difficulty of champ course rotations

Closed Thread
Old 12-02-2020, 07:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts
Default difficulty of champ course rotations

I have my fiancee's brother in law coming for a month. Not only is he head pro at a country club up north, bet a good player, having qualified several times for the PGA of America national finals. What do people think are the most difficult rotations at our champ courses? My votes are:

Egret to Killdeer
Fort Walton to Pensacola
Calusa to Tequesta
Kilimanjaro to Kenya
Caroline to Virginia
Hibiscus to Jacaranda
Laurel to Riley
Lakes to Oaks

Not familiar enough with Glenview or Lopez to choose.
Any suggestions?
What do people think is the most difficult (from the black tees)

I'd like to give him a challenge
Old 12-02-2020, 08:01 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

Glenview is one of the tightest courses.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Glenview is one of the tightest courses.
You think so? I've found Tierra and Orange Blossom to be relatively tight
Old 12-02-2020, 08:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I like Tierra del Sol. But just because he's an excellent player it doesn't mean that he won't enjoy all of the courses. When I was a good player, I was more interested in condition and design than difficulty.

The easiest courses can be the most difficult in a competition because you have to make birdies and go low.

People look at the tour and think that the par fives are the easiest holes. They are, but only in relation to par. If you have a 580 yard hole and much of the field is making four, making a par is not going to help you win the tournament. The most difficult holes are the ones that have the highest average score, not in relation to par.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I like Tierra del Sol. But just because he's an excellent player it doesn't mean that he won't enjoy all of the courses. When I was a good player, I was more interested in condition and design than difficulty.

The easiest courses can be the most difficult in a competition because you have to make birdies and go low.

People look at the tour and think that the par fives are the easiest holes. They are, but only in relation to par. If you have a 580 yard hole and much of the field is making four, making a par is not going to help you win the tournament. The most difficult holes are the ones that have the highest average score, not in relation to par.
I don't think that came out the way you meant it. Obviously, a par 5 with a scoring average of 4.3 is easier than a par 3 with an average of 3.8
Old 12-02-2020, 09:00 AM
Veteran member

I'm an 8 handicap, and for me Tierra Del Sol is the most "challenging" course here in The Villages. The combination of tree lined fairways, fast greens, good undulations, and trouble spots when you hit long or miss a shot to the side make this course great. It punishes you if you make a bad shot.

Glenview is my 2nd favorite for a challenge... although there is less trouble there, so I can typically recover from a bad shot fairly easily. The other champion courses are wide open for the most part - it takes the combination of a bad shot and bad luck to give you a lie you can't recover from.

If you're looking for real challenge for him, try Otter Creek at The Plantation in Leesburg - now that is a tight course! Haven't played there in about 6 months, so no idea as to what shape it is in.

My son played college golf, and was on the mini tours for several years... his favorite course in the area is The Country Club of Ocala. It's a legit challenge, and is gorgeous as well. They have a member for a day program where you can get a tee time and play. This course is amazing - when my son visits, we always try to get a round in there.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:06 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
You think so? I've found Tierra and Orange Blossom to be relatively tight
yes

i stated "one of".............just an opinion, which i thought you were asking for

tierra is tighter, no black tees

oh well
Old 12-02-2020, 09:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:

Egret to Killdeer
Fort Walton to Pensacola
Calusa to Tequesta
Kilimanjaro to Kenya
Caroline to Virginia
Hibiscus to Jacaranda
Laurel to Riley
Lakes to Oaks

Not familiar enough with Glenview or Lopez to choose.
Any suggestions?
What do people think is the most difficult (from the black tees)

I'd like to give him a challenge
Your list are my favorite setups. The only change I would make is at Mallory (Amelia to Carolina), Virginia is one of the shortest but does require precision on those short holes. I hate Killdeer, which is good for you, Osprey is really nice, for beauty I would go with (Osprey to Egret), much nicer setup and #2 on Osprey is one of the toughest holes in TV. I score worse at Glenview, I like Tally Ho a lot, but when I play Fox Run to Stirrup Cup I shoot my worse scores and they have redone the sod at both of those in the last year or two.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,036 Times in 2,731 Posts

