View Poll Results: Do you use custom golf clubs
Yes 26 42.62%
No 35 57.38%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 04-07-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Fumar View Post
This was very disturbing to me to read about not using hand me down clubs.....I have been using used clubs for 15 years and I think they are PALMADE BRAND or something like that , its hard to tell as the logos have worn off, they are persimmon heads and duck tape grips...Why do I use them you asked ? because Mrs Fumar handed them down to me and said for you they are good enough...
She personally has a Nike SQ 5000 Driver and uses Bridgestone balls because thats what Freddy uses...
I asked her if I could have the putter cut down because I'm vertically challenged but she said stop wasting money and use it like a belly putter like Freddy does....In fact she even gives me used golf balls that she finds on the courses......today I played with a PoDo ball from Walgreens 3 for 1.39 ............I pretty sure Freddy doesn't play with those......My point is that I'm very happy with my clubs and If I didn't have them I would be playing Botchee like every one else ... No Thanks

second hand Fumar .....
Fumar

Behind every great Man, there's a great Woman golfer. Your wife has you under her spell.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Yes, both of us have custom clubs

GG, we also have enough clubs in garage to open a golf shop....giggle..
We use to have a sign on our house that said "Golf spoken here"...to
say that w love the game is an understatement....The ole boy REALLY keeps up with the latest and greatest?? clubs...Always tweeking with shafts also...
We are both single digit handicap but he is more serious than I am...I use to play in lots of tournaments in NC but now I'm into more fun and less work!!! Custom clubs have greatly improved both of our games..
Old 04-08-2011, 10:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhooman View Post
Hey Folks

My story about my golf game and clubs.

Took lessons 12 years ago through the park and Rec center here in Long Beach, Ca. I immediately fell in love with the game. My initial purchase of clubs were the cheapest available just in case I fell out of love with the game.

Two years later I'm still playing with my cheap clubs and not improving. I joined a womans club and had the opportunity to play with a Club Champion, she took a look at my cheap clubs and said, if you want to improve your game you need to invest in better equipment, your clubs are really sub par. My feelings were hurt for a second and I realized, maybe I should spend a little money on this game.

I went to our local pro shop and was fitted for clubs and to my wonder, my game turned around. That year I was the most improved golfer in two Women's clubs, I loved my new clubs.

Fast forward another 10 years, I still play with fitted clubs to fit some disabilities that I have with my hands. I play with mens clubs, large grips, two gloves and still periodically need to make changes to my equipment. Technology in the golf arena is amazing and my game is proof that fitted equipment works. I have a single digit handicap and I love this game, even the hideous shots.

That Club Champion called me the year I became the Club Champion and I will always be grateful for her candor and assessment of my pitiful equipment. As a woman golfer, we need to find a pro who truly understands our game and potential. Sometimes men, not all men, think women players are the hit and giggle type and do not take us seriously. I needed to be vigilante with my game and equipment.

When we move to TV I'll be looking for a Pro or someone who takes me and my game seriously.

So that's my story about my clubs. Keep tuned for the next saga.
Jhooman,
Thanks for sharing your story. I loved reading how you went from a duffer to Club Champion. Almost makes me feel there is hope for all of us.
I would still love to know more about:
  • What factors go into determining a good fit
  • How the golfer's size vs. swing characteristics are balanced and considered in determining the right fit
  • All of the specific characteristics of a club or set that might be customized and why
  • If swing characteristics are strongly considered in determining the right fit, does the golfer need to be refitted in a couple of years or so?
p.s., Does anyone else think Fumar has two dogs and a butterfly garden and gets new top-of-the-line custom-fitted clubs every other year?

