Bonita Pass Executive Course

Closed Thread
Old 02-07-2010, 12:58 PM
Gold member
Default Bonita Pass Executive Course

Doe anyone know why it has been closed for so long and when it will reopen?
Old 02-07-2010, 01:39 PM
Sage

The last time I played Bonita Pass (before it closed) the greens were absolutely awful....no grass at all, just dirt and sand. Don't know if they just weren't ready or some chemical problem but I suspect they had to rebuild them from scratch. Played Redfish today and Bonita looked pretty good. Haven't heard any definite date on when it will reopen.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:06 PM
Default golf

Why are the greens and tees looking so poor on all the courses? Included are the Champ. as well as the execs.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:39 PM
Veteran member

golfers not repairing ball marks creates the little brown spots that take longer to repair themselves. While I'm on the finger pointing rant...........too many think it is everyone elses job to rake traps and put sand in divots on tees. Sure sick of a shot landing in a deep foot print in sand or unrepaired divot mark (gouges in some cases) on fairways.

There, I feel better.......however it won't fix any of the lazy habits that are common here. I wish these "golfers" would take more pride in their courses.

Last edited by chuckster; 02-07-2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster View Post
golfers not repairing ball marks creates the little brown spots that take longer to repair themselves. While I'm on the finger pointing rant...........too many think it is everyone elses job to rake traps and put sand in divots on tees. Sure sick of a shot landing in a deep foot print in sand or unrepaired divot mark (gouges in some cases) on fairways.

There, I feel better.......however it won't fix any of the lazy habits that are common here. I wish these "golfers" would take more pride in their courses.
There are very few tips by Phil on how to play out of a heel mark . Rub of the green is one thing, but how a person can dig feet in hit shot (or more likely 3 shots ) and leave is beyond me. Could certainly be a case made for ground under repair.

As far as the course conditions, I really believe it is this weather. This has been a lousy winter IMO.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:04 AM
Eternal Member

I particularly like the way the footprints in the trap go right past a rake. Too lazy to pick it up?

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:25 AM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

I so agree about the bunkers. A lot of time I feel I am the only one who rakes.
It is funny I always get fisheyes from folks when I take the time to repair a divot. Like "Quit holding up play!"
I wondered about Bonita also. We played it about two weeks after it opened and it looked great. Enjoyed the figure 8 shape of it. The on the next trip which was mid Jan saw it was closed?

Army Guy
Old 02-08-2010, 08:53 AM
Veteran member
Location: Indiana,the Villages,Port Charlotte fl ,Summerfield fl, The villages again

One other thing that really BUGS ME!........I have been seeing a lot more cigarette butts on the greens and on the course.
If you are going to smoke....take the butts with you!
Old 02-08-2010, 09:03 AM
Gold member
Default bonita

I am getting worried about the conditions of the golf courses. I'm an avid golfer looking to purchase a home but if the courses are in bad shape I will look elsewhere. As far as butts,divots etc what are the course rangers doing?
Old 02-08-2010, 09:29 AM
Gold member

Wayne, don't get worried. The courses as a whole are in and look great. We go down about twice a month and play several times on different courses each time and I see nothing wrong. We are just being picky as we should to keep it nice! I have seen the Rangers on my times picking up any trash and broken tees.

Army Guy
Old 02-08-2010, 11:20 AM
Platinum member

It's that time of year. Visitor / renters !!!!!!!!!
Old 02-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Gold member

In our society we want things now. When we buy a new electronic device we take it out of the box and immediately start to play with it, never taking time to read the instructions. (Unless we absolutely can't get it to work.)

Same goes for golf here in TV. People move here, have never played before, and haven't taken the time to really learn the game, including common etiquette and care of the course. My favorite is the person who ends up in the trap, has to move the rake to get to the ball, takes 5 shots to get out (including one hand wedge), but never rakes the mess made.

The ambassadors should have a supply of The Villages "Good Golf Guide" and hand it to anyone they see misusing the courses. Or maybe initial a form before each round stating they understand and will abide by the rules on proper care of the course.

The best we can all do given the circumstances: When waiting to putt fix your ball mark and one more. When you hit into a trap rake your footprints and any others in that trap. Share your sand bottle with those who don't have one. Enjoy the game and don't get worked up over those who simply don't know they are not "good" golfers, hopefully they'll learn soon.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:35 PM
Gold member

Bogey, I agree. My belief always is, "Leave it better then you found it".

Army Guy
Old 02-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Veteran member

Well put Army, Bogey.........I agree.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,354 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever View Post
Why are the greens and tees looking so poor on all the courses? Included are the Champ. as well as the execs.
If you look back at all the days we had of extreme cold weather, should answer why the courses are in less than good condition. We should thankful there is any grass left. This has been a tough year for the grass.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.