9 hole play

Closed Thread
Old 01-13-2016, 08:44 AM
Default 9 hole play

I am totally confused as to exactly when I can play 9 holes. I do understand that both Evans Prairie and Lopez have one 9 hole which is not in the 18 hour rotation, all day.

The golf rate guide says that for winter/spring, 9 hole is after 1.30pm. But, I have had pro shops tell me that I cannot play 9 until after 2pm and when I spoke to Bonifay staff was told I could only start a 9 hole round between 1.30 and 2pm.

Also, I am told various responses concerning unlimited play should I decide that I want s few extra holes. The guide clearly says ulimitted play after 9 holes after 1.30pm 'subject to availability'. At some courses I am told that yes I can play on at the turn if there is space. At a couple of courses, I am told in uncertainty that there is no unlimited play.

Don't get me wrong I am not trying to get out if playing and paying for a full 18 holes, as a full 18 mostly is what I do. But occasionally and usually due to weather I do not get to start until the afternoon and cannot see paying for 18 holes when time only allows me 12 or so holes. And the guide does say I can play on with a tee time after 1.30pm subject to availability.

I was recently told that I could not play 9 holes after 2pm on Evans Prairie except on the Egret and I would have to pay the 18 hole rate for Killdeer/Osprey after 2pm. Perhaps, The Villages Golf need to re-camp the guide to reflect the individual rules, other than what is in the rates guide that each course is using .
Old 01-13-2016, 08:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I am sure you know about the nine hole courses. You have a lot of posts.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I am sure you know about the nine hole courses. You have a lot of posts.
The only nine hole courses that I'am aware of are the executives. The OP is talking about playing the championship courses but only nine holes.

Right now the winter green fees are about $50 or more, a little expensive for many of us, especially if you like to play twice a week. Were already using our own carts and most of the off campus courses are in the $30 range and provide the carts.

I myself usually play just nine holes during the January to April season because of the higher prices. Just last week my neighborhood group said they can only book us at a couple of nines and all the teetimes had been taken, so I didn't get to play, but some of them did who played 18 holes. I'm interested in this new nine hole policy myself, and I haven't been able to read anything online at golfthevillages.net about these changes. Can someone enlighten us.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,034 Times in 364 Posts

Paying an 18 hole green fee allows you 18 holes of play, and possibly more when the course can accommodate it. Even though you'd like some standard policy and maybe there is one, you can only go by what the staff at any particular course tells you. Paying for 9 holes should only get you 9 holes regardless of where or when a golfer tees off.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:09 AM

My understanding is that at two championship courses Lopez and Evan Prairie you can play 9 holes anytime in Jan. and Feb. My information is from my sister who works at Lopez. Give them a call to confirm. Hit them straight and hope this helps.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member

John W, check the golf rates information online for winter golf and summer golf. From that you could possibly figure out when you can play 9 holes. I'm not sure about that. Again though, I think the 9 hole rate would be for slower times, like summer time or afternoons. It's possible that a country club staffer could explain the 9 hole policy to you, but maybe the best source would be call or visit the golf office in Spanish Springs. Good luck!
Old 01-13-2016, 09:28 AM
Sage

http://golfthevillages.com/images/winterRates2013.pdf

I don't know if this helps.

9-HOLE PLAY. Due to demand for 18-hole tee times, the 9-hole rate is not available until 1:30 p.m. in the winter season.

Additionally, most mornings there are several 9-hole tee times available between 7:00 a.m. and 7:20 a.m. – daylight permitting. Tee times from 7:00 a.m. thru 7:20 a.m. (Early Birds) can only be scheduled by calling the golf shop (up to 3 days in advance)
and are not available through the tee time system.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:37 AM
Gold member

You can play 9 holes on championships after 1:30. To my knowledge(used to work for EP)there are never any single 9 holes on a championship dedicated to just 9 hole play as those playing 18 get routed(usually)by alphabetical order(i.e.: if you played Heron you go to Killdeer for the back 9...if you played Killdeer you go to Egret for the back 9...if you played Egret you go to Heron for your back 9).

When you check in with the starter you get a tag which labels you a 9 hole fee and can not play more than nine without paying for the additional 9. In the summer they have an after 5pm fee which allows play as many holes as you can. There might also be a play all you can in winter, but it would likely be an after 2 or 2:30 tee time.

Call the club you wish to play and query the staff. They have the answers and they may vary from club to club...day to day...depending on course play amount and other variables.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray607 View Post
I am totally confused as to exactly when I can play 9 holes. I do understand that both Evans Prairie and Lopez have one 9 hole which is not in the 18 hour rotation, all day.

The golf rate guide says that for winter/spring, 9 hole is after 1.30pm. But, I have had pro shops tell me that I cannot play 9 until after 2pm and when I spoke to Bonifay staff was told I could only start a 9 hole round between 1.30 and 2pm.

Also, I am told various responses concerning unlimited play should I decide that I want s few extra holes. The guide clearly says ulimitted play after 9 holes after 1.30pm 'subject to availability'. At some courses I am told that yes I can play on at the turn if there is space. At a couple of courses, I am told in uncertainty that there is no unlimited play.

