Chipping Lesson Recommendations

Closed Thread
Old 03-24-2017, 10:25 AM
Default Chipping Lesson Recommendations

Looking for recommendations on Villages or non Villages golf pro's who have given quality golf chipping lessons for chipping on these very tight lies on the Villages golf courses. Who have you liked?
Old 03-24-2017, 11:37 AM

Sandra Chester Oxford Golf 301. Excellent!
Old 03-24-2017, 09:46 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjug View Post
Sandra Chester Oxford Golf 301. Excellent!
+1, and a plug for Ryan, the other instructor.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF2484 View Post
Looking for recommendations on Villages or non Villages golf pro's who have given quality golf chipping lessons for chipping on these very tight lies on the Villages golf courses. Who have you liked?
Not to your exact question, but one thing that really improved my game was when I bought a "chipper". It looks like a putter, but it has loft and can be used right handed or left. I just use it with a putting stroke for most chip shots.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:14 AM

I also agree to use a chipper, these are very tight lies.I think they use the greens mower to mow the fairways. I even use my chipper in the bunkers with low lips and mud for sand.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:16 AM

Save your money. Use your putter. Unless you can hit down on the ball first with hands like butter your putter is your best bet, no matter the distance/
Old 03-25-2017, 10:29 AM
Platinum member

Assuming you are actually referring to chipping and not pitching, it's not that difficult. Weight on front foot, ball back in stance, hands lead club head through the stroke, don't break wrists, minimize moving parts by keeping head still. Now practice. After you practice, practice some more. If you are using a distance ball, disregard everything I said except the practice part. This is a skip and check method and doesn't work well with a distance ball.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGolf View Post
Save your money. Use your putter. Unless you can hit down on the ball first with hands like butter your putter is your best bet, no matter the distance/
This is probably the best advice that you could get although I'm not a fan of the term "hit down on the ball".

I tend to get a bit yippy when chipping and pitching so if the lie is at all sketchy, unless I have to go over something, I'll pull out my putter.

The other thing about taking lessons is that unless you are wiling to put in countless hours practicing what you are told in the lessons, you're not going to improve.

Golf cannot be taught. It has to be learned. A lesson will show you how to learn and you need to spend the time learning and applying what you are told in the lesson.

The short game requires more practice than any other part of the game. One of the greatest teachers in history told me that for every hour you spend hitting balls, you should spend three hour chipping, pitching and putting.

If you think that you're going to take a lesson and suddenly be able to hit excellent pitch shots off of hardpan lies, you're going to be very disappointed.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGolf View Post
I agree. I never putted from off the green much until I moved here, especially in the winter where the 'rough' can be as fast as the greens.

It is much more comfortable for me to putt as I do not put in the time any more to be proficient around the greens.

This works until summer when that short but narly rough grows back.

If you do get stuck and have to pitch off a tight lie, read up (or youtube) on using the bounce of the club.

OP, I do not know of anyone or I would suggest someone.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:17 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
This is probably the best advice that you could get although I'm not a fan of the term "hit down on the ball".

I tend to get a bit yippy when chipping and pitching so if the lie is at all sketchy, unless I have to go over something, I'll pull out my putter.

The other thing about taking lessons is that unless you are wiling to put in countless hours practicing what you are told in the lessons, you're not going to improve.

Golf cannot be taught. It has to be learned. A lesson will show you how to learn and you need to spend the time learning and applying what you are told in the lesson.

The short game requires more practice than any other part of the game. One of the greatest teachers in history told me that for every hour you spend hitting balls, you should spend three hour chipping, pitching and putting.

If you think that you're going to take a lesson and suddenly be able to hit excellent pitch shots off of hardpan lies, you're going to be very disappointed.
I try and spend about that 3 to 1 ratio of time to the short game and I should spend more.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
I agree. I never putted from off the green much until I moved here, especially in the winter where the 'rough' can be as fast as the greens.

It is much more comfortable for me to putt as I do not put in the time any more to be proficient around the greens.

This works until summer when that short but narly rough grows back.

If you do get stuck and have to pitch off a tight lie, read up (or youtube) on using the bounce of the club.

OP, I do not know of anyone or I would suggest someone.
I agree with using the bounce. If you have a bare lie and need to go up over an obstacle. Take your highest lofted club and open it a lot. Then aim at a point about and inch behind the ball and swing straight down on that point. Swing very hard. If you've opened the face enough and you hit the ground behind the ball, the ball won't go very far.

Most people I see trying this or hitting bunker shots don't open the face anywhere near enough. Don't be afraid to open the face A LOT!!!

Also turn your body so that the score marks on you club are perpendicular to your target line.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:41 PM

Sandra Chester at Golf Your Best school on 301 in Oxford. Best teacher ever. 352-751-5122 or 352-446-2255
Old 04-03-2017, 07:17 PM
Sage

Watch some videos and by a book by Stan Utley, the greatest short game artist in the history of the PGA tour and also IMHO the best short game teacher in the world.

Closed Thread

Tags
villages, golf, chipping, recommendations, lies

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.