Championship golf - Reasonable Accommodation changes on 1/1/21

Closed Thread
Old 07-16-2020, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swooner View Post
Have heard from several reliable sources that big changes are coming for the Reasonable Accommodation process on Championship Golf Courses. I suppose this could be a rumor but the sources I have heard this from are internal golf personnel who have been given this information at employee meetings. Here's the scoop:

Effective 1/1/21 current RA system is fazed out. In order to get similar privileges it will be necessary to get a Florida Handicap Placard with all that entails. No longer is it permissible to get walking relief on the golf course unless you are officially handicapped in accordance with State DMV rules. Despite the fact that I am physically unable to walk from Cart paths to Greens for 18 holes in the blistering sun I am still capable of walking from a non handicap space at a Publix parking lot to go to the front entrance. Therefore, I must be handicapped as defined by Florida DMV rules in order to drive within 15 feet of a putting surface (30 under the proposed rules). Basically this means I will have to either get my Dr. to falsify the degree of my walking disability to meet DMV Standards or quit playing golf in the friendly confines of TV. Additionally, I understand that restriction for proximity to greens and tees under the new system will be less advantages than at present.

Interested if anyone can shed further light on this subject.
In order to have an RA you must bring a form to your Dr., who will fill it out and he/she must submit to The Villages. Not all handicaps are visible. People with heart conditions look fine but can only walk short distances. Additionally the RA sleeves are not for life, they do have an expiration date and to get a renewal you have to see the doctor. In my experience anyone that is out of site from an ambassador feel entitled to drive all over the course, This is with and without RA. A good percentage of them, when spoken to by golf staff say " I pay my amenity fees which pay your salary I can do what I want" Then there are those that play by the rules. In the case of wet courses it will be declared "Cart Path Only" and this mans ALL carts. RA accommodation does not matter. But once again out of site from the starter shack.....
Old 07-16-2020, 04:52 PM

Is there a difference between a “course access pass” and a RA?
Old 07-17-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahabs View Post
Agree. From observation, the program was abused. At least half the golfers I have seen making use of RA could easily make their way to/from tee boxes and greens and cart path.
With all due respect, I need to respond to this issue. I have a permanent RA because I have a permanent condition. Due to an accident many years ago, I have screws and plates in my ankle. I have metal in my leg and partial paralysis in that leg and no feeling in the bottom of my foot. Generally I have no problem walking on level land, however hills and inclines present a great amount of pain and swelling. When I'm having a good day I walk. When I'm not I use my RA. I try to be responsible. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Old 07-17-2020, 11:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swooner View Post
Have heard from several reliable sources that big changes are coming for the Reasonable Accommodation process on Championship Golf Courses. I suppose this could be a rumor but the sources I have heard this from are internal golf personnel who have been given this information at employee meetings. Here's the scoop:

Effective 1/1/21 current RA system is fazed out. In order to get similar privileges it will be necessary to get a Florida Handicap Placard with all that entails. No longer is it permissible to get walking relief on the golf course unless you are officially handicapped in accordance with State DMV rules. Despite the fact that I am physically unable to walk from Cart paths to Greens for 18 holes in the blistering sun I am still capable of walking from a non handicap space at a Publix parking lot to go to the front entrance. Therefore, I must be handicapped as defined by Florida DMV rules in order to drive within 15 feet of a putting surface (30 under the proposed rules). Basically this means I will have to either get my Dr. to falsify the degree of my walking disability to meet DMV Standards or quit playing golf in the friendly confines of TV. Additionally, I understand that restriction for proximity to greens and tees under the new system will be less advantages than at present.

Interested if anyone can shed further light on this subject.
I do not understand what changed? When I moved here over eight years ago , I had to produce to Golf Administration my same documents that I submitted to the State licensing for a handicap plate and / or tag. I was given a special card to carry along with my RA tag should an ambassador ask for proof that I was approved.

