Executive Courses with Fluffy Lies

Closed Thread
Old 02-05-2015, 06:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I am getting rather good with my putter from 10-15 yards out. They don't ask HOW, they ask HOW Many.
Me too from 5 yards.
Over 5 yards I'm doing a Hail Mary as it rolls.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamdogman View Post
Good Lord guys and ladies, you are playing Executive Golf Courses that get more rounds of golf per year than any golf course you probably have played. The staff that takes care of the Executive Courses are the same people who take care of the Championship Courses. They treat Executive Courses the same way, and over the last year Golf Management has changed the companies and I believe for the better. I work at both Bogart/Bacall and Pelican/Heron and have noticed many great changes over the past few months. One has to look at the number of rounds played at Executive Courses, particularly this time of year. Accept the fact that the more players, the courses are going to suffer. Instead of knocking these courses, knock the people who do not rake traps, do not take care of ball marks on the greens.
Bogart/Bacall get just as much business as Pelican/Heron. Would you agree?
The conditions of Bogart/Bacall, especially with tight lies is superior to Heron/Pelican. Would you agree?
I did the math and it is amazing that any exec course is playable at all. You guys are great.
But why are some execs better then others if the same team is managing them all? I asked the starter that question today at Bogart. He didn't know.If you don't rake a trap it doesn't affect me, I'll lift, clean and place. If you make a ball mark and forget to fix it, I will.

Last edited by tomwed; 02-05-2015 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:58 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Good point. But also one of the challenges of the game is to be Able to adapt and play from different lies.
I agree. That's one of the best things about the game. You can play the same course 5 times and get into many different lies on each of the holes. Golf offers so many variables.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Bogart/Bacall get just as much business as Pelican/Heron. Would you agree?
The conditions of Bogart/Bacall, especially with tight lies is superior to Heron/Pelican. Would you agree?
I did the math and it is amazing that any exec course is playable at all. You guys are great.
But why are some execs better then others if the same team is managing them all? I asked the starter that question today at Bogart. He didn't know.If you don't rake a trap it doesn't affect me, I'll lift, clean and place. If you make a ball mark and forget to fix it, I will.
The same team isn't doing maintenance on all the courses. There are now four different companies doing the job. They each have specific courses they are responsible for. There have been some companies whose contracts were not renewed because the courses did not meet the standards established. The new contractor will need some time to get the courses where they should be. Unfortunately, this is not the ideal season to grow bermuda, which is the base grass on all the courses.

The areas around the greens can be a challenge as that is where the most traffic occurs, including cart traffic from players with the RA sleeves. This is also the time of year when the courses get the most play. Perfect storm.

The Texas wedge is a good shot when the lie is thin and there is not obstruction between you and the hole.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:29 AM
Sage

I don't know what everybody is worried about. Heck, we're all chipping better than Tiger. [emoji39]
Old 02-06-2015, 06:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polar bear View Post
i don't know what everybody is worried about. Heck, we're all chipping better than tiger. [emoji39]
lol!
Old 02-10-2015, 11:01 AM

I don't mind a tight lie on grass. When the ball is sitting on well packed soil 10 yards from the green, NOW I don't like it.
Is ok though, because I pulled my cart along that little trail of well packed soil and sparse grass between the green and the cart path 20 yards from the green, and my putter is right here handy.
I do wish the rest of you would park on cart path though so I can use my wedge around the green.
I would suggest the course maintenance cut down more trees too in the areas around the greens to help grow more grass, but I play summers too, and I like parking in the shade...on top of these hard packed areas where they are having trouble growing grass.

I decided last week to start carrying a chipping mat anyway, who needs grass?
Old 02-10-2015, 11:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
I don't mind a tight lie on grass. When the ball is sitting on well packed soil 10 yards from the green, NOW I don't like it.
Is ok though, because I pulled my cart along that little trail of well packed soil and sparse grass between the green and the cart path 20 yards from the green, and my putter is right here handy.
I do wish the rest of you would park on cart path though so I can use my wedge around the green.
I would suggest the course maintenance cut down more trees too in the areas around the greens to help grow more grass, but I play summers too, and I like parking in the shade...on top of these hard packed areas where they are having trouble growing grass.

I decided last week to start carrying a chipping mat anyway, who needs grass?

Ya can't complain about the price, either.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Ya can't complain about the price, either.
Just wait, I bet the post is coming..................
Old 02-10-2015, 12:40 PM
Sage

I got a tip yesterday about locking my left wrist. I'm left handed. It helped a bit but I still want to get a chipper. I got a better chance with luck than skill.

I forgot that carts, with handicapped golfers drive close to the green. The course is very accommodating in that respect. It makes sense that everything is so flat and patted down.

I asked the starter at Bogart and he told me that the execs are all maintained by the same group. I'm thinking now, he got it wrong.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Just wait, I bet the post is coming..................

I know the one. AND I know who usually says it. We have to pay a four dollar trail fee. Those are the folks who never played golf until they got here.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:25 PM
Sage

It's funny you should mention that. I was thinking, do I really want to make the game easier in any way, shape or form so that more people play.

I don't want more people playing. I like flat lies now. The trail fees should be $8. [I'm sorry it took so long for me to catch on.]
Old 02-11-2015, 07:55 AM

Don't worry Tom.
There is no possible way.... more people could play.

lol, I made a rhyme. Might be an entire song by tomorrow, written while waiting 10 minutes to tee off ...at every hole.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
Don't worry Tom.
There is no possible way.... more people could play.

lol, I made a rhyme. Might be an entire song by tomorrow, written while waiting 10 minutes to tee off ...at every hole.
When I coached one of the kids showed me a good game to play while waiting to tee off. It's called knock out and keeps you loose.

You hit the ball with whatever club you will use to tee off with as a putter.
Player 1 starts at the nearest tee box marker [that little black ball with the stake]. He tries to putt it so it hits the other marker. If he hits it he goes again and aims at the first ball mark. If he hits it he aims at the opponents. If he hits the opponent they are out and he goes for the next opponent.

That's if he's best player I have ever seen.
Most times player 1 doesn't hit the other marker on the first stroke and then player 2 goes, than 3 and than 4. It's a little like shooting pool. Everyone goes in order and the game takes less than 5 minutes.

Kids being kids, sometimes they liked that game more than golf.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
When I coached one of the kids showed me a good game to play while waiting to tee off. It's called knock out and keeps you loose.

You hit the ball with whatever club you will use to tee off with as a putter.
Player 1 starts at the nearest tee box marker [that little black ball with the stake]. He tries to putt it so it hits the other marker. If he hits it he goes again and aims at the first ball mark. If he hits it he aims at the opponents. If he hits the opponent they are out and he goes for the next opponent.

That's if he's best player I have ever seen.
Most times player 1 doesn't hit the other marker on the first stroke and then player 2 goes, than 3 and than 4. It's a little like shooting pool. Everyone goes in order and the game takes less than 5 minutes.

Kids being kids, sometimes they liked that game more than golf.
I like sitting in the cart trying to convince my playing partner they can go ahead and hit because they aren't going to hit the green anyway. By the time the witty quips are over, the ambassador is there telling us to pick up the pace.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.