Bunker raking...

Closed Thread
Old 11-22-2020, 09:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfryzel View Post
I took new to golf school here in April. None of those things were covered. I learned them by playing with my experienced golfer best friend. New to golf school certainly needs to include these in its curriculum.
"New to Golf" school" is something given by one the Villages instructors or a country club? The link in my post was to "The Villages Good Golf School", it's given once a month on a Thursday at Colony Cottage Rec Center. It's not geared towards a beginner, but more toward new to playing golf in TV. It's an introduction to the teetime system, local procedures such as raking, and most everything you'll need to know to play here. It's about 2-1/2 hours long with a country club pro providing the golf side of info and a Villages Golf Admin providing the technical side info.

If this is the class you took, they obviously have deleted some of the areas that should not have been. Since I had been playing about 50 years when I took the class almost ten years ago, where to replace the rake was one of the subjects I learned since every course can be different or not as detailed. The little white beacons at the end of most fairways, what does mean, the white beacon next to the cart path, items like these they will cover.

Here's another link with dates, next class is Thursday December 3rd, call (352) 750-4558 to reserve your spot.

https://www.golfthevillages.com/golf...GolfSchool.pdf
Old 11-22-2020, 09:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Whenever I'm playing with someone who is somewhat out of focus with the game. I'll ask them 'have been to the Villages Good Golf School, if not, you'll get a lot of good information". I took the class when I moved here in 2011 and I had been playing golf since 1962. For one thing, you'll learn where the Villages prefers you place the rake after raking.

Good Golf School

No

The Villages Florida

Yes

The Villages Florida

You forgot a smiley face, you obviously were kidding, right?
Optional due to COVID is the last I read from TV. Some still don’t want to touch it after many others have.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:35 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Been playing golf since moving to TV 6 years ago - 4X per week.

Confused. What are these 'bunker' things you folks are talking about?
Old 11-22-2020, 09:37 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley View Post
Raking bunkers is still optional

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoc7 View Post
Maybe for you but not if you have any concern for the people playing behind you. If you don't rake bunkers you shouldn't play at all.
People should really read through the whole thread, and the posts of others before making assumptions. If you are going to quote me please read all of my posts. Thank you!
Old 11-22-2020, 09:43 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
Confused. What are these 'bunker' things you folks are talking about?
Old 11-22-2020, 10:58 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts
Default Many pros use their shoe to smooth it out somewhat,

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
Some people rake well, others don't. Years ago, you were just told to smooth out the sand with the back of your sand wedge upon leaving the trap. I remember seeing Gary Player do this during a match back then at Firestone Country Club. Other people have no idea what the rake is for.
but what you missed was either the caddie going and doing the raking or a volunteer doing it. Pros don't use their putter head to take the ball out of hole either.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:01 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts
Default Hand sanitizer is what...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapbas View Post
During this pandemic I would continue to play bunkers as preferred lie. If you are in a footprint or disturbed area move it, if it’s a decent lie play it, if it’s league or match refer to the group leader. But for fun rounds, such as this, keep it in the trap, give yourself a lie similar to normal times.

Most rounds of golf at TV are for fun, exercise, socializing, sunshine and fresh air. We don’t really have to fret about unkept traps unless your in the club championship.

Even when this pandemic has subsided your going to have the same issues. For now if people want to manage their own safety issues, just work around it.
whenever I handle something that isn't mine. Quite simple really.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:02 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobob View Post
So well said , courtesy for other players seems to some, just let the ambassador do it that is their job.
No it's not
Old 11-22-2020, 11:17 AM

Yes, but after Gary did this, his caddie meticulously raked the bunker. Have seen it in numerous pro tournaments.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:28 AM

Several years ago, I played with a lady that would not rake the bunker. I asked why. She said she was a priority member and wasn't required to rake bunkers. Some people just have a perpetual sense of entitlement.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:40 PM

Who told you that??? Maybe you read it on the internet??
Old 11-22-2020, 12:58 PM

I'm curious as to what is considered poor etiquette on the shuffleboard courts?
Old 11-22-2020, 03:17 PM

And please don’t leave your cigarette butts on the ground.
Old 11-22-2020, 04:52 PM
Default Raking bunkers during Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimchristie View Post
Right now we are in a covid infection threat. I play golf twice a week but am reluctant to pick up a rake although I do it occasionally if I've severely messed up the sand. Long ago the rule became if you were in an unraked area, you can move your ball to a smooth area in the sand. It's not a big deal to do so and remember, it's just a game. We aren't pros and aren't trying to win a million dollars. With 21 new cases in the Villages yesterday, the worst it has been, I probably won't rake and I think they should remove the rakes again. It's not worth getting covid over.
I agree with not raking until this virus is under control. Have you noticed that the water fountains at the starter shacks are still wrapped up? If there wasn't an issue, they'd uncover them.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:20 PM
Veteran member

Just as an FYI this is still in effect as per USGA and is listed under "Temporary Posting under Covid Modifications" in The Villages "Golf The Villages"

Golf The Villages

"BUNKERS AND BUNKER RAKES

It is a normal part of the game to place a responsibility on all players to smooth sand in a bunker from which they have played. Committees have many options as to how to treat bunkers, which are largely dependent on the resources available.

In some cases, a committee may decide their best option is to remove all bunker rakes from the course. When this is done, it is possible for a player’s ball to come to rest in an unmaintained area of sand.
At minimum, it would be advisable to encourage players to try their best to smooth the disturbed area with a foot or a club after playing their ball from a bunker.
If you require cart use or most players at your course use a golf cart, the best approach might be to assign a rake to every golf cart, allowing players to operate as normal.
An additional option includes changing the status of bunkers to be part of the general area. This would give players additional options under multiple relief rules (Rules 16 and 19) and would remove the restrictions normally in effect under Rule 12.
Ground under repair could be used in two different manners. The first being to declare all bunkers to be ground under repair and treat them as part of the general area. This would allow players the option to take free relief outside the bunker under Rule 16.1. The second is to treat disturbed areas only as ground under repair. This would still allow a player free relief from such areas, but would require such relief to be taken elsewhere within the bunker.
As a last resort, a committee may add a preferred lies Local Rule that would allow a player to place the ball elsewhere in a bunker without penalty (such as within one club-length of where the ball came to rest). While that may seem like a good option in that it requires players to play from the bunker, there will be times when no effective relief would be available to a player, such as when a bunker is frequently played from and large areas are unraked. It would be recommended that the other options, such as those listed above, are considered first, noting that using the ground under repair options above ensure a player will get full relief and, when dropping from knee height, balls very rarely plug.
If a committee wishes for bunkers to be maintained, additional options include:
Make golf carts mandatory and supply a bunker rake to every player. The bunker rake handle must be cleansed prior to use on the golf cart. Each player may then use that rake after playing a stroke from a bunker.
Have one person walk with every group who is dedicated to raking bunkers for the group. This individual would be the only person who uses the bunker rake.
Leave all rakes on the course and provide every player with liquid sanitizer or cleansing wipes that would be used to disinfect the rake prior to and after each use, or alternatively, have players sanitize their hands after touching a bunker rake and before touching anything else (such as their golf club, bag or face).
If a committee takes any of the above actions, it is at the discretion of the committee whether scores would be acceptable for handicap purposes."

No more from me on this, deal with it
Closed Thread

Tags
rake, bunker, bunkers, ladies, rakes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.