excessive use of rope on executive courses

Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2017, 02:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by genecruey View Post
see my rope pictures re. ropes post for photo examples
I just viewed your 'rope photos' in your album...and am still shaking my head.

Although they look like a trap that could trip and catch wild elephants, in their brilliant insidiousness design, I really think I have a workable solution...if one is incapable of safely stepping over those 12" high ropes.

Just walk around them...or between the gap provided.

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 07-22-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:37 PM
Default Ropes along tees on exec courses

Quote:
......... The point is it helps nothing and does create a hazard to some of our older golfer uselessly. ..........
Seems I'm in the minority on this, but I very much agree with you. I've always felt the ropes along the teeing areas on the exec courses serve no reasonable purpose and are a unnecessary hazard for all players on the course.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:44 PM

I take it that you missed the point. We are protecting bare areas at the expensive of safety and slower play. People have been hurt but I assume you that you think it is their fault for being careless. It's not for me or you, but I am speaking for the less fit who have indeed been injured for what you saw in the photos.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
I take it that you missed the point. We are protecting bare areas at the expensive of safety and slower play. People have been hurt but I assume you that you think it is their fault for being careless. It's not for me or you, but I am speaking for the less fit who have indeed been injured for what you saw in the photos.
Sir, you need to learn how to quote. Thank you.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Then how do these people safely get in and out of bunkers...and rake their footprints?
Old 07-22-2017, 06:02 PM

Thank you so much. This was my first time posting and I was losing faith in the lack of compassion of the responses. I tried in every way I new including pictures to show that ropes were being inappropriately placed. I know personally or have been told of trips on the ropes by the tees causing a broken shoulder, a broken hip and a sever fall of a close friend. The lack of understanding and compassion has shaken me as I love The Villages and I am it's most ardent support and I keep saying "bless those who keep teeing it up". Most reply's have ridiculed these brave folks. They do pay the same amenities fees as everyone else. Their fees help pay for the great executive course we have. I believe the maintenance crew does a fantastic job with so much play on them but they don't always get it right. Thanks again.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:13 PM

Most of the wonderful folks I play with, that you refer to actual do not get in and out of the traps, mostly by doctors orders. A friend will get the ball, rake the trap gladly to see them out here. In any event that doesn't change the fact that the ropes are used excessive in areas that they do no good and do some harm. I am not trying to be offensive, we just disagree.

Thanks like your byline "Standing up for the underdog and against bullies...every chance I get"
Old 07-23-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
I just viewed your 'rope photos' in your album...and am still shaking my head.

Although they look like a trap that could trip and catch wild elephants, in their brilliant insidiousness design, I really think I have a workable solution...if one is incapable of safely stepping over those 12" high ropes.

Just walk around them...or between the gap provided.
Seems logical.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:16 AM

Thanks but the point was that they should not be in most of the places that the are. the post had nothing to do with abled bodied golfers walking around ropes. They are a hazard to the handicapped and have resulted in severe injuries. Protect our golfers not our bare dirt spots that should be fixed.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:35 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Thanks but the point was that they should not be in most of the places that the are. the post had nothing to do with abled bodied golfers walking around ropes. They are a hazard to the handicapped and have resulted in severe injuries. Protect our golfers not our bare dirt spots that should be fixed.
Sometimes the ropes are in place to give guidance on where to go and where not to go. If there are bare dirt spots with a rope by it or around it........just don't go over the rope. It's simple. It's just golf.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Most of the wonderful folks I play with, that you refer to actual do not get in and out of the traps, mostly by doctors orders. A friend will get the ball, rake the trap gladly to see them out here...
You know there's a golf course over on Rolling Acres Rd next to the VFW that these people should be playing, it's called Putt-Putt. Just tell them to watch out for those 2"x4"s on the edge of the fairways.

Here's where can write your golfing comments and maybe they can do something about it Golf The Villages
Old 07-23-2017, 10:14 AM

Thank you. That's what signs are for. You know "scatter, no cart, carts on path etc. Ropes funnel traffic and actually cause worn spots. Sorry I am so bad at making the point of my post. The black disc are to keep carts on the path. The ropes should mark wet area, block hazardous areas, protect areas that are being repaired. Blocking access to greens and tees to protect a bald, water run of damage spot is not the correct usage. If they remove the wrong ones I promise to walk around ropes protecting wet areas, new sod or grass and hazardous areas ( I already do). Thanks for your input. Oh, the rope guidance is where not to go. No offence intended. Thanks again.

Last edited by genecruey; 07-23-2017 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Thank you. That's what sings are for. You know "scatter, no cart, carts on path etc. Ropes funnel traffic and actually cause worn spots. Sorry I am so bad at making the point of my post. The black disc are to keep carts on the path. The ropes should mark wet area, block hazardous areas, protect areas that are being repaired. Blocking access to greens and tees to protect a bald, water run of damage spot is not the correct usage. If they remove the wrong ones I promise to walk around ropes protecting wet areas, new sod or grass and hazardous areas ( I already do). Thanks for your input. Oh, the rope guidance is where not to go. No offence intended. Thanks again.
Gene. You are a good man. I checked you out on Facebook. You have something that is legitimately bothering you but are finding it isn't shared by a lot of people.

I suggest you take a step back . (watch out for the ropes) now a couple more steps back and look at the whole picture. 32 nine hole courses that are part of your $150 amenity fee. Courses that run on time almost all of the time and courses that are used from sunup to sundown. Courses where people do keep the pace of play FOR THE MOST PART and where hundreds and people begin golf and start loving the game you can play for life. Courses that back on homes that have people who enjoy watching you make a perfect six iron shot and love it when you one putt a green. Please don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Enjoy the courses. Time is a wastin'.

Last edited by graciegirl; 07-23-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:05 AM

Gracie, Thank you so much I did step back before trying to bring awareness to a real problem. A golfer's broken hip, broken shoulder, and sever fall by a friend prompted me to try to get fewer improperly used ropes by the tees and greens. I know you can't read all of threads of this post but I have stated exactly what you said. The crew does a fantastic job. The quality of the courses is amazing given the amount of play. I came here to play golf and I do every day. Sometimes good intensions are misguided (the ropes) and I only pray that it doesn't result in the death of a villager before it is review and proper guidance is give to our wonderful maintenance crew concerning proper rope placement. I came here because of the golf and have not been disappointed in any way. The exec. courses are A1. The intent was to make it a little more "user friendly" for some of our fellow golfers. I just saw a post that said they should be playing putt putt and not be on the execs. I believe everyone pays that $150 you spoke of for the privileges of using all amenities. What a fantastic bargain. We of the Villages are truly blessed. On a lighter note, I was told by one of our course starter that's his wife drove into one of the ropes and it wound around the axel and it took several minutes to get going again. Thank you for your kind post. I had already decide I had whipped this dead horse too long. I am giving up. My favorite response was "I don't care". So I am saying duh duh that's all folks. Now can I have a few good riddance's. Ha Ha

Last edited by genecruey; 07-23-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:08 AM

They pay the same amenities fees and are entitled to all amenities.
Closed Thread

Tags
ropes, areas, rope, play, grass

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.