Championship golf - Reasonable Accommodation changes on 1/1/21

Closed Thread
Old 07-21-2020, 02:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I thought that was always the requirement? How else were they getting RA's?
golf bosses wouldn't give me RA till I showed them handicap parking card. not anything new
Old 07-21-2020, 03:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,910 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swooner View Post
Have heard from several reliable sources that big changes are coming for the Reasonable Accommodation process on Championship Golf Courses. I suppose this could be a rumor but the sources I have heard this from are internal golf personnel who have been given this information at employee meetings. Here's the scoop:

Effective 1/1/21 current RA system is fazed out. In order to get similar privileges it will be necessary to get a Florida Handicap Placard with all that entails. No longer is it permissible to get walking relief on the golf course unless you are officially handicapped in accordance with State DMV rules. Despite the fact that I am physically unable to walk from Cart paths to Greens for 18 holes in the blistering sun I am still capable of walking from a non handicap space at a Publix parking lot to go to the front entrance. Therefore, I must be handicapped as defined by Florida DMV rules in order to drive within 15 feet of a putting surface (30 under the proposed rules). Basically this means I will have to either get my Dr. to falsify the degree of my walking disability to meet DMV Standards or quit playing golf in the friendly confines of TV. Additionally, I understand that restriction for proximity to greens and tees under the new system will be less advantages than at present.

Interested if anyone can shed further light on this subject.
If you read the whole thing, the part I like is that you shouldn't park in front of a green. There is nothing worse, especially when play is slow, than having someone with a tag parked 15 feet right in front of a green, then walk to his cart while his playing companions are already gone, then screw around in his bag for 2-3 minutes, then mark his score. Everyone who does that should go back to good golf school
Old 07-21-2020, 05:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,301 Times in 864 Posts

Quote:
That's exactly how the current system works. Does anyone believe the Drs. give a damn which system they are signing papers for that they are charging between $25 and $40 to sign.. Nothing will change.
So who are the doctors.....would be great to call them out, unless of course it's your doctor. Another example of making accusations, no data, and if that would happen why wouldn't you name names?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 09-15-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecaturFargo View Post
I can't shed the new rules, but I believe they are starting August 1. I have happy to see the changes. I have seen many abuses. Driving way too close to greens; driving between sandtraps and greens, allowing the nonhandicapped person in the cart use the handicapped privileges by driving to their golf spot instead of walking to it. And, have seen RA's ignore directions by the Ambassador. Clearly, the powers at be have seen many, many abuses. At some point, people need to quit playing if they can't conform to the rules.
The changes you are referring to are for those holding RA privileges, they must park 30 ft. from the edge of the green instead of the prior 15 ft. The changes that eliminate the RA privileges in their entirety start on 1/1/21. On and after that date, the only way to regain those privileges is to have or be able to obtain a handicapped placard from the State of Florida; and one of the requirements in order to do so is to have a doctor fill out the State's form. One of those requirements is that the person is unable to walk 200 ft. without stopping to rest. Most doctors will no perjure themselves by filling out a form for someone that does not legally qualify for the handicap placard.

My wife's cardiologist just refused to file a form for her because on flat ground, she is able to walk 200 ft. without having to rest. The fact of the matter is that she has a real hard time navigating the hills on the courses due to a heart condition plus a hip replacement that was not perfect. She is physically unable to play even an Executive course from the cart paths and has refused to do so when rain has caused a cart path only restriction.

Originally, the RA privilege was provided to those people who would find it to be a real strain to play golf and enjoy the game without the RA privilege. One did not have to be physically handicapped, per the State's definition. In my opinion, removing the RA privileges will cause the pace of play to slow considerably as those who previously held an RA privilege will still play, but will just have to play slower. Also in my opinion, if the issues with driving too close to the greens or between the green and a bunker were enforced by the Ambassadors that found a violation, they should issue some type of citation using the golf ID number of the offender. After a predetermined number of citations were issued to a player, he would lose his golf privileges for a period of time; and if he was a repeat offender, monetary fines might also be able to be assessed. To me, that makes more sense than penalizing all who now have an RA privilege, but cannot qualify for a State handicap placard.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:40 PM

As of August 1, 2020, it now has to be parked 30 ft. clear of the green.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:46 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Have heard from several reliable sources that big changes are coming for the Reasonable Accommodation process on Championship Golf Courses. I suppose this could be a rumor but the sources I have heard this from are internal golf personnel who have been given this information at employee meetings. Here's the scoop:

Effective 1/1/21 current RA system is fazed out. In order to get similar privileges it will be necessary to get a Florida Handicap Placard with all that entails. No longer is it permissible to get walking relief on the golf course unless you are officially handicapped in accordance with State DMV rules. Despite the fact that I am physically unable to walk from Cart paths to Greens for 18 holes in the blistering sun I am still capable of walking from a non handicap space at a Publix parking lot to go to the front entrance. Therefore, I must be handicapped as defined by Florida DMV rules in order to drive within 15 feet of a putting surface (30 under the proposed rules). Basically this means I will have to either get my Dr. to falsify the degree of my walking disability to meet DMV Standards or quit playing golf in the friendly confines of TV. Additionally, I understand that restriction for proximity to greens and tees under the new system will be less advantages than at present.

Interested if anyone can shed further light on this subject.
If you need Dr to falsify Handicap DMV then you are not Handicapped !
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, dmv, walking, rules, handicap

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.