Driver demo

Closed Thread
Old 01-11-2017, 02:56 PM
Veteran member
Default Driver demo

Has anybody bought or even tried this driver?

HIGH HEAT DRIVER

It's getting heavily promoted. I believe it will be demo'd at the Sarasota practice center, but I can't attend. Just curious about whether there is something to it or if it's simply high priced snake oil at $400. Then again, $400 seems to be typical for drivers these days.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:21 PM
Platinum member

In my 65 years of golfing, I have determined time and time again that "it ain't the arrow, it's the Indian".
Old 01-11-2017, 04:30 PM
Veteran member
Default Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
In my 65 years of golfing, I have determined time and time again that "it ain't the arrow, it's the Indian".
Well, for the most part true. But I think a lot of archers would disagree. Arrows have gotten much better. Do you still play with wooden clubs? Would you?
Old 01-11-2017, 04:47 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Thank you for making me smile and reinforce something I've thought for many years. A get deal of money made in the golf equipment business.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:56 PM
Gold member

Quote:
It's not the club, it's the clubber.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

A $400 driver will probably not help you lower your scores. You'd be better off spending your money on lessons and range balls.

If you really feel the need to buy a new club, try to find a wedge that will help you hit it closer to the hole or a putter that will help you make more putts.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:26 PM
Veteran member
Default Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
A $400 driver will probably not help you lower your scores. You'd be better off spending your money on lessons and range balls.

If you really feel the need to buy a new club, try to find a wedge that will help you hit it closer to the hole or a putter that will help you make more putts.

That's the textbook answer, and lessons are on the calendar. But when you're pushing 80 and shooting high 90s, siren songs from equipment manufacturers sound so sweet. Anyway, I wasn't planning on buying this thing. Just wanted to know if anybody has poked holes in the sales pitch.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:52 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
[/I]

That's the textbook answer, and lessons are on the calendar. But when you're pushing 80 and shooting high 90s, siren songs from equipment manufacturers sound so sweet. Anyway, I wasn't planning on buying this thing. Just wanted to know if anybody has poked holes in the sales pitch.
I can only hope is am shooting in the 90's when I am pushing 80. Good for you! If all those drivers, wedges, balls, training aids, videos worked, I would be shooting my age.... 65
Old 01-11-2017, 10:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts
Default Driver Demo

When I read the title of the thread, I thought there was going to be an announcement of a road closure whereby the public was invited to come and watch...professional drivers show how to navigate roundabouts.

On topic, YES...newer equipment can definitely help you.

If you're using a driver (and even irons for that matter) more than 2-3 years old, the newer ones can give even high handicappers more distance and forgiveness.

While it certainly won't cure everything and lessons/practice are still needed, you might learn to enjoy enjoy hitting an 8/9 iron to the green...instead of a 5/6.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
I can only hope is am shooting in the 90's when I am pushing 80. Good for you! If all those drivers, wedges, balls, training aids, videos worked, I would be shooting my age.... 65
I was thinking the same thing!

There is certainly no shame shooting in the 90's...when you're 80 years old!
Old 01-12-2017, 08:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
When I read the title of the thread, I thought there was going to be an announcement of a road closure whereby the public was invited to come and watch...professional drivers show how to navigate roundabouts.

On topic, YES...newer equipment can definitely help you.

If you're using a driver (and even irons for that matter) more than 2-3 years old, the newer ones can give even high handicappers more distance and forgiveness.

