How far do you walk when you walk an executive course?

Closed Thread
Old 04-04-2015, 09:55 PM
Sage
Default How far do you walk when you walk an executive course?

I was playing Mangrove in a pick-up group and one of the players told me he was using an app that measured the distance he walked. He told me that Mangrove was 4 miles. Since 4 miles is 7,000 yards this seems hard to believe. Wouldn't you agree?

Could anyone recommend an Android app [THAT THEY ARE CURRENTLY USING] to measure distance?

When you use a cart on an exec course, how much walking are you doing going to and from the cart? Do you think it's about half as much as walking the entire course?

I don't own a golf cart. Is there an odometer on a golf cart that measures the distance traveled to the tenth of a mile while playing? I think adding 20% would account for the ball going left and right.

If I look up a course on google maps, is there anyway of measuring how long of a walk it is point to point as the crow flies? That may be a clever way to estimate the distance walked.

If I can figure out the distance walked, or a good method found for measuring I will share it.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:32 PM
Sage

Once you go to all this trouble to figure out how far you walked, what would you do with this information?
Old 04-04-2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
i was playing mangrove in a pick-up group and one of the players told me he was using an app that measured the distance he walked. He told me that mangrove was 4 miles. Since 4 miles is 7,000 yards this seems hard to believe. Wouldn't you agree?

Could anyone recommend an android app [that they are currently using] to measure distance?

When you use a cart on an exec course, how much walking are you doing going to and from the cart? Do you think it's about half as much as walking the entire course?

I don't own a golf cart. Is there an odometer on a golf cart that measures the distance traveled to the tenth of a mile while playing? I think adding 20% would account for the ball going left and right.

If i look up a course on google maps, is there anyway of measuring how long of a walk it is point to point as the crow flies? That may be a clever way to estimate the distance walked.

If i can figure out the distance walked, or a good method found for measuring i will share it.
what?????????????
Old 04-04-2015, 10:45 PM

Download the app Map my Walk. Play a round on any course and it will tell you how far you have walked in Miles. It is very accurate. We use it all the time. Great for bike riding also!
Old 04-05-2015, 06:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Depends on our badly you play. If you are hitting the green most of the time less steps, are you helping look for someone's ball. It won't be the same each time
Old 04-05-2015, 07:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

3 to 4 miles for an executive course sounds about right. I walk all the courses and track steps too. The championship courses are 8 to 10 miles, depending upon the course.

When tracking your steps or mileage, you have to remember you do a lot of walking around the greens. Sometimes, the walk from the green to the next tee box is a hike too.

The hint of using Map-My-Walk is a good one. If you have an iPhone, you can use the Health App to track your steps too.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:19 AM
Gold member

Most exec. courses are around 1 to 2 miles...measured using an accurate odometer...not some app that relies on the length of your stride...none are anywhere near 4 miles...a 6100 yard championship course isn't even 5 miles and that takes into account the actual walking done..not a Villages one as that wanders all over the place with as much as a 1/4mi. between green and the next tee...
Old 04-05-2015, 05:56 PM

Map my run is a good free app. No way Is Mangrove four miles. None of the executive courses come even close to that.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:01 PM
Sage
Default How far do you walk when you walk an executive course?

Seems like some of you are talking about distance actually walked during a round, others are talking about "crow flies" distance around the course. Apples and oranges. Might want to just clarify each post as to which you are referring to.

(By the way, no way the executive courses are 4 miles as the crow flies. I really don't have a clue what total walking distances might average...which appears to be what the OP is asking about.)
Old 04-05-2015, 11:43 PM

Just walked Pimlico and Volusia. Both around 6000 steps and A little over 2 miles. Great work out and you feel like you're really close to nature. I'll be walking until the heat of the summer.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:16 AM
Sage

Good for you walking Volusia, it seems quite hilly.
Pimlico and El Santiago are easier to walk because they're flat.

Last edited by Barefoot; 04-06-2015 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:54 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

They range from 2 to 3 miles, plus a hill or 2.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I was playing Mangrove in a pick-up group and one of the players told me he was using an app that measured the distance he walked. He told me that Mangrove was 4 miles. Since 4 miles is 7,000 yards this seems hard to believe. Wouldn't you agree?

Could anyone recommend an Android app [THAT THEY ARE CURRENTLY USING] to measure distance?

If I look up a course on google maps, is there anyway of measuring how long of a walk it is point to point as the crow flies? That may be a clever way to estimate the distance walked.

If I can figure out the distance walked, or a good method found for measuring I will share it.
My Garmin G6 says 1.75 to 2.1 miles for most executive courses
Old 04-06-2015, 10:13 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

If you walk the cart path only all the way around, an executive is 2.0 to 2.5 and a championship about 5 or 6 depending on the course. Some are longer because of distance between green and next tee. I have walked and tracked several courses using Map my walk, a pedometer, and if I ride, the golf cart speedometer. Walking most executive courses is about 3.0 to 4.0 miles and most championship is between 7.5 and 8.5.

Remember when walking you cover the entire distance using the black tee's even if your playing the white, never a straight line (at least mine are never straight), and lots of walking around other areas. Tee box, green, rest rooms, going to help someone look for a ball, and many other things. And there are huge variations. Think about the difference on Palmer between Riley Grove and Cherry Hill. It's slightly over a mile longer for Cherry Hill 9 because of all the distance between holes.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgg7933 View Post
Download the app Map my Walk. Play a round on any course and it will tell you how far you have walked in Miles. It is very accurate. We use it all the time. Great for bike riding also!
I took your advice and downloaded Map my Walk. I walked Turtle Mound this morning in the exec tournament. It is a 1.5 mile walk. That is a pretty short course with no par 4's and the tees are close to the previous green.

I'm going out later and will try to play Palmetto or Sweetgum or Mangrove.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.