excessive use of rope on executive courses

Closed Thread
Old 07-21-2017, 05:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts
Exclamation Hmmmm......

I guess my first thought is that if someone is concerned about tripping over a rope that they can see because they didn't lift a leg high enough, then maybe they shouldn't be playing golf...as getting into and out of a bunker can be much more hazardous than those ropes.

And then of course, there are the same issues involving getting in and out of golf carts, any curb, entry rugs in stores, door thresholds, etc., etc., etc.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
I guess my first thought is that if someone is concerned about tripping over a rope that they can see because they didn't lift a leg high enough, then maybe they shouldn't be playing golf...as getting into and out of a bunker can be much more hazardous than those ropes.

And then of course, there are the same issues involving getting in and out of golf carts, any curb, entry rugs in stores, door thresholds, etc., etc., etc.
Read the entire post
Old 07-21-2017, 06:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by genecruey View Post
Read the entire post
Ummm, I did...and I stand by my observations.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:29 PM
Sage

I have seen 9 of 10 golfers on a Champiionship course walk over the rope or chain, rather than around it. Why do that, when it is only a few steps out of the way and safer
to walk?
Old 07-21-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Ummm, I did...and I stand by my observations.
Guess I should have used pictures, literally, not a slam. They are placed by water run off from elevated tees that are just bare spots. The point is it helps nothing and does create a hazard to some of our older golfer uselessly. Sorry I could not get my point across but I have found that to be a very difficult thing to do. If I can't convince golfers who are out there how could I expect to convince the maintenance bosses. OH, by the way you don't see and
ropes by tees on championship course. That would be bad for business from paying customers. Who wants to step over or walk around ropes to get to the tee. Thanks for you comment.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:16 PM

The point I was trying to make is they are placing ropes by tees that are not doing what they supposed to as no maintenance has been done and the little black things attached to the path do the job of keeping carts of the edge without ropes. Thanks for your feed back.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:47 PM

I actually tripped over a rope back home. I had a very nice trip that fall!! I have learned to watch out for them. Didn't take me long to learn.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:07 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Guess I should have used pictures, literally, not a slam. They are placed by water run off from elevated tees that are just bare spots. The point is it helps nothing and does create a hazard to some of our older golfer uselessly. Sorry I could not get my point across but I have found that to be a very difficult thing to do. If I can't convince golfers who are out there how could I expect to convince the maintenance bosses. OH, by the way you don't see and
ropes by tees on championship course.
That would be bad for business from paying customers. Who wants to step over or walk around ropes to get to the tee. Thanks for you comment.
I play a lot of championship courses and do see ropes by tee boxes. (And many other places on the courses.)
Old 07-22-2017, 05:39 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
The point I was trying to make is they are placing ropes by tees that are not doing what they supposed to as no maintenance has been done and the little black things attached to the path do the job of keeping carts of the edge without ropes. Thanks for your feed back.
genecruey: I cannot speak to the need and/or to the maintenance people's proper application BUT the ropes do indeed create an ingredient of an accident waiting to happen.

I had received complaints in my past life where people have made claim against Target stores because they walked into the RED BALLS that are located at their front entrance...or people who have tripped over curves which were clearly painted YELLOW . The point is that the brain takes in only so much and we are all easily distracted.

So if you are correct that there is a misapplication of roping off areas then you indeed have a valid point.

Personal Best Regards:
Old 07-22-2017, 05:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
genecruey: I cannot speak to the need and/or to the maintenance people's proper application BUT the ropes do indeed create an ingredient of an accident waiting to happen.

I had received complaints in my past life where people have made claim against Target stores because they walked into the RED BALLS that are located at their front entrance...or people who have tripped over curves which were clearly painted YELLOW . The point is that the brain takes in only so much and we are all easily distracted.

So if you are correct that there is a misapplication of roping off areas then you indeed have a valid point.

Personal Best Regards:
I agree. AND Morgan and Morgan could make someone a rich person.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:24 AM

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. You are one of the few that understood this was not a protest but an attempt to enhance the golfing experience by making a safer golfing environment for our many older players who have the courage and will to "get out there". I admire them so much. I'm not there yet but I pray I can still tee it up into my 80s and God willing my 90s. Again, the next time you play look at the majority of ropes by the tees and ask yourself "is it going to help/make grass grow in this spot? Is it protecting a spot from traffic or was it caused by water runoff and need to be repaired not roped"
Old 07-22-2017, 07:45 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimivillager View Post
My friend tripped and broke her hip recently
Tripped over a rope?
Old 07-22-2017, 07:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

The ropes are there to discourage people from driving their golf carts over those areas. There is always an opening in the ropes for people to walk through. You are not going to trip over the ropes if you use the walk through the opening.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
The ropes are there to discourage people from driving their golf carts over those areas. There is always an opening in the ropes for people to walk through. You are not going to trip over the ropes if you use the walk through the opening.
You are right in general. But the ropes in question are protecting places that cart traffic or nothing else but maintenance could fix. No additional harm could be done. I have observed closely how much damage is done by carts and believe it or not most are places caused by the "funneling" effect of ropes. Check it out.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:56 PM

see my rope pictures re. ropes post for photo examples
Closed Thread

Tags
ropes, areas, rope, play, grass

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.