Bunker raking...

Closed Thread
Old 11-22-2020, 07:25 AM
Veteran member

So well said , courtesy for other players seems to some, just let the ambassador do it that is their job. Another gripe is players playing back tees when it takes two shots to the green on a hundred yard hole, move up to the forward tees .
Old 11-22-2020, 07:25 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,107 Times in 1,339 Posts

Whenever I am playing with someone that walks out of the trap without raking I just tell them "I'll get that". Usually they get the message and rake the next time... usually....
Old 11-22-2020, 07:32 AM

Since when is correct golf course etiquette optional?
Old 11-22-2020, 07:32 AM
Default Please explain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley View Post
Raking bunkers is still optional
Yes, please explain your comment.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:37 AM

Sorry folks
Covid. No rakes. No flags. Mask in waiting bullpen areas.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:42 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgio1948 View Post
Yes, please explain your comment.
I think I did in a previous post. It's a "touchable" item and up to the discretion of an individual, with this paranoia of Covid if they want to "touch" something that someone they don't know has previously "touched". It's pure paranoia with a touch of laziness, and a lousy excuse to not rake if you ask me.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Dronsfield View Post
Perhaps you should learn more about the game that you just slammed. If you had taken the time to actually learn to play the real game of shuffleboard you would find there is much more to it than pushing a disc. I am a District, State, National and International Champion, inducted into 2 Hall of Fames and 2 time FSA Masters Champion. I teach many in the Villages and outside to play shuffleboard properly. There is more strategy in this game than any other you will ever play. Etiquette is equal to golf as I play both.

Al
So what is the Etiquette in Shuffleboard that hinders the play of others if not followed?
Old 11-22-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Maybe for you but not if you have any concern for the people playing behind you. If you don't rake bunkers you shouldn't play at all.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:12 AM

Right now we are in a covid infection threat. I play golf twice a week but am reluctant to pick up a rake although I do it occasionally if I've severely messed up the sand. Long ago the rule became if you were in an unraked area, you can move your ball to a smooth area in the sand. It's not a big deal to do so and remember, it's just a game. We aren't pros and aren't trying to win a million dollars. With 21 new cases in the Villages yesterday, the worst it has been, I probably won't rake and I think they should remove the rakes again. It's not worth getting covid over.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
So they don’t want to touch the rake, so I assume those that don’t also play with a mask on. 😎
Old 11-22-2020, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
So I played with three great ladies today at Okeechobee. Beautiful day to play. One of the ladies hit it in the bunker on no.9. She didn't even attempt to rake it. Now when I'm playing and someone in the group goes into a bunker and doesn't rake I go in after them and rake where they've been. I don't say a word...I just do the right thing. The woman thanked me and I said, "no problem, my pleasure."

She said she thought it was optional...I said no....it's what you're supposed to do since they put the rakes back in the bunkers. Another of the ladies said she never rakes bunkers and I responded that if it were me playing with her I'd do it for her with no comment at all.

So it turns out that many villagers just don't rake bunkers for a variety of reasons. Listen folks....if you play golf put sand in your divots, repair pitch marks on the green and rake your bunkers(bring the rake with you to you ball and rake your way back out...no...dragging the rake behind you is not raking the bunker!). If you can't do these simple tasks then perhaps shuffle board is more your speed.
Thank you.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:30 AM

I just carry a mini sanitizer in my pocket and use after any contact with common items. Backup in cart and in bag. No I do not wear a glove, haven’t since my teens.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
So I played with three great ladies today at Okeechobee. Beautiful day to play. One of the ladies hit it in the bunker on no.9. She didn't even attempt to rake it. Now when I'm playing and someone in the group goes into a bunker and doesn't rake I go in after them and rake where they've been. I don't say a word...I just do the right thing. The woman thanked me and I said, "no problem, my pleasure."

She said she thought it was optional...I said no....it's what you're supposed to do since they put the rakes back in the bunkers. Another of the ladies said she never rakes bunkers and I responded that if it were me playing with her I'd do it for her with no comment at all.

So it turns out that many villagers just don't rake bunkers for a variety of reasons. Listen folks....if you play golf put sand in your divots, repair pitch marks on the green and rake your bunkers(bring the rake with you to you ball and rake your way back out...no...dragging the rake behind you is not raking the bunker!). If you can't do these simple tasks then perhaps shuffle board is more your speed.
I don't golf but understand exactly what you are saying. I feel the same about those THOUSANDS of grocery carts left in the parking spaces even when there is a return spot right beside them.

Good on you for showing by example!
Old 11-22-2020, 08:36 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

As explained, raking traps remains optional. If your ball lands in an unraked spot....move it, this is not a PGA Tourney. Lighten Up people.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:04 AM

In many states , due to Covid 19 , rakes for bunkers are no longer put out on the courses. New rules are you can lift clean and place after smoothing out sand with your foot if you don’t want to play it as it lies . Keep in mind how many people handle the rakes and do you use hand sanitizer after touching the rake or use a sanitizing wipe on the handle after you touch the rake . Could be people are cautious not to touch the rakes due to Covid 19 concerns.
Flag sticks must be left in , no touching. Which leaving the flag stick in actually speeds up play .
Closed Thread

Tags
rake, bunker, bunkers, ladies, rakes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.