Tierra Del Sol, Tally Ho to Fox Run At Glenview, and Caroline along with either of the other two 9 holes at Mallory. Also, Ashley to Tory at Lopez. Very nice new greens (the same kind of turf that is at Tierra), not difficult from the whites, but very challenging from the tips. Both Tierra and Lopez have the best greens in the bubble and would be appreciated by a very good golfer.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
I don't think that came out the way you meant it. Obviously, a par 5 with a scoring average of 4.3 is easier than a par 3 with an average of 3.8
No it's not. If the scoring average on the par five is 4.3 then a player has to make a four to keep up with the field. On the other hand that same player can make a four on the par three that averages 3.8 and not lose any ground. It's not which hole is easier to make a birdie on, it which hole is it easier to make a four on.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:34 AM
Gold member

If you decide to include Glenview, be sure to include Stirrup Cup, which is more difficult than the other two. And I agree with the other posters concerning the Virginia nine on Mallory. Amelia is much more difficult, and in my opinion, a more interesting layout. But overall you have a nice list of courses that will present a challenge.
Old 12-02-2020, 01:54 PM
Gold member

I realize you asked about golf courses in The Villages but I thought I would mention some top notch golf courses located within an hour drive of The Villages. These are not bargain golf courses just top tier courses at a price you would expect for top notch courses.

Home - Orange County National Golf Center & Lodge

Home - Celebration Golf Club

RedTail Golf - Luxury Golf Community in Central Florida

Play at the Best Golf Course in Florida | Mission Inn Resort & Club

Lake Jovita – Golf & Country Club

https://www.juliettefalls.com/

All are worth the drive.
Old 12-02-2020, 02:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy-Guy View Post
I realize you asked about golf courses in The Villages but I thought I would mention some top notch golf courses located within an hour drive of The Villages. These are not bargain golf courses just top tier courses at a price you would expect for top notch courses.

Home - Orange County National Golf Center & Lodge

Home - Celebration Golf Club

RedTail Golf - Luxury Golf Community in Central Florida

Play at the Best Golf Course in Florida | Mission Inn Resort & Club

Lake Jovita – Golf & Country Club

https://www.juliettefalls.com/

All are worth the drive.
Thank you. I've played all of them.

Juliette, El Campion, both courses at Lake Jovita, Red Tail, and Orange County National are all regular stops on the Golf Channel (now U. S. Am) tour. My favorite is still Juliette Falls, not only the course but the picturesque setting. It's hard to beat the history of Mission Inn. Tom Lehman's design at Lake Jovita is pretty challenging. I would add CC of Ocala to that list, and if you want to drive to the middle of nowhere for a unique challenge, I suggest the black course at Streamsong
Old 12-02-2020, 05:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,900 Times in 914 Posts
Default just curious

Has anyone played the golf channel's amateur tour?

Always curious about the quality in case i think more of my game than reality

sportsguy
Old 12-02-2020, 06:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Has anyone played the golf channel's amateur tour?

Always curious about the quality in case i think more of my game than reality

sportsguy
Been playing it for 3 years, NBC/Golf Channel dropped its sponsorship, possibly due to liability issues with COVID, it is now called the U.S. Am tour. We play some nice courses, the one day tournaments are generally on Saturday and in our local area. The Orlando tour alternates weeks with the Tampa tour, some of those courses are further away. Then there are "majors" which are 2 day tournaments, usually with a one day Friday outing, then Sat/Sun. Courses for these have included Innisbrook/Copperhead, TPC Sawgrass, PGA National, and Pinehurst. There are tournaments all over the country every weekend.
There are 6 flights, 0-4,4-8,8-12,12-16, 16-20 and over 20 handicap, so the quality of play varies quite a bit flight to flight. There are at least 3 other Villagers who participate. It's a lot of fun, give it a try.
Closed Thread

Tags
people, rotations, difficult, champ, virginia

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.