Executive Trail Fees - Why?

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-27-2020, 08:30 PM
UpNorth UpNorth is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The cold Northeast
Posts: 425
Thanks: 5
Thanked 276 Times in 87 Posts
Default Executive Trail Fees - Why?

Just curious, since I walk the executive courses and have never paid the "Trail Fee" that enables one to drive their carts on the paved paths. I understand that the fee is somewhere around $140 per cart, per year. Does anyone know exactly where this fee goes and what it is supposed to do? In all the years I have been in The Villages, I've never seen a Executive cart path in need of repair, replacement or maintenance. We don't have "frost heaves" or wash-outs that damage paths in northern courses. So where does all this "trail fee" money go? Just curious.
  #2  
Old 03-27-2020, 09:18 PM
DonH57's Avatar
DonH57 DonH57 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Village Santo Domingo.
Posts: 3,365
Thanks: 0
Thanked 224 Times in 105 Posts
Send a message via AIM to DonH57
Default

Actually cart paths do have to be repaired at certain points. I know Hilltop and Silver Lake had some work done. I can't recall others I know were worked on and there are some that should definately be reworked. I normally pay the yearly fee and last calculation I checked had I not I would have forked over 300 other wise for all the play I did. I personally would prefer to walk them but my knees,back, and hips are shot.
  #3  
Old 03-27-2020, 09:20 PM
DonH57's Avatar
DonH57 DonH57 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Village Santo Domingo.
Posts: 3,365
Thanks: 0
Thanked 224 Times in 105 Posts
Send a message via AIM to DonH57
Default

I forgot to add that villages golf folk would be the best ones to ask.
  #4  
Old 03-28-2020, 12:48 PM
Marathon Man Marathon Man is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,659
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1,375 Times in 505 Posts
Default

Would the trail fees only be used for the cart paths? Why not buy sand with it, too? That's ok with me.
  #5  
Old 03-28-2020, 02:31 PM
Mleeja's Avatar
Mleeja Mleeja is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Santiago
Posts: 1,612
Thanks: 2
Thanked 411 Times in 152 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
Just curious, since I walk the executive courses and have never paid the "Trail Fee" that enables one to drive their carts on the paved paths. I understand that the fee is somewhere around $140 per cart, per year. Does anyone know exactly where this fee goes and what it is supposed to do? In all the years I have been in The Villages, I've never seen a Executive cart path in need of repair, replacement or maintenance. We don't have "frost heaves" or wash-outs that damage paths in northern courses. So where does all this "trail fee" money go? Just curious.
Since you walk, why do you care? When walking do you walk on the cart paths? By the way, the fee is per household.
__________________
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
  #6  
Old 03-28-2020, 03:49 PM
asianthree's Avatar
asianthree asianthree is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pennacamp, Fernandinia 2 Frogs
Posts: 7,128
Thanks: 18
Thanked 1,076 Times in 410 Posts
Default

It’s not per cart. It’s per residence.
__________________
Do not worry about things you can not change
  #7  
Old 03-29-2020, 01:34 AM
UpNorth UpNorth is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The cold Northeast
Posts: 425
Thanks: 5
Thanked 276 Times in 87 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
Since you walk, why do you care? When walking do you walk on the cart paths? By the way, the fee is per household.
As stated, just curious. I don't care. And why would I need to walk on the cart paths anyway? It just seems like a lot of money donated for what? Do you care?
  #8  
Old 03-31-2020, 10:00 PM
Topspinmo's Avatar
Topspinmo Topspinmo is online now
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Oregon Mo. St Joesph mo, ft worth tx, Omaha neb., upper heyford UK, Clovis NM, OKC.
Posts: 7,805
Thanks: 3,570
Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,107 Posts
Default

I imagine it helps pay for starters, ambassadors, supplies. Think of all the pencils and score cards, maintenance.
  #9  
Old 04-01-2020, 02:07 AM
asianthree's Avatar
asianthree asianthree is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pennacamp, Fernandinia 2 Frogs
Posts: 7,128
Thanks: 18
Thanked 1,076 Times in 410 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
As stated, just curious. I don't care. And why would I need to walk on the cart paths anyway? It just seems like a lot of money donated for what? Do you care?
during rainy weather, or after the storms from the hurricanes, it’s cart path only. If there is no path, there lies the problem.
There are many who enjoy playing golf, but due to health, can’t walk a path as you do. I am confused as to why it concerns you on how people allocate how they spend their money.

