What Makes a Good Golf Lesson

Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2013, 11:05 AM
Default What Makes a Good Golf Lesson

Just had a golf lesson today. Over the past five years, this is the third person I have taken a lesson from and he was by far the best!

The first person was disappointing in that he felt I hit the ball well and did not want to make any changes in my swing! Not true! I rarely took a divot with my irons and usually had a fade with the driver. Let's face it, with golf there is always room for improvement.

The second teacher did identify some of my problems, mainly not getting to the left side soon enough. The problem was he did not give me any drills to practice in order to make changes. If I could change my muscles as fast as I can change my mind, I would improve instantly. Unfortunately, my muscles needs lots of practice to change their old bad habits.

The third teacher I worked with today was able to quickly see the main faults in my swing. He also explained how this effected the flight of the ball and the lack of consistency I was experiencing. The most important thing for me was that he gave me several drills to practice that would help improve my swing. As a former high school math teacher, I give Dave Clark, at the Buffalo Ridge Range behind Walmart, a high grade for effective instruction. The first two weaker instructors helped me appreciate now what constitutes a good lesson.

Last edited by charlie49; 03-18-2013 at 11:22 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-18-2013, 12:07 PM
Smile What makes a good golf lesson

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie49 View Post
Just had a golf lesson today. Over the past five years, this is the third person I have taken a lesson from and he was by far the best!

The first person was disappointing in that he felt I hit the ball well and did not want to make any changes in my swing! Not true! I rarely took a divot with my irons and usually had a fade with the driver. Let's face it, with golf there is always room for improvement.

The second teacher did identify some of my problems, mainly not getting to the left side soon enough. The problem was he did not give me any drills to practice in order to make changes. If I could change my muscles as fast as I can change my mind, I would improve instantly. Unfortunately, my muscles needs lots of practice to change their old bad habits.

The third teacher I worked with today was able to quickly see the main faults in my swing. He also explained how this effected the flight of the ball and the lack of consistency I was experiencing. The most important thing for me was that he gave me several drills to practice that would help improve my swing. As a former high school math teacher, I give Dave Clark, at the Buffalo Ridge Range behind Walmart, a high grade for effective instruction. The first two weaker instructors helped me appreciate now what constitutes a good lesson.
I go to the Buffalo Ridge Driving Range often and frequently see Dave Clark giving lessons. He must be doing something right.

Last edited by ncr2482; 03-18-2013 at 12:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-18-2013, 12:35 PM
Sage

You've certainly hit on what makes a good lesson. Anyone that simply tells you what you are doing wrong without supplying any drills or other things you can take to the range to address the problem is only doing half the job, in my opinion. My pro gives me some drills to work on and writes down for me what to do as well as providing additional information about what we are trying to accomplish so I understand what to do and what to expect. Glad you found someone you can work with to improve.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.