Club Grips

Old 01-26-2015, 10:47 AM
Veteran member
Default Club Grips

I replaced the grips on my clubs myself yesterday. It's very easy to do if you have a vise. I got 13 Golf Pride grips with the install kit from Amazon for 80 bucks. It even came with a rubber gizmo to hold the club in your vise. Youtube has many video's on it. Use plenty of solvent.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:11 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter123 View Post
I replaced the grips on my clubs myself yesterday. It's very easy to do if you have a vise. I got 13 Golf Pride grips with the install kit from Amazon for 80 bucks. It even came with a rubber gizmo to hold the club in your vise. Youtube has many video's on it. Use plenty of solvent.
I did the same some of mine. Will do the others later. Not difficult to do at all and I enjoyed doing them myself.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:33 PM
Gold member
Default Don't like the solvent they provide...

Quote:
as it has a tough time getting the glue on the two sided tape tacky enough. I use paint thinner instead and very little is needed.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred53 View Post
as it has a tough time getting the glue on the two sided tape tacky enough. I use paint thinner instead and very little is needed.
Or you can blow the grips on with a compressor and eliminate the solvent and the double sided tape. And you can remove and reinstall the grip if you need to.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
Or you can blow the grips on with a compressor and eliminate the solvent and the double sided tape. And you can remove and reinstall the grip if you need to.
Hi Mike,

This is what I like about TOTV! I didn't know about this technique so I youtubed it. All I can say is WOW, who knew! I rigged up an attachment for my compressed air sprayer and was even able to remove the old grip almost effortlessly, I built up the shaft a little with two layers of painters tape and slid the new grip right on without solvent. What a convenience! Now I can pop grips on and off to adjust the build up as I wish! Thanks sooooo much for this tip!

Old 01-27-2015, 09:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Hi Mike,

This is what I like about TOTV! I didn't know about this technique so I youtubed it. All I can say is WOW, who knew! I rigged up an attachment for my compressed air sprayer and was even able to remove the old grip almost effortlessly, I built up the shaft a little with two layers of painters tape and slid the new grip right on without solvent. What a convenience! Now I can pop grips on and off to adjust the build up as I wish! Thanks sooooo much for this tip!
Just watch the pressure. Too much can balloon the grip, ruining it. I use little bursts of air to install or remove. And you can use the club right away.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:15 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
Just watch the pressure. Too much can balloon the grip, ruining it. I use little bursts of air to install or remove. And you can use the club right away.
Taking the old grip off, it did balloon up a little because the grip stayed sealed on the bottom. I slid a very thin metal flat head screwdriver between the grip and the shaft and then it came right off.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:50 PM
Platinum member

I've been using the compressor method for a long time. To keep from ballooning I cut a plastic golf club tube(the kind that goes in your bag to protect clubs) about a foot long and put that over the grip/shaft before using air. I also got the adapter that slides in the end of the grip kinda like a long fat basketball needle. Cost about five bucks at Harbor Freight. This is the best method ever. Takes about 10 minutes to do a set of 13 and they are ready to play with right away. No waiting for solvent to dry.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDivine View Post
I've been using the compressor method for a long time. To keep from ballooning I cut a plastic golf club tube(the kind that goes in your bag to protect clubs) about a foot long and put that over the grip/shaft before using air. I also got the adapter that slides in the end of the grip kinda like a long fat basketball needle. Cost about five bucks at Harbor Freight. This is the best method ever. Takes about 10 minutes to do a set of 13 and they are ready to play with right away. No waiting for solvent to dry.
I may be a little OCD, but I like that I can rotate the grip if I adjust the hosel setting on my woods. That way the grip doesn't look twisted when I do. Also, it allows me to try different grips easily, and save the grip I remove.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:11 PM
Platinum member

....or if you are not handy or don't have the right equipment, Jim's Golf will put on new grips for $2.00 each.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
....or if you are not handy or don't have the right equipment, Jim's Golf will put on new grips for $2.00 each.
Or maybe make new friends on TOTV that can install grips. Just saying.....

I'll do it when I get down there full time.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:50 PM
Smile

Brought my club to Jim's golf….$2.00 to change the grip!! Took less than 5 minutes. I was told to wait 24 hours for glue to set and ready to play!! Cheaper than buying everything yourself.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.