Executive Golf Course Sand Traps...

Closed Thread
Old 11-18-2014, 10:24 PM
Gold member
Default Then I guess if you're playing ready golf...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter123 View Post
I don't know about that. Everyone should be on the green or fringe first otherwise, it can be distracting and dangerous if you're not paying attention.
all should pay attention.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:32 PM
Gold member
Default Faster golf does not intersect...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
TheVillageChicken: You are right. What i filed to make clear is that the golf industry is on a campaign to speed up golf because they are losing people to this game. My point was to explain that there are things we can and should do but when all is said in done what does a golfer do when faster golf intersects with a player's quest for quality performance and an enjoyable round
with quality performance. Faster golf is being ready when it's your turn...not jibber jabbering when you should be moving or hitting....writing your score on the next tee...parking your cart nearest where you would exit the green to go to the next tee...not looking for golf balls....if you're first to hole out then you tend the pin....be ready and it will speed up play and be more enjoyable... if you go to a golf course to play golf and not just socialize...take no mulligans(no it really ISN'T a part of golf)...if you hit one in the water drop in the drop area...once you're done with a hole move off to the next tee as quick as you can...playing quickly doesn't hurt performance or fun...acting like it does will do so...

the only way to improve is to be able to understand what you're doing wrong and going to a golf range to work on your game.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:58 AM

Raking sand traps on executive course I see as a double edged sword.
I play pretty fast, and typically rake mine (and a couple other's) marks after getting out of the sand. There is a huge variety of skill sets playing these courses. Personally I would rather the 4some in front of me averaging 7 strokes a hole on par 3s , 3 holes behind the group in front of them by hole#4 and out for daily exercise with the wives.. NOT rake.
I follow the "executive rules" If I happen to be in someone's footprint, ( or the tire marks from the maintenance guys), I just improve my lie, hit and rake. Big whoop.
If you are betting, I would go with "executive rules" (agreed on prior to play) or play at a championship course, where you STILL might get stymied by a previous player's marks in the sand, or a rake mark, or an animal's print... it's golf, you are going to have bad lies. Improve it or play it.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
Raking sand traps on executive course I see as a double edged sword.
I play pretty fast, and typically rake mine (and a couple other's) marks after getting out of the sand. There is a huge variety of skill sets playing these courses. Personally I would rather the 4some in front of me averaging 7 strokes a hole on par 3s , 3 holes behind the group in front of them by hole#4 and out for daily exercise with the wives.. NOT rake.
I follow the "executive rules" If I happen to be in someone's footprint, ( or the tire marks from the maintenance guys), I just improve my lie, hit and rake. Big whoop.
If you are betting, I would go with "executive rules" (agreed on prior to play) or play at a championship course, where you STILL might get stymied by a previous player's marks in the sand, or a rake mark, or an animal's print... it's golf, you are going to have bad lies. Improve it or play it.
That's exactly as I see sand trap trappings too. If I was king these would be my executive rules?

Given--executive course golf is not truly golf, so let's make it fast and a learning experience until the player is ready to play all the USGA rules, not just the handful they think they understand
It's like playing flag football or half court basketball.

Rule 1
If you don't reach the drop zone----pick the ball up and carry it to the drop zone. You can tee it up a half inch in the drop zone too because the drop zones are usually flattened out, making that shot one of the most difficult shots you will encounter.

Rule 2
You get 2 chances to get it out of the sand and if it doesn't land on the green you get a free lift from anywhere. Please rake or ask a pal if it will slow everyone down.

Rule 3 Unless both golfers are handicapped take turns walking the par threes.

Rule 4 Keep track of how many greens you hit in regulation. If you hit 5 or more and play from the gold move back. If you hit less then 3, move up. Keep track of your putts. These 2 numbers will show your improvement.

I use to coach and came up with "The Six Iron Theory" for beginners and experienced golfers alike, and especially me when the wheels fall off.

Just hit a six iron [or less] until you can hit is consistently. When you are a beginner adjusting for the length and loft of the club and where the ball is placed is too much to absorb. Walk before you run. This will build confidence because you will hit it at least 7 times.

[I'm thinking about allowing a second hit off the tee if it doesn't reach the drop zone. An extra hit doesn't add much time if you have an extra ball in your pocket and you pick up the first ball quickly. These rules are to help golfers improve their swing and consequently their game. What do you experienced golfers think?]
Old 12-05-2014, 01:05 PM
Sage
Default Executive Golf Course Sand Traps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
...Given--executive course golf is not truly golf...

I know what you mean, but can't agree with the way you've stated it. I play lots of championship courses. But I also play executives a lot. I see it as more of an opportunity to fit a little golf into an hour-and-a-half.

Any executive golf hole could be found on a championship course. Just not vice-versa.

