Steve
Yes, Ill conceived, ie: BAD IDEA from its inception
Old 12-24-2019, 08:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post

It's been my observation that the word "free," often results in an involuntary, whole-body, physiological response...in a lot of people.

At a garage sale once, I had a plastic milk crate that was filled with barely used containers of brake fluid/synthetic oil/tranny fluid/Etc. (well over $100 worth)...to save a trip to the hazmat recycling station.

I put a $5 tag on it...and it set all day.

The minute I wrote "free"...a guy quickly grabs it.

His question was..."does the plastic crate come with it?"

That same mentality seems to apply to the free golf on Christmas.

I too, have seen courses the day after Christmas whereby the standard courtesies of taking care of the course...were worse than usual.

Old 12-24-2019, 08:24 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
The "family" tries to do something nice and still there will be some people that complain, or will keep their "better" ideas to themselves.

You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time

Steve

Last edited by anothersteve; 12-24-2019 at 08:35 AM.
Old 12-24-2019, 08:28 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Great day to play the executive courses. Always free.
Old 12-24-2019, 10:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Remember this post by eyc234 a few weeks back when we were talking about course conditions ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyc234 View Post
Have said in the past and will say again, play the ball where it lies and stop complaining about the course. Oh its wet, oh its dry, oh the sand is hard, oh the sand is soft, the grass is too deep, oh the grass is too short, oh the greens are too fast, oh the greens are to slow. Have you ever thought it is the player and not the course. Go out and practice or accept the fact as Michael Phelps was told by Hank Haney " face it, you are not that good". Played Mallory today and it was absolutely horrible!!!! There was earth on the course that was uneven, the sun was too beautiful, the ball was round and it rolled too much, the hole on the green was round and not big enough and it had a flag in it. I hit into a sand trap and the sand was way too white. I got so far away from the clubhouse bar that I had to keep hitting that stupid round ball just to get back to the bar and pay those ridiculously cheap prices for beer. Oh yeah and towards the end of this miserable day the beautiful missus and I had 4 guys two holes behind us that was really irritating. Then to top it all off I had to drive 8 minutes in my golf cart back to my house. If this kind of life keeps up I think I will just have to move up north to a place that has 6 feet of snow where all I have to do is dream about what golf is about in January.
1 - that was about course conditions during regular season not the day after free golf
2 - I was chastised for saying I think the fairways are too short during winter for the average senior. I was "politely" told to buck up and play the ball under whatever the course conditions like real golfers do.

Well it's time to be a real golfer on boxing day Ah ?
Old 12-24-2019, 10:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

..."it's the Indian and not the arrow".
Old 12-24-2019, 10:53 AM
Veteran member

Looking at The Daily Sun over the past days, there has been no mention about the "free golf" as they used to promote in past years. Usually they make a big deal about this in the sports section. Today, all they print is that the Championship Courses are closed on December 25. Has something changed? Can anybody confirm that they will be free tomorrow as they have been in the past? Or will there be grinch ambassadors chasing people off the courses?
Old 12-24-2019, 12:20 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
Looking at The Daily Sun over the past days, there has been no mention about the "free golf" as they used to promote in past years. Usually they make a big deal about this in the sports section. Today, all they print is that the Championship Courses are closed on December 25. Has something changed? Can anybody confirm that they will be free tomorrow as they have been in the past? Or will there be grinch ambassadors chasing people off the courses?
Free golf with "grinch" ambassadors.

https://www.golfthevillages.com/what...olf%202016.pdf

"Free golf on Christmas Day is available again this year on championship courses in The Villages.

A Villages resident identification card is required for each group of players, which also must include at least one Villages resident.

Golf carts and club rentals are not available and other facilities including the Golf Academy, country club pools and practice ranges will be closed.

To take advantage of the free rounds, players should check in at the country clubs as follows:

• Bell Glade: Check in at the Tequesta starter building for all courses.
• Bonifay: Check in at the Deslin starter building for all courses.
• Cane Garden: Check in at the Allamanda starter building for nine holes and at the Hibiscus starter building for 18 holes.
• Evans Prairie: Check in at the Killdeer starter building for all courses.
• Glenview: Check in at the Fox Run starter building for all courses.
• Hacienda Hills: Check in at the Palms starter building for nine holes and the Lakes/Oaks starter building for 18 holes.
• Havana: Check in at the Hemingway starter building for nine holes and at the Kilimanjaro starter building for 18 holes.
• Lopez Legacy: Check in at the Ashley Meadows starter building for all courses.
• Mallory Hill: Check in at the Amelia starter building for nine holes and at the Caroline starter building for 18 holes.
• Orange Blossom Hills/Tierra del Sol: Check in at the starter building.
• Palmer Legends: Check in at the Riley Grove starter building for nine holes and at the Laurel Valley/Cherry Hill starter building for 18 holes."

Steve
Old 12-24-2019, 12:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
Free golf with "grinch" ambassadors.

https://www.golfthevillages.com/what...olf%202016.pdf

"Free golf on Christmas Day is available again this year on championship courses in The Villages.

A Villages resident identification card is required for each group of players, which also must include at least one Villages resident.

Golf carts and club rentals are not available and other facilities including the Golf Academy, country club pools and practice ranges will be closed.

To take advantage of the free rounds, players should check in at the country clubs as follows:

• Bell Glade: Check in at the Tequesta starter building for all courses.
• Bonifay: Check in at the Deslin starter building for all courses.
• Cane Garden: Check in at the Allamanda starter building for nine holes and at the Hibiscus starter building for 18 holes.
• Evans Prairie: Check in at the Killdeer starter building for all courses.
• Glenview: Check in at the Fox Run starter building for all courses.
• Hacienda Hills: Check in at the Palms starter building for nine holes and the Lakes/Oaks starter building for 18 holes.
• Havana: Check in at the Hemingway starter building for nine holes and at the Kilimanjaro starter building for 18 holes.
• Lopez Legacy: Check in at the Ashley Meadows starter building for all courses.
• Mallory Hill: Check in at the Amelia starter building for nine holes and at the Caroline starter building for 18 holes.
• Orange Blossom Hills/Tierra del Sol: Check in at the starter building.
• Palmer Legends: Check in at the Riley Grove starter building for nine holes and at the Laurel Valley/Cherry Hill starter building for 18 holes."

Steve
That's a PDF from 2016
Old 12-24-2019, 12:37 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
That's a PDF from 2016
OK so? What about the rest from the unmentionable news??
And this?
Residents Play FREE Golf on Christmas Day in The Villages

My god people, there is free golf tomorrow!
Steve

Last edited by anothersteve; 12-24-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-24-2019, 12:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Bunch of assumptions without any research...…...
Old 12-24-2019, 12:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
OK so? What about the rest from the unmentionable news??
And this?
Residents Play FREE Golf on Christmas Day in The Villages

My god people, there is free golf tomorrow!
Steve

Quote:
Not to worry I called and indeed there is free golf tomorrow. I can not verify if it is under 2016 rules and regs. The other news is a blog not an official TV announcement.
Old 12-24-2019, 12:54 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Not to worry I called and indeed there is free golf tomorrow. I can not verify if it is under 2016 rules and regs.
Ahhh..... some people can do their own research.
Steve
Old 12-24-2019, 12:57 PM
Sage

The starter at Tierra Del Sol said first come first served (same as past). Also you can not get in line unless all members of your party are there (this maybe new ?).
Old 12-24-2019, 05:33 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Are the exec courses also open?

Tags
christmas, day, 1st, golf, championship

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.