Bunker raking...

Closed Thread
Old 11-21-2020, 04:07 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts
Default Bunker raking...

So I played with three great ladies today at Okeechobee. Beautiful day to play. One of the ladies hit it in the bunker on no.9. She didn't even attempt to rake it. Now when I'm playing and someone in the group goes into a bunker and doesn't rake I go in after them and rake where they've been. I don't say a word...I just do the right thing. The woman thanked me and I said, "no problem, my pleasure."

She said she thought it was optional...I said no....it's what you're supposed to do since they put the rakes back in the bunkers. Another of the ladies said she never rakes bunkers and I responded that if it were me playing with her I'd do it for her with no comment at all.

So it turns out that many villagers just don't rake bunkers for a variety of reasons. Listen folks....if you play golf put sand in your divots, repair pitch marks on the green and rake your bunkers(bring the rake with you to you ball and rake your way back out...no...dragging the rake behind you is not raking the bunker!). If you can't do these simple tasks then perhaps shuffle board is more your speed.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,349 Times in 2,505 Posts

You get used to raking for other players, and as for repairing divots, you could spend a whole round repairing them.
Ignorance of etequette, is endemic on TV golf courses!
Old 11-21-2020, 05:12 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Raking bunkers is still optional
Old 11-21-2020, 05:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Whenever I'm playing with someone who is somewhat out of focus with the game. I'll ask them 'have been to the Villages Good Golf School, if not, you'll get a lot of good information". I took the class when I moved here in 2011 and I had been playing golf since 1962. For one thing, you'll learn where the Villages prefers you place the rake after raking.

Good Golf School

No

The Villages Florida

Yes

The Villages Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley
You forgot a smiley face, you obviously were kidding, right?
Old 11-21-2020, 07:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Whenever I'm playing with someone who is somewhat out of focus with the game. I'll ask them 'have been to the Villages Good Golf School, if not, you'll get a lot of good information". I took the class when I moved here in 2011 and I had been playing golf since 1962. For one thing, you'll learn where the Villages prefers you place the rake after raking.

Good Golf School

No

The Villages Florida

Yes

The Villages Florida

You forgot a smiley face, you obviously were kidding, right?
Nope, still optional in this world of Covid paranoia
Old 11-21-2020, 08:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

I carry my own rake. I ordered a Bond telescoping rake off of Amazon ($17) for the few times I'm in a bunker so I don't have to grab the handle of a rake that has been held by hands that have been no telling where.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley View Post
Nope, still optional in this world of Covid paranoia
You should either carry your own rake or stay home if you're afraid to touch a rake. Everything is optional, playing golf is optional.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:38 PM
Veteran member

Some people rake well, others don't. Years ago, you were just told to smooth out the sand with the back of your sand wedge upon leaving the trap. I remember seeing Gary Player do this during a match back then at Firestone Country Club. Other people have no idea what the rake is for.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
You should either carry your own rake or stay home if you're afraid to touch a rake. Everything is optional, playing golf is optional.
Never said I was afraid. I always rake bunkers, that is when I'm in one. What's the problem? Paranoia not wanting to grab a rake
Old 11-22-2020, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley View Post
Yes it is optional because of the COVID-19 virus, however, your feet can certainly smooth out your deep footprints and gauge you left in the sand from your shot, with out being exposed to any virus. It’s only golfer courtesy.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:38 AM
Default Pro Shuffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
So I played with three great ladies today at Okeechobee. Beautiful day to play. One of the ladies hit it in the bunker on no.9. She didn't even attempt to rake it. Now when I'm playing and someone in the group goes into a bunker and doesn't rake I go in after them and rake where they've been. I don't say a word...I just do the right thing. The woman thanked me and I said, "no problem, my pleasure."

She said she thought it was optional...I said no....it's what you're supposed to do since they put the rakes back in the bunkers. Another of the ladies said she never rakes bunkers and I responded that if it were me playing with her I'd do it for her with no comment at all.

So it turns out that many villagers just don't rake bunkers for a variety of reasons. Listen folks....if you play golf put sand in your divots, repair pitch marks on the green and rake your bunkers(bring the rake with you to you ball and rake your way back out...no...dragging the rake behind you is not raking the bunker!). If you can't do these simple tasks then perhaps shuffle board is more your speed.
Perhaps you should learn more about the game that you just slammed. If you had taken the time to actually learn to play the real game of shuffleboard you would find there is much more to it than pushing a disc. I am a District, State, National and International Champion, inducted into 2 Hall of Fames and 2 time FSA Masters Champion. I teach many in the Villages and outside to play shuffleboard properly. There is more strategy in this game than any other you will ever play. Etiquette is equal to golf as I play both.

Al
Old 11-22-2020, 06:44 AM

During this pandemic I would continue to play bunkers as preferred lie. If you are in a footprint or disturbed area move it, if it’s a decent lie play it, if it’s league or match refer to the group leader. But for fun rounds, such as this, keep it in the trap, give yourself a lie similar to normal times.

Most rounds of golf at TV are for fun, exercise, socializing, sunshine and fresh air. We don’t really have to fret about unkept traps unless your in the club championship.

Even when this pandemic has subsided your going to have the same issues. For now if people want to manage their own safety issues, just work around it.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:03 AM

I took new to golf school here in April. None of those things were covered. I learned them by playing with my experienced golfer best friend. New to golf school certainly needs to include these in its curriculum.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:22 AM
Veteran member

Good for her. With Covid I don’t take the bunkers either.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,349 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwirish View Post
Good for her. With Covid I don’t take the bunkers either.
Glad to hear it.
Been a lot of theft in TV lately!
Closed Thread

Tags
rake, bunker, bunkers, ladies, rakes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.