Last edited by Pturner; 04-08-2011 at 10:29 AM. Reason: addition
Old 04-08-2011, 10:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Jhooman,
Thanks for sharing your story. I loved reading how you went from a duffer to Club Champion. Almost makes me feel there is hope for all of us.
  • How the golfer's size vs. swing characteristics are balanced and considered in determining the right fit
  • All of the specific characteristics of a club or set that might be customized and why
  • If swing characteristics are strongly considered in determining the right fit, does the golfer need to be refitted in a couple of years or so?
p.s., Does anyone else think Fumar has two dogs and a butterfly garden and gets new top-of-the-line custom-fitted clubs every other year?
Yes. I think that The Great Fumar is the Great Faker.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Jhooman,
OK, I'll give it a shot. A fitting is done to optimize the club characteristics for the particular golfer. Length, lie, overall weight, shaft flex and material, set make-up, and more are considered. Yes, a shorter shaft may mean a loss of clubhead speed. But, I remember a teaching pro at a clinic asking attendees what determines how far a ball will go. They answered clubhead speed. So, the pro took a driver, opened the clubface until it was pointed skyward and took a mighty swing. The ball went nowhere. Then he held the driver normally, took a leisurely swing and hit the crud out of the ball. The point is that clubhead speed delivered with a square club face moving in the proper path will deliver the best shot with each club. So, if a shorter shaft allows a player to hit the center of the clubface more frequently and deliver the clubhead to the ball square to the intended line of flight, that is the best length for that player. Another example. I was working at the old Tournament of Champions at La Costa one year after Ben Crenshaw won the Masters. He and Jack Nicklaus were on the practice tee and one of those watching heard Jack say he could hit the ball farther with Crenshaw's driver. So he asked why Jack didn't use one like Crenshaw. Jack then took Crenshaws driver and hit three balls with it. All of them took off like a jet and headed over the net at the end of the range. But before they got there, they all turned dead left. Jack said that is why he doesn't use one like Crenshaw. To further make the point. He then took his driver and three balls. He told us the balls would start out about 10 yards left of his caddie, Angelo, and fade over to him. Angelo caught all three on one bounce without moving his feet. Jack then took three more and started these out about ten yards right of Angelo and he caught all three without moving a step. The point is, with his driver and the specs set up just for him, Jack knows where the ball is going. With Crenshaw's driver, he doesn't. BTW, Jack was also known for using a driver about 1/4 to 1/2 inch shorter than standard. Didn't hurt his length much did it?

I would not advocate using an upright lie to "cure" a slice. All that does is encourage the heel to dig in and turn the face closed. Better to learn to swing properly, or, if desired, consider a large offset to help square the face. The proper lie will encourage the proper ball flight for each club. Lie is affected by club length and the person's hand to ground distance when taking a normal stance. There are short people with short arms and short people with long arms. They will likely need different length clubs.

The proper flex and overall weight will allow the player to optimize clubhead speed at impact, where it really matters.

Loft determines ball flight. Ball flight determines distance. These are generalizations as loft can be altered by stance and swing. Ball flight and distance are also affected by the ball type used. Some balls spin more than others, some fly higher than others, and some roll more than others. Loft is also affected by club design. Some clubs emphasize weight near the sole/bottom of the club, others at the center of mass of the clubhead. A club with more sole weight may launch the ball higher than one with more weight in the center of the face.

An advanced player may want clubs that let him/her "work" the ball left to right or right to left at will. A newer player may want a club that forgives off center hits more than one that works the ball.

A good clubfitter will listen to a player's needs and desires, ask about physical limitations, watch them hit some balls, then try out different clubs with different characteristics to try to determine the optimum set for that individual.

If an individual is going to take up the game seriously, meaning lessons, frequent practice, and playing, then they will likely need a new fitting as their game progresses. But the clubs will still be useful. A recreational, social, golfer who is less interested in lessons, practice, etc., may not need a subsequent fitting.

Wow, that got long. Hope it's not clear as mud now.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:47 PM
Sage

Mikeod,
Thank you, thank you, thank you! Those were thorough, understandable and fabulous explanations. I am ready to replace my almost 20-year-old irons, which is why I asked. Fitting seems like a good way to go.

BTW, I hope it was pun intended when you said, "I'll take a shot at it".