And by the way, I think your executive rules for beginners are excellent!
Old 12-05-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithreeputtoo View Post
I also believe ALL golfers should have to attend the Good Golf School before they can play on the executive golf courses. No school, no tee time. I also wish the ambassadors had the power to give warnings when they see someone not rake the sand trap. And then there is always the slow play issues which just seem to get worse.
As for the ambassadors,, they don't do much of anything beside give out water or sand, or perhaps I should say they aren't allowed to do anything else. I have never seen them tell someone to play a faster pace when they are 2 holes behind. Also, when signs are out (approaching the green) that have arrows directing you back to the golf path, MEANING DO NOT PROCEED FORWARD.... people just ignore them, and the ambassadors don't say a word. They think they can practically drive onto the edge of the green. I live on Sand hill across from one of the greens and they drive past the signs, and even past the rope and weave their way around to park on the very edge of the green. Talk about no etiquette. They think that handicapped sign means they don't have to follow any rules. Oh, by the way, I AM handicapped and I follow the rules. Of course these kind of people probably don't read TOTV to learn about etiquette. Oh well....what are you gonna do about it? For sure the ambassadors won't do a thing.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
That's exactly as I see sand trap trappings too. If I was king these would be my executive rules?

Given--executive course golf is not truly golf, so let's make it fast and a learning experience until the player is ready to play all the USGA rules, not just the handful they think they understand
It's like playing flag football or half court basketball.

Rule 1
If you don't reach the drop zone----pick the ball up and carry it to the drop zone. You can tee it up a half inch in the drop zone too because the drop zones are usually flattened out, making that shot one of the most difficult shots you will encounter.

Rule 2
You get 2 chances to get it out of the sand and if it doesn't land on the green you get a free lift from anywhere. Please rake or ask a pal if it will slow everyone down.

Rule 3 Unless both golfers are handicapped take turns walking the par threes.

Rule 4 Keep track of how many greens you hit in regulation. If you hit 5 or more and play from the gold move back. If you hit less then 3, move up. Keep track of your putts. These 2 numbers will show your improvement.

I use to coach and came up with "The Six Iron Theory" for beginners and experienced golfers alike, and especially me when the wheels fall off.

Just hit a six iron [or less] until you can hit is consistently. When you are a beginner adjusting for the length and loft of the club and where the ball is placed is too much to absorb. Walk before you run. This will build confidence because you will hit it at least 7 times.

[I'm thinking about allowing a second hit off the tee if it doesn't reach the drop zone. An extra hit doesn't add much time if you have an extra ball in your pocket and you pick up the first ball quickly. These rules are to help golfers improve their swing and consequently their game. What do you experienced golfers think?]
Great ideas! I especially like the Six Iron Theory. When I move down there, I may give that a try until I get my game in shape. (It needs a lot of "shaping"!)
Old 12-05-2014, 04:13 PM

Ask any Ambassador , they will more then happy to fill your sand bottle
Old 12-06-2014, 05:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckySevens View Post
As for the ambassadors,, they don't do much of anything beside give out water or sand, or perhaps I should say they aren't allowed to do anything else. I have never seen them tell someone to play a faster pace when they are 2 holes behind. Also, when signs are out (approaching the green) that have arrows directing you back to the golf path, MEANING DO NOT PROCEED FORWARD.... people just ignore them, and the ambassadors don't say a word. They think they can practically drive onto the edge of the green. I live on Sand hill across from one of the greens and they drive past the signs, and even past the rope and weave their way around to park on the very edge of the green. Talk about no etiquette. They think that handicapped sign means they don't have to follow any rules. Oh, by the way, I AM handicapped and I follow the rules. Of course these kind of people probably don't read TOTV to learn about etiquette. Oh well....what are you gonna do about it? For sure the ambassadors won't do a thing.
Mostly incorrect. Ambassadors absolutely can correct slow play issues. I've done it quite a few times. But sometimes, the issue is not with the players, but rather the course or conditions. RA tag owners may drive up to 15' from the green, unless there are restrictions in place on the course to prevent damage.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertj1954 View Post
Biggest gripes covered well. It all comes down to common courtesy and good golf etiquette. I think all new residents should attend good golf school as a prerequisite for obtaining their trail pass for executive golf courses.
Also pass driver test. If they can't hit driver (woods) 100 yards then limited to putt putt course. Or make some new short courses with 125 yard par 5s. IMO ridiculous if you have to hit driver on 126 yard par 3 and still come up 40 yards short.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:57 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default Sand traps

The ambassadors also carry sand and can fill your bottle during your round.

Also, make a habit of fixing your ball mark on the green and 2 more near yours. If anyone did this, our greens would be better for all and doesn't slow down play.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:09 PM
Gold member
Default Probably why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc Moser View Post
Also pass driver test. If they can't hit driver (woods) 100 yards then limited to putt putt course. Or make some new short courses with 125 yard par 5s. IMO ridiculous if you have to hit driver on 126 yard par 3 and still come up 40 yards short.
you're not in charge. With so many people physically unable to do what you suggest it would be unfair for them to just putt. Suppose I tell you that you can't play unless you score as well as I do...you likely wouldn't be playing at all
Old 12-08-2014, 12:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Wow glad I found out who in charge. I was being sarcastic? Natural there not going to test.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.