Championship golf - Reasonable Accommodation changes on 1/1/21

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-15-2020, 01:49 PM
swooner swooner is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 154
Thanks: 5
Thanked 82 Times in 29 Posts
Cool Championship golf - Reasonable Accommodation changes on 1/1/21

Have heard from several reliable sources that big changes are coming for the Reasonable Accommodation process on Championship Golf Courses. I suppose this could be a rumor but the sources I have heard this from are internal golf personnel who have been given this information at employee meetings. Here's the scoop:

Effective 1/1/21 current RA system is fazed out. In order to get similar privileges it will be necessary to get a Florida Handicap Placard with all that entails. No longer is it permissible to get walking relief on the golf course unless you are officially handicapped in accordance with State DMV rules. Despite the fact that I am physically unable to walk from Cart paths to Greens for 18 holes in the blistering sun I am still capable of walking from a non handicap space at a Publix parking lot to go to the front entrance. Therefore, I must be handicapped as defined by Florida DMV rules in order to drive within 15 feet of a putting surface (30 under the proposed rules). Basically this means I will have to either get my Dr. to falsify the degree of my walking disability to meet DMV Standards or quit playing golf in the friendly confines of TV. Additionally, I understand that restriction for proximity to greens and tees under the new system will be less advantages than at present.

Interested if anyone can shed further light on this subject.
  #2  
Old 07-15-2020, 01:57 PM
N44125's Avatar
N44125 N44125 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 541
Thanks: 0
Thanked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Here’s the link to the revised program...

https://www.golfthevillages.com/whatsnew/Cap2021.pdf
  #3  
Old 07-15-2020, 02:11 PM
Jayhawk's Avatar
Jayhawk Jayhawk is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 819
Thanks: 0
Thanked 604 Times in 158 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swooner View Post
Have heard from several reliable sources that big changes are coming for the Reasonable Accommodation process on Championship Golf Courses. I suppose this could be a rumor but the sources I have heard this from are internal golf personnel who have been given this information at employee meetings. Here's the scoop:

Effective 1/1/21 current RA system is fazed out. In order to get similar privileges it will be necessary to get a Florida Handicap Placard with all that entails. Basically this means I will have to either get my Dr. to falsify the degree of my walking disability to meet DMV Standards or quit playing golf in the friendly confines of TV. Additionally, I understand that restriction for proximity to greens and tees under the new system will be less advantages than at present.

Interested if anyone can shed further light on this subject.
Walking distance is the First qualifier. Can you walk 200 feet? If not, your doc won't be lying.

Florida Handicap Parking

Are you eligible for Disabled Person Parking Permits and Plates in Florida?
A physician or certified practitioner has to verify your impaired mobility and eligibility requirements. Specifics that differ from the general eligibility guidelines include:

Required: You can’t walk 200 feet without rest


Find Out if You're Eligible for Florida Handicap Parking.
  #4  
Old 07-15-2020, 02:35 PM
JoMar JoMar is offline
Sage
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 3,853
Thanks: 10
Thanked 1,137 Times in 430 Posts
Default

I thought that was always the requirement? How else were they getting RA's?
__________________
No one believes the truth when the lie is more interesting

Berks County Pennsylvania
  #5  
Old 07-15-2020, 02:37 PM
N44125's Avatar
N44125 N44125 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 541
Thanks: 0
Thanked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Doesn’t just apply to Championship Courses, also includes Executive Courses.
  #6  
Old 07-15-2020, 05:31 PM
swooner swooner is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 154
Thanks: 5
Thanked 82 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Walking distance is the First qualifier. Can you walk 200 feet? If not, your doc won't be lying.

Florida Handicap Parking

Are you eligible for Disabled Person Parking Permits and Plates in Florida?
A physician or certified practitioner has to verify your impaired mobility and eligibility requirements. Specifics that differ from the general eligibility guidelines include:

Required: You can’t walk 200 feet without rest


Find Out if You're Eligible for Florida Handicap Parking.
200 ft without rest. Is that at heat index 90, 95, 100, 110 etc?
  #7  
Old 07-15-2020, 05:52 PM
drcar drcar is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 236
Thanks: 8
Thanked 57 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N44125 View Post
Doesn’t just apply to Championship Courses, also includes Executive Courses.
This did not start with the Championship courses, the was a mandate from the districts for the executive courses , which the championship courses followed.
  #8  
Old 07-15-2020, 06:05 PM
swooner swooner is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 154
Thanks: 5
Thanked 82 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcar View Post
This did not start with the Championship courses, the was a mandate from the districts for the executive courses , which the championship courses followed.
So what. Still sucks!
  #9  
Old 07-15-2020, 06:42 PM
JoMar JoMar is offline
Sage
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 3,853
Thanks: 10
Thanked 1,137 Times in 430 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swooner View Post
So what. Still sucks!
I don't understand.....why does it suck?
__________________
No one believes the truth when the lie is more interesting

Berks County Pennsylvania
  #10  
Old 07-15-2020, 08:47 PM
kcrazorbackfan's Avatar
kcrazorbackfan kcrazorbackfan is offline
Sage
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: The Villages, FL
Posts: 2,803
Thanks: 123
Thanked 605 Times in 175 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swooner View Post
So what. Still sucks!
Still waiting to hear what sucks?

I’m really fed up with a lot of the people with the RA tags destroying all the areas around the tee boxes and greens because they abuse the RA tag privilege.

I see all the time people pulling up next to, and upon, greens and tee boxes, driving between greens and bunkers, pulling up and parking on the approach areas to the greens - enough is enough. I hope the RA rules change and I hope it’s enforced.
__________________
For each of us, life is a journey. Where has your life taken you? Your entire life leads to the next step, the chance to define yourself by where you're headed, instead of where you stand. Today is the day you introduce yourself to your destiny.
  #11  
Old 07-15-2020, 08:54 PM
JC419 JC419 is offline
Member
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 71
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Default

I think the courses were taking a beating from the number of residents who had a reasonable accommodation. Unfortunately, few of the carts were parked 30 feet from the green - most were right on the fringe.
  #12  
Old 07-16-2020, 04:51 AM
Dahabs Dahabs is offline
Member
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 51
Thanks: 321
Thanked 119 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Still waiting to hear what sucks?

I’m really fed up with a lot of the people with the RA tags destroying all the areas around the tee boxes and greens because they abuse the RA tag privilege.

I see all the time people pulling up next to, and upon, greens and tee boxes, driving between greens and bunkers, pulling up and parking on the approach areas to the greens - enough is enough. I hope the RA rules change and I hope it’s enforced.
Agree. From observation, the program was abused. At least half the golfers I have seen making use of RA could easily make their way to/from tee boxes and greens and cart path.
  #13  
Old 07-16-2020, 04:53 AM
Jack2659 Jack2659 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

There is a notice on ever starter shack Championship and Executive of this change. The notice clearly tell you for full information go to Golf the Villages
  #14  
Old 07-16-2020, 05:28 AM
Rwirish Rwirish is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 148
Thanks: 0
Thanked 196 Times in 71 Posts
Default

Good change, RA’s have been given out like candy. Unfortunately the abuse has lead to damage around the greens.
  #15  
Old 07-16-2020, 05:37 AM
Goodi70 Goodi70 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Unfortunately, those who need to heed this are the ones least likely to do so. Enforcement is still an issue as one ambassador can only be in one place at a time.
Reply

Tags
golf, dmv, walking, rules, handicap

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 AM.