Old 04-08-2011, 04:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
OK, I'll give it a shot. A fitting is done to optimize the club characteristics for the particular golfer. Length, lie, overall weight, shaft flex and material, set make-up, and more are considered. Yes, a shorter shaft may mean a loss of clubhead speed. But, I remember a teaching pro at a clinic asking attendees what determines how far a ball will go. They answered clubhead speed. So, the pro took a driver, opened the clubface until it was pointed skyward and took a mighty swing. The ball went nowhere. Then he held the driver normally, took a leisurely swing and hit the crud out of the ball. The point is that clubhead speed delivered with a square club face moving in the proper path will deliver the best shot with each club. So, if a shorter shaft allows a player to hit the center of the clubface more frequently and deliver the clubhead to the ball square to the intended line of flight, that is the best length for that player. Another example. I was working at the old Tournament of Champions at La Costa one year after Ben Crenshaw won the Masters. He and Jack Nicklaus were on the practice tee and one of those watching heard Jack say he could hit the ball farther with Crenshaw's driver. So he asked why Jack didn't use one like Crenshaw. Jack then took Crenshaws driver and hit three balls with it. All of them took off like a jet and headed over the net at the end of the range. But before they got there, they all turned dead left. Jack said that is why he doesn't use one like Crenshaw. To further make the point. He then took his driver and three balls. He told us the balls would start out about 10 yards left of his caddie, Angelo, and fade over to him. Angelo caught all three on one bounce without moving his feet. Jack then took three more and started these out about ten yards right of Angelo and he caught all three without moving a step. The point is, with his driver and the specs set up just for him, Jack knows where the ball is going. With Crenshaw's driver, he doesn't. BTW, Jack was also known for using a driver about 1/4 to 1/2 inch shorter than standard. Didn't hurt his length much did it?

I would not advocate using an upright lie to "cure" a slice. All that does is encourage the heel to dig in and turn the face closed. Better to learn to swing properly, or, if desired, consider a large offset to help square the face. The proper lie will encourage the proper ball flight for each club. Lie is affected by club length and the person's hand to ground distance when taking a normal stance. There are short people with short arms and short people with long arms. They will likely need different length clubs.

The proper flex and overall weight will allow the player to optimize clubhead speed at impact, where it really matters.

Loft determines ball flight. Ball flight determines distance. These are generalizations as loft can be altered by stance and swing. Ball flight and distance are also affected by the ball type used. Some balls spin more than others, some fly higher than others, and some roll more than others. Loft is also affected by club design. Some clubs emphasize weight near the sole/bottom of the club, others at the center of mass of the clubhead. A club with more sole weight may launch the ball higher than one with more weight in the center of the face.

An advanced player may want clubs that let him/her "work" the ball left to right or right to left at will. A newer player may want a club that forgives off center hits more than one that works the ball.

A good clubfitter will listen to a player's needs and desires, ask about physical limitations, watch them hit some balls, then try out different clubs with different characteristics to try to determine the optimum set for that individual.

If an individual is going to take up the game seriously, meaning lessons, frequent practice, and playing, then they will likely need a new fitting as their game progresses. But the clubs will still be useful. A recreational, social, golfer who is less interested in lessons, practice, etc., may not need a subsequent fitting.

Wow, that got long. Hope it's not clear as mud now.
I am printing this. We certainly have expert help here on this forum. Thank you Mike!
Old 04-08-2011, 05:41 PM

Mike

That was amazing, thank you so much.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:46 AM
Veteran member
Default Better Indian, or better arrows?

On a trip to Hawaii 2 years ago, Kathy and I played golf on two courses:

Course #1 -- Top notch, relatively expensive, we rented quality clubs. I shot so-so.

Course #2 -- Not top notch, lower greens fees, we rented banged-up, so-so clubs (the only ones available). I shot better!

So...the question is...what makes for a better golfer? Being a better Indian (player), or having better arrows (clubs)? In the end, I think the former.

But better arrows are nice, too <g>.

Gene
Old 04-09-2011, 10:14 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glgene View Post
On a trip to Hawaii 2 years ago, Kathy and I played golf on two courses:

Course #1 -- Top notch, relatively expensive, we rented quality clubs. I shot so-so.

Course #2 -- Not top notch, lower greens fees, we rented banged-up, so-so clubs (the only ones available). I shot better!

So...the question is...what makes for a better golfer? Being a better Indian (player), or having better arrows (clubs)? In the end, I think the former.

But better arrows are nice, too <g>.

Gene
You never know which golfer will show up on any particular day!!!!

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 04-09-2011, 10:26 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhooman View Post
Mike

That was amazing, thank you so much.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
Great info but this last part is priceless.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Great info but this last part is priceless.
absolutely right boston

Forum Question
Old 07-10-2011, 06:10 PM

Most of the answers are right on, get lessons then get fitted when your swing gets better. I am a club maker and I would recommend going for lessons and then get fit for clubs. Loft, lie, shaft flex, length and grip size all make a difference in the swing. So start with lessons.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.