Bonita Pass Executive Course

Closed Thread
Old 02-08-2010, 07:13 PM
Eternal Member

We played Mallory Hill today (Amelia &Caroline) and found the greens to be in excellent shape. Found pin settings to be placed in some very difficult spots. A 2 foot putt would break 4-6 inches. Almost to the point of ridiculous.Fairways are getting better. Barring any real; bad weather they should be plush in a couple weeks. Tee boxes also are coming around.

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:04 PM
Platinum member

All of the posters are correct about golfers expecting too much, mistreating the course etc., but I also think the TV golf course maintenance staff could improve on their work. Since January 18, after the destructive frosts, I have played four nearby courses, all with greens fees of $34 dollars or less. All four were in better condition, tee to green, than Nancy Lopez, Cane Garden, and six different executive courses I've played in the same period. Yesterday I played the most expensive course, Baseline. It was gorgeous! How do THEY do it?

I live on the Lopez course. Every year, just before Nancy comes to give her clinics the maintenance staff turns into a small army and suddenly the course improves dramatically. I've been told that in previous years Nancy came to town early and made it clear she was not happy with course conditions. The Bonita Pass closing was an unfortunate result of someone deciding to open the course too early. The greens were just not ready for non-stop play. They were in very poor condition even before the first frost.

We love TV golf and it's fabulous when we can roll out the door and play really beautiful courses. But good maintenance is a constant challenge and we need to make it clear to course superintendents how important these TV assets are, that we don't take them for granted, and we expect them to maintain the high standards set in the past.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:28 AM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

I do agree about the maint. But hen again in defense of TV, with as many courses as we have it is very hard to keep pristine. But I think they still do a very good job.

Army Guy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.