Cobra One Length Irons

Closed Thread
Old 04-25-2017, 08:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,563 Times in 509 Posts
Default Cobra One Length Irons

Anyone else try them yet? They are intriguing. Sarasota has two left-handed demo sets (one steel, one graphite) that I've tried out a couple of times. Didn't like the steel (110 grams, too heavy), the graphite's are 65 grams and really flight the ball well. The 8 thru the gap wedge took a little while to get used to since all the clubs are 7 iron length (gained about 5 yds. per club); 4-6 lost about 5 yds. per club. The dispersion of shots with all the clubs were a lot tighter than my Callaway's; may have to invest in a set.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:54 AM
Gold member

The validity of any golf club evaluation is initially based on the players ability. The lower the handicap the more consistent their swing is so you get a more reliable test of the clubs. The higher the handicap the less likely the club test will provide any useful information because you can not buy a better swing.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,563 Times in 509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred53 View Post
The validity of any golf club evaluation is initially based on the players ability. The lower the handicap the more consistent their swing is so you get a more reliable test of the clubs. The higher the handicap the less likely the club test will provide any useful information because you can not buy a better swing.
That's the same thing I hear from people when I suggest they take lessons to help them out; a person can buy a better swing if they put forth the effort to get lessons, from a PGA/LPGA Teaching Professional and not a spouse or friend, and practice what they're taught.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:26 AM
Veteran member

One-length irons have been around for years - nothing new. Cobra decided to take a chance on them based on some good play by PGA player Bryson DeChambeau several months ago. As of late, DeChambeau has been struggling, and a lot of the "buzz" about single-length irons has died off. I don't know of any other tour player that uses them. Depending on how many sets Cobra produced in their first run, you may see these irons "dumped" at a low price at the end of the year. I did get to try these at the golf festival in March, and I thought they were pretty nice. But I wouldn't buy them unless they were at a clearance price. They may or may not "help" your game.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:22 PM

I think there is a very small percentage of golfers that would benefit from the one-length irons.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
That's the same thing I hear from people when I suggest they take lessons to help them out; a person can buy a better swing if they put forth the effort to get lessons, from a PGA/LPGA Teaching Professional and not a spouse or friend, and practice what they're taught.
That is one of the most important things that people have to understand if they are going to take lessons.

I've always maintained that golf, or any physical activity for that matter, cannot really be taught, it must be learned. What a good instructor does is show you how to learn. the student must put forth the effort to take what the instructor has given him or her and spending time using it to learn.

You cannot teach someone how to play golf by telling them how to do it. They must be able to feel how to do it. More importantly, you cannot teach someone how to play golf by telling them what not to do. Too many people feel that if only someone would explain to them what they are doing wrong they would be able to play good golf.

As kcrazorbackfan says, go and take instruction for a PGA/LPGA instructor and then commit to at least five hours a week working on what they show you.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Closed Thread

Tags
steel, grams, clubs, yds, length

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.