Slow pace of play on championship courses again

Closed Thread
Old 10-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Default Slow pace of play on championship courses again

During the past 8 days, I have played 4 championship golf courses. (Cane, Mallory, Glenview and Tierra Del Sol). The pace of play has been painfully slow (over 4 1/2 hours and one time 4:45 minutes). My groups have spoken to the Club manager each time. Mostly they acknowledge the pace of play has been slow and the ambassadors have attempted to get the offending groups to move along, but seem to be unable to do so. The ambassadors are in a no win situation, they have unhappy golfers because we wait at every tee box and on the fairways to hit our second shots, etc and slow golfers who don't care they are behind schedule. At TDS on Friday, at the turn the starter did get the Asst. Manager out on the course to speed things up. Playing Cane yesterday (Sunday) we teed off on Jacaranda, and when we reached the second hole we encountered 3 other groups on the hole. The ambassador indicated in order to speed up play all groups have been instructed to drive 15 ft. up to the greens. It did help a little, but still the round of golf took more than 4 1/2 hours. Just venting, but if this is an indication of what we have in store for us once the seasonal residents return, it will be a very long season. I hope tomorrow the round at Cane Garden won't be as slow.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:53 PM

We closed on a CYV this spring and will be down for our first full winter in November. The wife and I bought golf clubs with the hope of trying to golf. From what I am reading here it looks like our lack of experience will hold things up and will upset many. Not wanting to cause problems are there any suggestions? What do the newbees do? We were all beginners at one time.
Bob
Old 10-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Sage
Default I am not there yet so just speculating

Time of day? Coming up on the end of summer rates. Afternoon rates are very cheap and may attract less experienced golfers for a few last swings??

Slow play is an issue at every almost every club I have played, not isolated to TV. The winters in TV are no worse that anywhere else from my experience. What you have described is worse than my experiences in past winters in TV.

Like I have said in other threads about conditions and overseeding, I will remain hopeful.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Platinum member

I suggest newbees play the shorter 9 hole courses and make sure they play with an experience couple who can give the beginner tips on how to speed up play
Old 10-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob45 View Post
We closed on a CYV this spring and will be down for our first full winter in November. The wife and I bought golf clubs with the hope of trying to golf. From what I am reading here it looks like our lack of experience will hold things up and will upset many. Not wanting to cause problems are there any suggestions? What do the newbees do? We were all beginners at one time.
Bob
One rule I remember:

Quote:
Show up, keep up and shut up!
Oh wait, that was the tips for being a caddy

Because you are a beginner does not mean you will be slow. Google around for golf pace of play, lots of good information. Once you understand some basic etiquette about pace of play you should have no trouble. Here is an example:

http://golf.about.com/od/golfetiquet...paceofplay.htm

Get your feet wet on the executive courses. The big advantage there is if you feel you are holding up play, pick up your ball move it up the fairway. Since it is free, it does not matter.

Other tricks I have seen:
  • Always use a tee even off the fairway until you feel confident hitting
  • Pick up after double par
  • Play a scramble with your wife. You each hit, select the best shot and you each hit from there.
You will be fine, learn etiquette, learn to play, enjoy the journey of the game.

Last edited by ajbrown; 10-11-2010 at 01:57 PM. Reason: poor proof read
Old 10-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
One rule I remember:

Oh wait, that was the tips for being a caddy

Because you are a beginner does not mean you will be slow. Google around for golf pace of play, lots of good information. Once you understand some basic etiquette about pace of play you should have no trouble. Here is an example:

http://golf.about.com/od/golfetiquet...paceofplay.htm

Get your feet wet on the executive courses. The big advantage there is if you feel you are holding up play, pick up your ball move it up the fairway. Since it is free, it does not matter.

Other tricks I have seen:
  • Always use a tee even off the fairway until you feel confident hitting
  • Pick up after double par
  • Play a scramble with your wife. You each hit, select the best shot and you each hit from there.
You will be fine, learn etiquette, learn to play, enjoy the journey of the game.
Bravo! A reasonable proactive response. Golf is supposed to enjoyable. All too many golfers want to fly through the game so that they can go. . . where? The PGA has published that 4 to 4.5 hours for a country club type course is a normal speed (about 15 minutes per hole). See http://www.playgolfamerica.com/Graph...ng_to_play.pdf

Last edited by Indydealmaker; 10-11-2010 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Another senior moment
Old 10-11-2010, 02:28 PM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=ncr2482;298446]During the past 8 days, I have played 4 championship golf courses. (Cane, Mallory, Glenview and Tierra Del Sol). The pace of play has been painfully slow (over 4 1/2 hours and one time 4:45 minutes). My groups have spoken to the Club manager each time. Mostly they acknowledge the pace of play has been slow and the ambassadors have attempted to get the offending groups to move along, but seem to be unable to do so. The ambassadors are in a no win situation, they have unhappy golfers because we wait at every tee box and on the fairways to hit our second shots, etc and slow golfers who don't care they are behind schedule. At TDS on Friday, at the turn the starter did get the Asst. Manager out on the course to speed things up. Playing Cane yesterday (Sunday) we teed off on Jacaranda, and when we reached the second hole we encountered 3 other groups on the hole. The ambassador indicated in order to speed up play all groups have been instructed to drive 15 ft. up to the greens. It did help a little, but still the round of golf took more than 4 1/2 hours. Just venting, but if this is an indication of what we have in store for us once the seasonal residents return, it will be a very long season. I hope tomorrow the round at Cane Garden won't be as slow.[/QUOTE

