Best golf ball for beginners

Closed Thread
Old 03-31-2021, 05:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
In my experience, the brand of the golf ball is the last thing to focus on. Getting a consistent swing, understanding which club to use under different circumstances, and (especially) putting are some things to focus on first.
I agree. Choice of ball is important for good players and the most important factor in choosing a ball is spin rate.

Years ago when Titleist introduced the Pro-V1 I attended a seminar on that ball and other Titliest products. I was told that the difference between the Pro-V1 and the next ball in their line was that the Pro-V1 spun much faster on shots inside of forty yards. Otherwise performance was identical.

Now, how many players need that much more spin on short shots?

For a beginner, any ball will do. Once you're able to play a bit it's important that you find a ball and stick with it. I see people using a different ball on every hole. The thing about that it that not all balls travel the same distance. You might hit your nine iron 100 with one ball but only 90 with another. It's not so much a question of the longer one being better, it's that idea that when you have a 100 yard shot and you hit it perfect, you don't want to come up ten yards short.

Most players look for the longest ball and then complain that their ball doesn't stop on the green. The longest balls generally have the lowest spin rate. So if you're going to play with a Pinnacle or Top Flite or any so called "distance ball". Don't expect it to take one bounce and stop.

Sometimes your better off with a ball that carries a few yards shorter but can be controlled better.

Again, this advice is for people who can play a bit. For beginners, don't worry about it. Play with all of the those 1,500 balls and then consult a PGA prefessional on which ball may be best for you.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-31-2021, 06:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoogley View Post
Count the dimples on each ball
Measure the depth of each dimple
The one with the most and deepest dimples will be the one most affected
Speed distance and height.
Lol.
Weight must be 1 ounce.
The weight must not be more than 1.62 ounces.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.

Last edited by Dr Winston O Boogie jr; 03-31-2021 at 06:09 AM.
Old 03-31-2021, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Now that I am vaccinated I am ready for lessons. Which ball would be best for me, or is this a personal thing?

I have gathered 1,500 or so balls during COVID so I have plenty of whatever brand is the'best'.
It's really not going 2 make a difference 4 u for a while so hit whatever u find, buy or r given but always enjoy the journey.
Old 03-31-2021, 06:34 AM
Location: Newburgh NY, Berwick PA, Grand Forks ND, Tampa Fl, Wenatchee Wash, TN, OK, TX, NC, OH, FL

After you hit your 1500 balls, you will know which ones you like best. At least you will be a real swinger after hitting 1500. Have a good stance, and keep your eye on the ball. Beginners are quick to see how far the ball goes which won’t be far if you don’t keep your eye on the ball. You may wish to go back to finding balls as you did at least enjoy finding all those balls. Maybe better to find then to loose lol. You will enjoy success, practice, practice, practice
Old 03-31-2021, 07:39 AM

Soft cover unless you are a big powerful person
Old 03-31-2021, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,670 Times in 5,225 Posts

If you are using found golf balls, it is not possible to know how old they are. I would suggest you buy some new balls to compare them to the old balls, because golf balls will wear out over time. Some of the tour players use a new golf ball on every hole.
Old 03-31-2021, 01:08 PM

Ones that float are good.
Old 03-31-2021, 01:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

The Villages Florida
Old 03-31-2021, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
I'm just a casual putter user so far and I find there is a big difference in how different balls react while putting. I would suggest sticking to the same type of ball for a while, especially for putting consistency.
This is a really good point. With a two-piece distance ball like a Pinnacle, the ball jumps off the club when putting or chipping. And when chipping, you get no spin, more roll. A three-piece ball like a Pro V1 comes off the putter "softly" and checks up when chipping.

Anyway, I would suggest using the same type of ball all the time. Use a two-piece ball when starting out because they are cheaper. When you get better, switch to a three-piece ball. When your game improves and it's time to switch, you'll understand why.
Old 04-01-2021, 09:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet2020 View Post
This is a really good point. With a two-piece distance ball like a Pinnacle, the ball jumps off the club when putting or chipping. And when chipping, you get no spin, more roll. A three-piece ball like a Pro V1 comes off the putter "softly" and checks up when chipping.

Anyway, I would suggest using the same type of ball all the time. Use a two-piece ball when starting out because they are cheaper. When you get better, switch to a three-piece ball. When your game improves and it's time to switch, you'll understand why.
It's gotten much more complicated than that. For example, the Pro-V1 i a three piece ball and the Pro-V1x is a four piece ball. Some companies have even introduced five-piece balls. There is one ball that a company no longer makes and it came in two version. The two-piece version actually spun more than the three piece version.

It's also a question of how much a ball spins off of certain shots. On a driver you want less spin and on a wedge you want more. But that can vary tremendously from ball to ball. Golf ball technology is absolutely incredible these days.

But the bottom line is, as many people have pointed out, that to someone who is just starting to play golf, this is all meaningless. A beginner should just play with any ball that they find or the cheapest ball that they can buy.

The ball is the last thing that a beginner needs to think about.

Old 04-01-2021, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Old soft balls.
Hey, that's what the kids call me
Closed Thread

Tags
ball, beginners, brand, plenty, covid

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.