Are dogs allowed on golf courses in the Villages?

Closed Thread
Old 08-02-2021, 06:37 AM
Default Are dogs allowed on golf courses in the Villages?

Just curious: I have never had a dog, and actually have no serious plans to get one (I travel a lot), but, just out of curiosity, I'm wondering: If I had a well trained dog, would it be okay by Villages rules for me to take him in my golf cart to a golf course in the villages, and leave him in the cart as I get out to play each hole? I do know that it would be a mistreatment of the poor animal to leave him home alone while I go off to play. My wife is not here with me, so I have no one to leave the animal with.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:43 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoungs View Post
Just curious: I have never had a dog, and actually have no serious plans to get one (I travel a lot), but, just out of curiosity, I'm wondering: If I had a well trained dog, would it be okay by Villages rules for me to take him in my golf cart to a golf course in the villages, and leave him in the cart as I get out to play each hole? I do know that it would be a mistreatment of the poor animal to leave him home alone while I go off to play. My wife is not here with me, so I have no one to leave the animal with.
No dogs allowed
Old 08-02-2021, 06:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
NO!
Old 08-02-2021, 07:04 AM

I am curious. Why don’t you think you can leave a dog at home alone for a couple of hours?

My lab is perfectly fine by himself for 4-5 hours if necessary. He was crate trained as a puppy and has never, ever had an “accident” in the house. We also do not feel the need to take him everywhere we go.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
HUH? No dog, why ask?
Old 08-02-2021, 08:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
If the dog has taken the course at Arnold Palmer on how to keep the pace and will rake the traps and not bark when others are ready to hit.

No...not even that.............sigh.

Most of us like dogs very much but methinks that perhaps our collective legs are being pulled????
Old 08-02-2021, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
On what planet in the universe is this true?

MOST people who have dogs have no problem leaving their dogs home for several hours every day. Part-time jobs, or families where each member has scattered hours so the pooch gets to see someone and get their necessary walks mornings, suppertime, and bedtime.

Do you bring your dog into the doctor's office when you get your yearly checkup? Do you bring your dog into the supermarket? Do you bring your dog inside restaurants? Are you one of those people who has a pet, and pretends it's a service animal so you can get around the rules that MOST people have no problem abiding by and respecting, without any harm coming to their beloved pet?
Old 08-02-2021, 08:43 AM
Default Moot point?

Quote:
Not sure exactly the motivation behind this post. However, I did play Palmer awhile back and a single joined our threesome. He was a very good golfer but did have his dog with him. He did not appear to be handicapped but maybe it was a service dog. In any event, the dog cried while in the cart when he left him to hit. Before the round was over the dog got out and ran around and even was on the greens a couple of times. We mentioned to the ambassador but he did not seem concerned or fazed by it. Not sure if we were more upset about the dog or the fact that he was that much better golfer than us.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterray1 View Post
Not sure exactly the motivation behind this post. However, I did play Palmer awhile back and a single joined our threesome. He was a very good golfer but did have his dog with him. He did not appear to be handicapped but maybe it was a service dog. In any event, the dog cried while in the cart when he left him to hit. Before the round was over the dog got out and ran around and even was on the greens a couple of times. We mentioned to the ambassador but he did not seem concerned or fazed by it. Not sure if we were more upset about the dog or the fact that he was that much better golfer than us.
You should have told the starter, and if he didn't do anything about it the head Pro should've been called. The one with the dog wouldn't have been allowed to play, and would have been given a rain check.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:56 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,772 Times in 512 Posts

Quote:
Wasn't this answered by you in a previous post in June?

ryoungs

LOL I have no advice on dogs, other than the owner should have their pet under control at all times. If dog walkers are not allowed on the golf courses, than dogs should not be there either.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:01 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,034 Times in 364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Wasn't this answered by you in a previous post in June?

ryoungs

LOL I have no advice on dogs, other than the owner should have their pet under control at all times. If dog walkers are not allowed on the golf courses, than dogs should not be there either.
Should pretty much do it for this thread
Old 08-02-2021, 09:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I never thought I'd see the day that I'd welcome a dog thread as a nice diversion.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterray1 View Post
That is not a service dog. It's a pet. Service dogs are trained to be quiet, keep 4 on the floor, either lay down or sit still unless needed to do anything else, and stay at the heel of whoever it is trained to assist. Service dogs are not left in the golf cart while the golfer is hitting a golf ball.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:09 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

My dog doesn't care to play golf but he sometimes drives for me when I've had a few adult beverages on the course. Simple fix by getting a spectator sticker for the cart when you sign in at the starter shack.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:12 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
That is not a service dog. It's a pet. Service dogs are trained to be quiet, keep 4 on the floor, either lay down or sit still unless needed to do anything else, and stay at the heel of whoever it is trained to assist. Service dogs are not left in the golf cart while the golfer is hitting a golf ball.
A service dog on the course would have to be OK'd by the head pro. I haven't seen one in the two and a half years I've been working on the courses. As a matter of fact I have never seen a dog on the course with a player in that time.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, leave, villages, animal, play

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.