Executive courses - 5 best and 5 worst

Closed Thread
Old 07-19-2022, 02:11 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,316 Times in 595 Posts
Default Executive courses - 5 best and 5 worst

I have been here about a year and have limited my golf to nearby executive courses.

However, for the next few months (before they get crowded) I am hoping to play one or two new executive courses each month and would like recommendations for the top 5 to play and the top 5 to avoid. Thanks.
Old 07-19-2022, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
I have been here about a year and have limited my golf to nearby executive courses.

However, for the next few months (before they get crowded) I am hoping to play one or two new executive courses each month and would like recommendations for the top 5 to play and the top 5 to avoid. Thanks.
My opinion:

Top 5 Southern Star, Yankee Clipper, Trueman, Pelican, Roosevelt

Lots of bottom 5
Old 07-19-2022, 03:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,073 Times in 2,743 Posts

Quote:

We travel throughout the Villages to play all the Championship courses but only play the Executives closer to home, so I can’t give you a complete list. That being said, put Pelican on the top of your must play list. Have fun : )
Old 07-19-2022, 04:05 PM

Quote:

Not to side step the answer but I think there needs to be a distinction between current condition vs course layout and design. A couple of my favorite courses are in pretty bad shape right now.
Old 07-19-2022, 04:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:

Play them all.
Old 07-19-2022, 05:13 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

My top five would be different from many others. It depends on where you live and how accessible various courses are, how difficult or easy they are depending on your preferences, how attractive you find them etc. My favorite courses are: 1. Becall 2. Roosevelt 3. Yankee Clipper 4. Palmetto 5. Tarpon Boil 6. Truman 7. Volusia 8. Southern Star 9. Lowlands (higher if it were closer) 10. Heron
Old 07-19-2022, 06:03 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

Lowlands favorite layout(and has food trucks and beer after the 9th hole). Okeechobee, Escambia, Volusia(closed)and Sarasota. fun layouts and usually in the best condition of all execs. Like playing Truman, Roosevelt, southern star, tarpon boil, sandhill, mangrove, Bogart and Bacall. Most vary in condition, but are all playable for fun. if you're hitting the ball well they all play equally easy. I don't place any emphasis on putting as these courses get tons of play and are rarely seriously puttable.

Play expeditiously and with proper etiquette. Pay attention to the group in front of you and pace yourself with them in mind. Do not practice putting on a green because you have to wait on the next hole...it's impolite. Hit one tee ball only unless you've lost the first. Golf is not about hitting a tee shot till you get one you like. If you have to listen to music...wear bluetooth headphones or earbuds. No one needs to be forced to hear your taste in music.

Many treat the execs are their own personal playground and are inconsiderate and entitled...don't be on of them....please. Play ready golf...play when you have the chance without interfering with your playing partners and be ready when it's your turn.
Old 07-20-2022, 04:35 AM
Veteran member

I like Pelican, but so many friends either dread playing or outright refuse to play it
Old 07-20-2022, 04:37 AM

When we moved here we made it a priority to check off every executive course on the list, so we played them all. There are a few way up north that we are not fond of but overall we enjoy most of them. Anything to get us out of the house. We don’t mind traveling south to gray fox or north to briarwood. We just like to shake it up.
Old 07-20-2022, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobob View Post
I like Pelican, but so many friends either dread playing or outright refuse to play it
I like Pelican also because it's the closest thing to a Championship course without the green fees.
Old 07-20-2022, 05:28 AM

When we moved to the Villages, I started playing the local courses as many as four to six times a week. I decided to try playing all of the Executive courses with some Championship thrown in. Why not play them all. I ended up missing only the new Championship in the south, the front nine at Marsh Bend, and the pitch & putt at Fenney. It was a fun experience. Due twosome medical issues I have had to stop playing.

Like others have mentioned, be courteous, rake the traps, and most of all repair your divots on the greens.

Last edited by WingedFoot78; 07-20-2022 at 05:34 AM.
Old 07-20-2022, 05:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,605 Times in 942 Posts

OOOHH - new course map.
https://www.golfthevillages.com/imag...Map.pdf?v=1711

Too many definitions of top 5.
Some may like a course that’s more challenging i.e. Pelican
Old 07-20-2022, 06:20 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,076 Times in 432 Posts

One of our favorites is Volusia, but it's been closed for over two months now (rebuilding the cart path on #3). Others at the top of the list include Gray Fox, Lowlands, Sweetgum and Truman. The ones near the bottom of my list are Red Fox, Mira Mesa, Oakleigh, Mangrove and Bonita Pass.

That said, we are appreciative having so many courses available to choose from. And, this time of year, one can get a tee time just about anywhere you want to play.
Old 07-20-2022, 07:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I’ve played pretty much all of them north of 466a a many south. I don’t know if I can come up with a top five but a few of my favorites are Oakleigh, Truman, Roosevelt and Amberwood.
Worst? I’d stay away from Pelican and Heron. Lots of blind shots and usually in horrible condition.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-20-2022, 07:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobob View Post
Why???? (I don't play execs, so it's a legitimate question)
Closed Thread

Tags
executive, courses, top, play, hoping

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.