Practice Partner Wanted

Closed Thread
Old 07-26-2017, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts
Default Practice Partner Wanted

I'm looking for someone to get together with once or twice a week and work on our games. I have a very good understanding of the game, but as you should know, you can't always see yourself.

You don't need to be a great player, but you should be decent, at least a single digit handicapper who is serious about working at the game and improving.

I'd like someone who is familiar with and ascribes to the teachings of John Jacobs, Jim Hardy, Hank Haney and Stan Utley.

I play several times a week, mostly on the executives but sometimes take advantage of the after 5:00 rates on the championships.

PM me if you think you fit the bill and are interested.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:57 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

A GoPro will give you more accurate feedback.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
A GoPro will give you more accurate feedback.

Yep.

Get a standard 5' tripod, set it up from the rear and the side...then watch your own swing.

When I first took the game up 30 years ago, for the first couple of months I used my old huge VHS recorder to do just that.

I would then turn to the camera and give a signal as to the flight of that particular shot, so I could correlate by body positions...to what the ball was doing. I went from shooting high 90's to low 80's and have been single digit for the last 15-20 years.

These days, I barely putt a few balls on the practice green (which may/may not be similar to the ones on the course) and chip a few around the tee box before a round... and can't recall the last time I went to a range.

It's been shown that the best way to lower your scores, is to develop a a good short game and you shouldn't need anyone watching you to do that. Even the smallest yard (as long as there is grass) should afford an opportunity to get a feel for chipping from different lies.

If you're still not satisfied, break down and go get a couple of lessons with a certified teacher who will record your swing and offer suggestions.

Probably the WORST thing you could do, is to just find another golfer who isn't a certified teacher...to try and help you fix your issues.

Good luck.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:55 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Yep.

Get a standard 5' tripod, set it up from the rear and the side...then watch your own swing.

When I first took the game up 30 years ago, for the first couple of months I used my old huge VHS recorder to do just that.

I would then turn to the camera and give a signal as to the flight of that particular shot, so I could correlate by body positions...to what the ball was doing. I went from shooting high 90's to low 80's and have been single digit for the last 15-20 years.

These days, I barely putt a few balls on the practice green (which may/may not be similar to the ones on the course) and chip a few around the tee box before a round... and can't recall the last time I went to a range.

It's been shown that the best way to lower your scores, is to develop a a good short game and you shouldn't need anyone watching you to do that. Even the smallest yard (as long as there is grass) should afford an opportunity to get a feel for chipping from different lies.

If you're still not satisfied, break down and go get a couple of lessons with a certified teacher who will record your swing and offer suggestions.

Probably the WORST thing you could do, is to just find another golfer who isn't a certified teacher...to try and help you fix your issues.

Good luck.
Do you realize you are advising a PGA Professional?
Old 07-26-2017, 06:59 PM
Sage
Default It sounds like fun, but...

IMO he is not looking for what is being suggested, from his past posts it is pretty clear he is already a 'player' and is looking for a practice companion.

I have to be careful to put words into his mouth, but I read this in a whole different way than he wants lessons or a camera. He is looking for someone to practice with, someone who understand the golf swing and he could say this what I am trying to do, did I do it and Doc would give the same feedback when the other person was hitting. I used to hang with a couple of guys like that when I used to be a 'player’. It is great to talk about how you flight a ball or how to you use the bounce of your wedge with another person working on the same stuff.

I never got to Doc's level AFAIK. The best I ever got was a 0.4 index. I never made it to a plus handicap. The MGA changed the course rating a few years after I was at my best or I would have been a +.08, oh well.

My point is, if not for work, I would love to hang with a player with Doc’s experience and provide feedback and get it back two fold...

Although, to be honest Doc, even without work, I am not too sure I enjoy putting in the time anymore. I never practice and flounder around at a 4 or 5 index on “resort courses” in The Villages. One day 69, two days later 80.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
Do you realize you are advising a PGA Professional?
Yep.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
IMO he is not looking for what is being suggested, from his past posts it is pretty clear he is already a 'player' and is looking for a practice companion.

I have to be careful to put words into his mouth, but I read this in a whole different way than he wants lessons or a camera. He is looking for someone to practice with, someone who understand the golf swing and he could say this what I am trying to do, did I do it and Doc would give the same feedback when the other person was hitting. I used to hang with a couple of guys like that when I used to be a 'player’. It is great to talk about how you flight a ball or how to you use the bounce of your wedge with another person working on the same stuff.

I never got to Doc's level AFAIK. The best I ever got was a 0.4 index. I never made it to a plus handicap. The MGA changed the course rating a few years after I was at my best or I would have been a +.08, oh well.

My point is, if not for work, I would love to hang with a player with Doc’s experience and provide feedback and get it back two fold...

Although, to be honest Doc, even without work, I am not too sure I enjoy putting in the time anymore. I never practice and flounder around at a 4 or 5 index on “resort courses” in The Villages. One day 69, two days later 80.
You nailed it AJ. Although if you got your index down to 0.4 you are at least at my level. I was never a great player but I made a few checks in state opens and sectional PGA events.

I tried to play on the Space Coast tour years ago but got my clock cleaned.

These days, I'm lucky to shoot even par at the executive courses.

I played Rossevelt and Truman last week from the black tees and made four birdies and six bogies. Hit it terrible and putted great. The day before I played Oakley and Amberwood from the black tees and shot even. I hit it unbelievably well and couldn't buy a putt. Without exaggeration, I could have been seven under but I missed several from inside of six feet and probably ten from inside of fifteen feet.

The next day I made a bunch of 15-20 footers. Unfortunately, most were for par.

But thanks for clarifying what I'm looking for. It seems that there are not too many people here that enjoy actually working on their games. Most people that I meet play once or twice a week and never go to the range. Many are surprised to see me go to the putting green before I play. Some tell me that I'm wasting my time.

I don't know if students of the game are a long lost species or if people's desire to improve just goes away once they get older and retire.

I do know that I see a lot of people get angry at themselves when they hit bad shots. I hear them ask how could they hit a shot like that. I often ask myself how they hit their infrequent good shots.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Yep.

Good luck.
I agree that many times golfers are their own best instructors, but in some cases, it's better to have someone there that tell you if you're doing what you are trying to do.

I've often just videoed students and had them look at the video and just ask, "What would you tell this person?". I find that this works more with the worst players than it does with people that have a reasonable idea of how to swing a club.

Closed Thread

Tags
week, game, hardy, hank, haney

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.