Don't get me wrong I am not trying to get out if playing and paying for a full 18 holes, as a full 18 mostly is what I do. But occasionally and usually due to weather I do not get to start until the afternoon and cannot see paying for 18 holes when time only allows me 12 or so holes. And the guide does say I can play on with a tee time after 1.30pm subject to availability.

I was recently told that I could not play 9 holes after 2pm on Evans Prairie except on the Egret and I would have to pay the 18 hole rate for Killdeer/Osprey after 2pm. Perhaps, The Villages Golf need to re-camp the guide to reflect the individual rules, other than what is in the rates guide that each course is using .

Hopefully this will clear up everyone's lack of understanding and answer questions concerning the January only 9-hole golf availability. If not call the Tee Time Office.
For at least the past month every Thursday in The Daily Sun, Section B SPORTS, inside page under "GOLF" it has stated, "INTERESTED IN PLAYING 9-HOLES ANY TIME OF THE DAY EVERY DAY ON A CHAMPIONSHIP COURSE IN JANUARY? We are excited to announce that Egret at Evans Prairie and Torri Pines at Lopez Legacy will be offering 9-hole tee times from 7:28am through 4:00pm every day in January. These 9-hole tee times can only be scheduled by calling the Tee Time Office at 750-4558 up to 7 days in advance for Priority Members and 5 days in advance for Resident Members or by calling the specific golf shop on the day of play, and are not available through the tee time system. (9 hole play is not available on the other courses at Lopez and Evans Prairie) For additional information or to contact the golf shops, please call Evans Prairie at 205-8910 or Lopez Legacy at 753-1450......"
Old 01-13-2016, 09:51 AM

9 hole play is available any championship course any day between the hours of 1:30 P.M. To 2:00 P.M. During winter hours through the request system !
Old 01-13-2016, 10:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronat1 View Post
Hopefully this will clear up everyone's lack of understanding and answer questions concerning the January only 9-hole golf availability. If not call the Tee Time Office.
For at least the past month every Thursday in The Daily Sun, Section B SPORTS, inside page under "GOLF" it has stated, "INTERESTED IN PLAYING 9-HOLES ANY TIME OF THE DAY EVERY DAY ON A CHAMPIONSHIP COURSE IN JANUARY? We are excited to announce that Egret at Evans Prairie and Torri Pines at Lopez Legacy will be offering 9-hole tee times from 7:28am through 4:00pm every day in January. These 9-hole tee times can only be scheduled by calling the Tee Time Office at 750-4558 up to 7 days in advance for Priority Members and 5 days in advance for Resident Members or by calling the specific golf shop on the day of play, and are not available through the tee time system. (9 hole play is not available on the other courses at Lopez and Evans Prairie) For additional information or to contact the golf shops, please call Evans Prairie at 205-8910 or Lopez Legacy at 753-1450......"
It appears that golf management sees a particular need and is testing the viability of offering 9 holes during January. Might be a good business move, time will tell. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,301 Times in 864 Posts

If you check the golf page on The Villages.net there is a large banner that states that "Play 9 hole Championship golf any time of the day, every day on Torri Pines and Egret in January. Tee time reservations can only be made by contacting the Tee Time office at 750-4558 up to 7 days in advance for Priority members and 5 days in advance for Resident members.
(These times are not available in the Tee Time system.)

Hope this helps.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-13-2016, 01:22 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,297 Times in 535 Posts

Bagboy: You got it 100% correct. I too saw that piece in the Daily Sun. I think it's a great idea and you got the program in the north end and in the south end of TV.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred53 View Post
You can play 9 holes on championships after 1:30. To my knowledge(used to work for EP)there are never any single 9 holes on a championship dedicated to just 9 hole play as those playing 18 get routed(usually)by alphabetical order(i.e.: if you played Heron you go to Killdeer for the back 9...if you played Killdeer you go to Egret for the back 9...if you played Egret you go to Heron for your back 9).

When you check in with the starter you get a tag which labels you a 9 hole fee and can not play more than nine without paying for the additional 9. In the summer they have an after 5pm fee which allows play as many holes as you can. There might also be a play all you can in winter, but it would likely be an after 2 or 2:30 tee time.

Call the club you wish to play and query the staff. They have the answers and they may vary from club to club...day to day...depending on course play amount and other variables.
Not sure what EP you worked at, but at Evans Prairie the nines are Killdeer, Egret and Osprey. Heron is an Executive course further north. Prior to this trial Killdeer turned to Osprey, Osprey turned to Egret and Egret turned to Killdeer.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:21 PM
Gold member
Default Crap....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Dreamer View Post
Not sure what EP you worked at, but at Evans Prairie the nines are Killdeer, Egret and Osprey. Heron is an Executive course further north. Prior to this trial Killdeer turned to Osprey, Osprey turned to Egret and Egret turned to Killdeer.
figured I might have screwed it up. Thank you for the correction. The 9 holes still follow the alphabet(usually)to determine what your 9 hole to 9 hole order will be.
Closed Thread

Tags
play, holes, told, hole, guide, 2pm, 1.30pm, paying, full, time, courses, subject, availability, start, unlimited, golf, rate, evans, prairie, afternoon, weather, totally, playing, confused, occasionally

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.