How many were in your group? 4 and half hours where I play is very good.
I was in a twosome following a foursome and it was dreadful on Saturday.
Can't wait to be able to play every day. I'm soooo jealous. I guess in Utopia things could be so rough!
Old 10-11-2010, 02:53 PM

FYI, already begun on October 1st, Lifestyle Preview visits are now being offered for a maximum of two weeks instead of the customary max of six nights . And this is at $100 per nite for a couple. Additional couple in the same house is an additional $50. So, do the math. That's some bargain for one or two couples for a two week vacation, with coupons, golf cart and all. So, don't you think the golf courses are going to get crowded. And the birds haven't returned yet. There you go!
Old 10-11-2010, 04:19 PM
Default New to golf doesn't have to mean "slow"

Bob45 - that was good advice above, from the former caddie. If you start to hold up others, just pick up your ball and move on. The idea of playing a "best ball" with your spouse is good too.

And don't agonize and pray over every shot for 3 minutes like some golfers, good or bad, do, like their lives are depending on it. Sometimes new golfers hear so many criteria like "keep your head down" etc. that they're processing everything except "just hit the ball".

It's supposed to be fun, and you'll have fun when you hit some shots that sail high and straight toward the pin.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Default Pace of play

FYI- Recommended pace of play on TV Championship courses in approx. 4 hours and 15 minutes (per the scorecards). On the card, each hole has the pace of play time. Someone asked the question regarding the number of players in my group. The TDS group was a threesome and naturally we factor that into the equation. I brought this issue up because up until last week we could play a round in under 4 hours. ...but recently the rounds have been more than 4 1/2 hours, closer to 4 3/4 to 5 hours. My groups play in the morning. One of the Cane ambassadors was guessing that many non-priority players are playing before the rates increase on October 15th. Everyone in our group (3 foursomes) on Sunday agreed that might be the reason.Just a cautionary note to expect slower play.It won't keep me from playing golf, tomorrow playing at Cane Garden in the morning, I will keep you posted to see how it goes.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:16 PM

Played at Havana in the afternoon wave today and finished in under four hours. I think we might have waited on two or three holes max to tee off.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:38 PM

My wife and I moved to The Villages in February and had never played golf. We went to the Palmer Academy for for the 5 day New to Golf program. Following that we went to the Good Golf seminar. Finally we arrived on the local 9 hole course, talked to the starter and met the Amabassador and told them our situation because we did not want to get in the way of experienced golfers. They said we would have no problems - and we didn't - the Academy and the Good Golf seminar tell you how to get around the course as a beginner.

Evidently the problems occur with beginners who have never played before, have not been to the Academy or taken the Good Golf seminar and turn up on the course with a golf club in their hands for the very first time. So, if you are new to golf I would highly recommend you start out with the New To Golf program at the Palmer Academy - it has served us well.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
Time of day? Coming up on the end of summer rates. Afternoon rates are very cheap and may attract less experienced golfers for a few last swings??

Slow play is an issue at every almost every club I have played, not isolated to TV. The winters in TV are no worse that anywhere else from my experience. What you have described is worse than my experiences in past winters in TV.

Like I have said in other threads about conditions and overseeding, I will remain hopeful.
I asked the same question in the "new members forum" in the thread "Newbie Golfers." There were some good suggestions from others. We decided to treat ourselves and take the New Golfers lessons as suggested - our goal is not to be great golfers or even good - we just want to have a good time and not interfere with others having a good time. We also wanted to know the "rules of etiquette." Other suggestions were to golf later in the day, use the executive courses (they are ranked as to difficulty), take the one hour etiquette course, pick up your ball and move on if you have tried and are holding up others, and ENJOY.

We are still "wannabees", but will be looking when we arrive later this month. Congratulations on your purchase AND good luck with golf!
Old 10-11-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowleesCreekYachtClub View Post
My wife and I moved to The Villages in February and had never played golf. We went to the Palmer Academy for for the 5 day New to Golf program. Following that we went to the Good Golf seminar. Finally we arrived on the local 9 hole course, talked to the starter and met the Amabassador and told them our situation because we did not want to get in the way of experienced golfers. They said we would have no problems - and we didn't - the Academy and the Good Golf seminar tell you how to get around the course as a beginner.

Evidently the problems occur with beginners who have never played before, have not been to the Academy or taken the Good Golf seminar and turn up on the course with a golf club in their hands for the very first time. So, if you are new to golf I would highly recommend you start out with the New To Golf program at the Palmer Academy - it has served us well.
BowlesCreekYachtClub - where do we find the Good Golf Seminar - Is that also at Palmer and we will hear about it when we take our lessons? Thank you for sharing.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwbevan View Post
BowlesCreekYachtClub - where do we find the Good Golf Seminar - Is that also at Palmer and we will hear about it when we take our lessons? Thank you for sharing.
Go here for info on Good Golf Seminar:
http://golfthevillages.com/golf-academy/newtogolf.asp
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.