While it certainly won't cure everything and lessons/practice are still needed, you might learn to enjoy enjoy hitting an 8/9 iron to the green...instead of a 5/6.
I'd love to see a driver that produces a shot long enough to result in a three club difference to a green that wasn't available two or three years ago. Now if you're talking about a wooden driver with a steel shaft from the 70's and a wound balata ball vs a graphite shafted, titanium 460CC driver hitting a solid core ball you might see 3-4 clubs difference. But a driver from 2-3 years ago? I haven't seen a huge difference in distance since Ping came out with the TiSi driver back in the 90s. All the rest give you a bit more accuracy but since then I've seen maybe 4-5 yards more off the tee for good players. You can get a bigger jump in distance by having your driver and ball fit to you.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
I'd love to see a driver that produces a shot long enough to result in a three club difference to a green that wasn't available two or three years ago. Now if you're talking about a wooden driver with a steel shaft from the 70's and a wound balata ball vs a graphite shafted, titanium 460CC driver hitting a solid core ball you might see 3-4 clubs difference. But a driver from 2-3 years ago? I haven't seen a huge difference in distance since Ping came out with the TiSi driver back in the 90s. All the rest give you a bit more accuracy but since then I've seen maybe 4-5 yards more off the tee for good players. You can get a bigger jump in distance by having your driver and ball fit to you.
Boom; I totally agree. I've hit the same 9.5 degree Razor Fit driver for the last 7 years and I can't find anything I can hit straighter or further. I did change the stock shaft to a Grafalloy Pro Launch Red right after I got it to help get the ball flight down.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Boom; I totally agree. I've hit the same 9.5 degree Razor Fit driver for the last 7 years and I can't find anything I can hit straighter or further. I did change the stock shaft to a Grafalloy Pro Launch Red right after I got it to help get the ball flight down.
I guess I needed to have spelled out WHY newer drivers give you more distance...ON THE AVERAGE.

It's the ability to adjust it to fit your swing and to maximize your typical off-center hits (probably 80%+ for a 15 index) and your natural flaws (slices/hooks)...not your best nutted ones.

I will admit however, that I probably should have said in the last 5-6 years...not the last 2-3.

Best Drivers 2016 - Golf Digest

Quote:

On the surface, the idea that drivers are still getting better today seems absurd, in a word, laughable. Why, the U.S. Golf Association, has instituted more rules limiting distance, and driver performance specifically, in the last 20 years than they had in their previous century of existence.

But this would be missing the point of what driver technology is about today. What we found in this year’s collection of the best drivers in the game isn’t so much the rush to make your longest possible shots longer. No, that’s already long since been taken care of, and besides, the rules limiting the face’s spring-like effect are clear and, we think, relatively impenetrable. Rather, while the center of the face and our most perfect hits are no longer fertile ground, what is most intriguing to the game’s brightest designers is how to make our worst selves so much more presentable—at least when it comes to our tee balls.

With new ultralight composite materials and alloys, plus new processes that thin titanium nearly to the thickness of a business card, those big drivers not only spring the ball with extra velocity when we miss the center of the face, they’ve also been designed to control spin so shots launch high but still fly with force and land with an attitude.

But the genius doesn’t stop there. What makes drivers extra special today is how personal they get thanks to the multiple levels of adjustability that are now commonplace.

It is not unusual with movable weights and rotating hosels that a typical driver can be 10, 20 or even a thousand heads in one.

Our testing shows the twist of a wrench can mean 20-plus yards of ballflight correction, either straighter or longer. It’s all a matter of finding the right setting to unleash the big hitter you always dreamed you’d be.

Drivers not getting any better?

Please.

Believe that and the joke’s on you.
And the difference in approach shots is due to the additional forgiveness of irons and the same philosophy of maximizing your worst impacts...as well as driver distance.

Now I realize that you're both probably golf club engineers and have a plus index (mine is only mid-single digit, so I'm at a disadvantage), but I think I'll go by the actual testing of a reputable golf magazine and their scientific results...over y'alls opinion.

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 01-12-2017 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
And the difference in approach shots is due to the additional forgiveness of irons and the same philosophy of maximizing your worst impacts...
And to follow up on that...

Best Super Game-Improvement Irons 2016 - Golf Digest

Quote:

2016 Best Super Game-Improvement Irons

Struggling with your game? Do not panic; help is on the way. These 2016 Hot List super game-improvement irons will find ways to get your ball in the air, make better contact more often and simply allow you to have more fun.

More yards, higher flight and easier to hit?

That sounds like a lot of fun and will soon have you saying, "Man, I'm good" when looking at the scorecard.

So, do you still believe that the combination of adjustable drivers, combined with irons that are much more forgiving...can't equate to a 3 club difference to the green?

It's certainly your prerogative to have your opinion...but the science is against you.
Closed Thread

Tags
driver, high, $400, simply, snake

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.