I run every morning, and I still have to pay for taxes on the roads.
__________________
Do not worry about things you can not change
  #10  
Old 04-01-2020, 04:11 AM
GolfGirl122 GolfGirl122 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Village of Collier
Posts: 101
Thanks: 48
Thanked 53 Times in 16 Posts
Default

I think most golf courses charge a trail fee of sorts if you use your own cart. The use of carts, a privilege, creates wear and tear on the courses. The trail fee is charged to help offset those costs. I think the fee is reasonable and I walk sometimes as well.
  #11  
Old 04-01-2020, 04:20 AM
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 39,375
Thanks: 4,172
Thanked 4,653 Times in 1,591 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
Just curious, since I walk the executive courses and have never paid the "Trail Fee" that enables one to drive their carts on the paved paths. I understand that the fee is somewhere around $140 per cart, per year. Does anyone know exactly where this fee goes and what it is supposed to do? In all the years I have been in The Villages, I've never seen a Executive cart path in need of repair, replacement or maintenance. We don't have "frost heaves" or wash-outs that damage paths in northern courses. So where does all this "trail fee" money go? Just curious.
Remember that golf is free now on the executive courses if you walk, but golf is not without cost to someone. Someone is paying the grass cutters, the people who fertilize, the folks who work the shed and man the ambassador carts. Nothing is free. Anything can change and it will soon due to the awful economic repercussions of this global virus.
  #12  
Old 04-01-2020, 05:17 AM
Mosells Mosells is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 104
Thanks: 7
Thanked 47 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Bingo poster # 10
  #13  
Old 04-01-2020, 08:23 PM
UpNorth UpNorth is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The cold Northeast
Posts: 425
Thanks: 5
Thanked 276 Times in 87 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfGirl122 View Post
I think most golf courses charge a trail fee of sorts if you use your own cart. The use of carts, a privilege, creates wear and tear on the courses. The trail fee is charged to help offset those costs. I think the fee is reasonable and I walk sometimes as well.
Never seen where golf carts riding on paved paths create "wear and tear" on the golf course itself. Neither have I ever seen much in the way of wear and tear on these paths either. So apparently these "trail fees" are being used for something else. If just half the households (50,000 units) pay the $140 yearly fee, that's 7 million bucks. Sorry - I don't see 7 million dollars of cart path work being done each year on the exec courses.
  #14  
Old 04-02-2020, 05:50 AM
OrangeBlossomBaby OrangeBlossomBaby is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,645
Thanks: 3,468
Thanked 4,635 Times in 1,429 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
Never seen where golf carts riding on paved paths create "wear and tear" on the golf course itself. Neither have I ever seen much in the way of wear and tear on these paths either. So apparently these "trail fees" are being used for something else. If just half the households (50,000 units) pay the $140 yearly fee, that's 7 million bucks. Sorry - I don't see 7 million dollars of cart path work being done each year on the exec courses.
There are around 100,000 PEOPLE living in the Villages.
There are only around 50,000 HOUSEHOLDS.

Only around 2/3 of them are occupied year-round, and several households are occupied by people who don't play golf at all. Some members don't play golf regularly enough to warrant paying the yearly fee, and instead pay as they go, per trip (which I believe is $2 per person? Someone who plays the exec courses will correct me but it's beside the point). And some people walk the course, thus not having to pay the trail fee at all, ever.

Given that some of them are members of the country clubs, thus not having to pay that $140/year in trail fees at all (since country club membership waives that) -

do a little creative mathematics:

There's maybe 15,000 households that are actually paying that yearly trail fee.

So that comes to around $2,100,000. That covers the upkeep of the paths, throughout over 30 square miles of golf courses, every year.
  #15  
Old 04-02-2020, 07:52 AM
DonH57's Avatar
DonH57 DonH57 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Village Santo Domingo.
Posts: 3,365
Thanks: 0
Thanked 224 Times in 105 Posts
Send a message via AIM to DonH57
Default

The other way I've seen the money spent is where some golfers, for whatever reason, instead of driving slowly through a puddle on the path drive around it, in the mud and creating ruts and getting mud on their carts. The ruts get worse until the grass dies and needs to be resodded.
Closed Thread

Tags
fee, trail, executive, cart, paths

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 PM.