations, not your ability.

The easiest course on the PGA tour is TPC Cromwell in Connecticut. But the players go there knowing that they are going to have to shoot three or four under just to make the cut. The hardest course is usually the US Open course. Players go there knowing that if they shoot even par, they might have a chance to win. At Cromwell they are going to need to shoot 24 under or so to win.

The easiest holes in relation to par for the tour players are par fives. But in relation to what all of the other players are doing, they are the most difficult. Players come to a 580 yard holes knowing that they need to make four in order to not lose ground.

Par is really irrelevant. The difficulty of a course is really irrelevant.
I don't think the OP is trying to get his wife to qualify for the Pro Circuit, just test her game a little more!
Old 09-08-2020, 01:24 PM
Location: Native to West Palm Beach, FL I am renting current home, yet to decide if TV will be next move.

Quote:
Don't worry about the people behind you????? That is the worst piece of advice I've ever heard given to a golfer.
Yep, agree 100% most useless advice for Golfers 101

I am not a golfer but dated one for a time and remember the most talked about “golfer etiquette” topic which was always being courteous and allowing the faster players to “play through”.

I plan to learn golf in TV and as a newbie I know I would feel “pressured” if I had several other golfers waiting and watching me, a smile and a “Play through wave” is what I will do.
Closed Thread

Tags
champ, easiest, word, friendliest, holes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.