Extending a Six Month Priority Golf Membership to a Year

Closed Thread
Old 04-10-2020, 05:09 PM
Default Extending a Six Month Priority Golf Membership to a Year

My wife and I are Snowbirds (sorry). We own a Villa in Amelia and for 6 years we have paid for the 6-month Golf Priority membership (6-months = $792, Annual = $990, for a couple). I thought perhaps I could extend the 6-mth membership to a year membership by paying the difference of ~$200 as we are not able to travel under the circumstances: Covid19.

I spoke with a nice woman, “Sue”, at the Golf and Tennis Admin to inquire whether we could extend our 6 month membership to a year and pay the difference of $200 in consideration of our plight…Sue told me that the only option I have is to pay for another 6 months ($792) that I cannot extend my 6 month membership to a year. (under normal circumstances I can understand this…).

I asked to speak to her supervisor to see if an exception could be made and was told that her manager, “Kala”, was busy and would call me back. I haven’t heard back yet as I am sure Kala is rather busy…. My feeling is that with the unprecedented situation we find ourselves in there might be some accommodations made by The Villages to allow for a one-time extension. We will see when “Kala” returns my call.

Am I being unreasonable in asking for an extension for the $200 difference rather than having to pay another $800 for the next 6 months??? (Had I known last fall that I’d be here this summer due to the pandemic I would have gladly paid the annual fee).

I appreciate any feedback, I don’t mean to be a complainer or rabble-rouser…
Old 04-10-2020, 06:01 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgsJr View Post
My wife and I are Snowbirds (sorry). We own a Villa in Amelia and for 6 years we have paid for the 6-month Golf Priority membership (6-months = $792, Annual = $990, for a couple). I thought perhaps I could extend the 6-mth membership to a year membership by paying the difference of ~$200 as we are not able to travel under the circumstances: Covid19.

I spoke with a nice woman, “Sue”, at the Golf and Tennis Admin to inquire whether we could extend our 6 month membership to a year and pay the difference of $200 in consideration of our plight…Sue told me that the only option I have is to pay for another 6 months ($792) that I cannot extend my 6 month membership to a year. (under normal circumstances I can understand this…).

I asked to speak to her supervisor to see if an exception could be made and was told that her manager, “Kala”, was busy and would call me back. I haven’t heard back yet as I am sure Kala is rather busy…. My feeling is that with the unprecedented situation we find ourselves in there might be some accommodations made by The Villages to allow for a one-time extension. We will see when “Kala” returns my call.

Am I being unreasonable in asking for an extension for the $200 difference rather than having to pay another $800 for the next 6 months??? (Had I known last fall that I’d be here this summer due to the pandemic I would have gladly paid the annual fee).

Your idea makes sense. Keep bugging them until Kala talks with you. The next time they say Kala is busy, tell them you’ll wait or ask to be connected to Kala’s superior. Everyone has a boss. Be nice but be firm.

Last edited by DianeM; 04-10-2020 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-10-2020, 06:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

I agree. It would be a nice policy to allow you to add on those six months. Now I say this believing your initial six months have not expired. I suppose they can point to some fine print somewhere about how you must decide on the initial purchase whether you want 6 or 12. If so you might be turned down. But it would be nice if they gave you a break.
By the way, I like snowbirds so don't apologize for being one.
You might want to calculate your savings if you are only going to be stuck here perhaps 4 to six more weeks. And there is the small possibility that golf will be shut down. If it is, no asking for your $200 back, right?
Old 04-10-2020, 06:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:

Why don't you gladly pay for one year, then you'll be set for next winter.
Old 04-10-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:

Why are you sorry about being a "snowbird" ? It s a fact of life in the Villages...
Old 04-10-2020, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
It may come across to some as a snarky comment, but it makes perfect sense, and not a dime extra.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom53 View Post
It may come across to some as a snarky comment, but it makes perfect sense, and not a dime extra.
Just seemed like a logical solution to me.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
That is a terrific solution. Works out to same $’s over the same period.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom53 View Post
Not me.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:28 AM

Assuming you bought 11/01/2019 thru 04/30/2020 as an example date
$792 - paid on 11/01/2019 (6 months)
$990 - pay on 05/01/2020 (12 months - to pay thru 04/30/2021
$792 - pay on 11/01/2021 (6 months - going back to 6 months again)

Now look, you only paid $198 more for the additional 6 months.
Old 04-11-2020, 06:07 AM
Default Priority Golf

As One gentleman said, it is just easier to start your oen year priority member ship at the end of your six months as I did. Mine membership use to expire early May ut I played all May, Most of June & then came back in October for the season. I found I saved more money doing it this way even when I did not use in for three months.

Quote:

Old 04-11-2020, 06:24 AM
Default Same difference

Pay for the next year. It’s the same amount of money as extending last year’s membership.

And, even under your other scenario are you even saving money if you are here another month or two ?
Old 04-11-2020, 06:34 AM
Default 6

Why don’t you just go to the office. You will be surprised at the service you get face to face
Old 04-11-2020, 06:50 AM

I think your request is more than reasonable.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:01 AM

First, yes I think your request is not unreasonable. Now is the time for everyone to make reasonable accommodations. Second, don’t ever be ‘sorry’ for being a snowbird. My husband and I live here year round and are thankful for all the snowbirds who pay the same fees year round and make it possible for all of our fees to be low - plus, for at least 6-9 months of the year we have great access to all amenities. I love snowbirds!
Closed Thread

Tags
membership, year, pay, extend, difference

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.