To me having my Blue hang card should be used on my cart. So No Change from here and NO sucking!!!!!!
Old 07-17-2020, 03:25 PM

The current requirement for parking a golf cart is 15 ft. from the edge of the green.
Old 07-17-2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetro View Post
With all due respect, I need to respond to this issue. I have a permanent RA because I have a permanent condition. Due to an accident many years ago, I have screws and plates in my ankle. I have metal in my leg and partial paralysis in that leg and no feeling in the bottom of my foot. Generally I have no problem walking on level land, however hills and inclines present a great amount of pain and swelling. When I'm having a good day I walk. When I'm not I use my RA. I try to be responsible. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Yes indeed!
Old 07-17-2020, 07:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbadu View Post
I do not understand what changed? When I moved here over eight years ago , I had to produce to Golf Administration my same documents that I submitted to the State licensing for a handicap plate and / or tag. I was given a special card to carry along with my RA tag should an ambassador ask for proof that I was approved.

To me having my Blue hang card should be used on my cart. So No Change from here and NO sucking!!!!!!
The problem is people steal the blue placards from golf carts.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 07-18-2020, 10:30 AM
Default Golf passes

I am a starter on an executive course and I see people walking perfectly to the starter shack. I realize there are some people who need a RA but believe me there are over 50% that don't The executive courses are the resident courses and more RA people are not observing the rules and this will affect our courses. If you need one fine, but if you don't then do not use one. I see people riding in carts of people who have a RA and the second golfer also is in the cart while using the RA. The RA is for the individual person who got the RA from their doctor.
Old 07-18-2020, 09:41 PM
Veteran member

About time...the abuse is ridiculous...driving next to and on greens...driving between greens and bunkers. Driving down par 3's when cart path only due to wet conditions.. I've seen unbelievable ruts left by the "entitled" few. Rent a handicap cart if necessary
Old 07-18-2020, 09:45 PM
Veteran member

Even if they steal the sign...they are still supposed to show RA card to starter. Someones not doing their job
Old 07-19-2020, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwachowski View Post
I am a starter on an executive course and I see people walking perfectly to the starter shack. I realize there are some people who need a RA but believe me there are over 50% that don't The executive courses are the resident courses and more RA people are not observing the rules and this will affect our courses. If you need one fine, but if you don't then do not use one. I see people riding in carts of people who have a RA and the second golfer also is in the cart while using the RA. The RA is for the individual person who got the RA from their doctor.
Should the passenger jump out of the cart before it stops 15' from the green?
Old 07-19-2020, 01:30 PM

Too many people are abusing this "privilege" by driving up to the very edge of greens and greenside bunkers. 30' is a reasonable accomodation.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:09 AM

Believe me most of the damage around the greens are due to golf course employees and maintenance people, not by the golfers. I for one have less than half of my lungs left plus 3 heart procedures done and pay some ridiculous fee to play with a golfing group. I tried playing without a tag the first year I played , but trying to keep up with the foursome in my group my heart was racing because my lungs were trying to get oxygen to support my body. Here is the bottom line if the current RA tag holders cant get the new stickers, expect waiting to hit your shots to the green a lot longer and it will definitely slow up play on all the courses, so eventually it will create chaos to all golfers. The RA tag holders know best their health not the dmv. To the many golfers who have complained about this, BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU ASK FOR .
Old 07-21-2020, 10:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosbestus View Post
Believe me most of the damage around the greens are due to golf course employees and maintenance people, not by the golfers. I for one have less than half of my lungs left plus 3 heart procedures done and pay some ridiculous fee to play with a golfing group. I tried playing without a tag the first year I played , but trying to keep up with the foursome in my group my heart was racing because my lungs were trying to get oxygen to support my body. Here is the bottom line if the current RA tag holders cant get the new stickers, expect waiting to hit your shots to the green a lot longer and it will definitely slow up play on all the courses, so eventually it will create chaos to all golfers. The RA tag holders know best their health not the dmv. To the many golfers who have complained about this, BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU ASK FOR .
Actually the DMV has nothing to do with it.....your doctor makes the request, they just process the paperwork. I'm sure, like everything else here, there are abuses and less then ethical doctors but understanding the process would help eliminate blaming an organization (DMV) for abuse.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 07-21-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Actually the DMV has nothing to do with it.....your doctor makes the request, they just process the paperwork. I'm sure, like everything else here, there are abuses and less then ethical doctors but understanding the process would help eliminate blaming an organization (DMV) for abuse.
That's exactly how the current system works. Does anyone believe the Drs. give a damn which system they are signing papers for that they are charging between $25 and $40 to sign.. Nothing will change.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, dmv, walking, rules, handicap

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.