Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
It's not only the thought that counts - but in your case, the effort. [emoji41]

Thanks.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

If I create a ball mark I take a picture of it and then repair it. It's the closest I come to a hole in one.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2017, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Good Joke
Old 05-07-2017, 02:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
After 13 years in TV I can ONLY conclude, far too many must believe fixing ball marks, filling in divots and raking sand in bunkers...IS SOMEBODY ELSES JOB!!!

What other possible explanation can there possibly be.....I could mention a couple more reasons but then I would have to ignore being polite!!
Just watched John Daly hit his second shot on #10. The next thing he did was grab a sand bottle off a cart. Good luck today John.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:12 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,103 Times in 1,336 Posts

It is great exercise
Old 05-08-2017, 07:40 AM

Bang on. I find myself fixing 3-4 ball marks on every green. I understand why it's important. It may be that some can't bend over to fix them. That's why they have those little rubber gadgets attached to their putter to pick up their balls off the green.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:08 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,305 Times in 540 Posts
Default Divots

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Just watched John Daly hit his second shot on #10. The next thing he did was grab a sand bottle off a cart. Good luck today John.
Yes, fix divots too! BTW, John Daly won his first Champions Tournment yesterday. You talk about a golfing character---he tops the list!
Old 05-08-2017, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Over the years, I have accumulated a lot of metal divot tools that some golf courses give out free.

I have probably given away about a dozen of them in the last 6 years here, when I mention to someone about repairing their pitch marks and they give a lame excuse about not having a divot tool with them.

After explaining that I know they have tees on them and that they can also be used (if properly trained) to repair pitch marks...I'll then give them a divot tool so they no longer have an excuse.

I'm sure a lot of them probably only used it while playing with me and still don't bother to do the right thing, but hey...at least I gave it a shot.
I worked at a golf course where I convinced the board of directors to foot the bill for inexpensive ball mark tools that we handed out on the first tee. If nothing else, it took away people's excuses and raised awareness of the problem.

The problem did get better, but we had to run an awareness campaign once or twice a year as the members lapse into not caring.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGolf View Post
Bang on. I find myself fixing 3-4 ball marks on every green. I understand why it's important. It may be that some can't bend over to fix them. That's why they have those little rubber gadgets attached to their putter to pick up their balls off the green.
I played with a guy that had a ball mark repair tool attached to the end of his putter, as well as a suction cup--he just kept them in a pocket and switched them out when needed---so it IS doable for everyone
Old 05-08-2017, 09:55 AM

Wish I could make some of my own to fix.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:33 PM

I can see where folks find a delay in play if they stop to fix ball marks.
I can say with 100% certainty that I have NEVER been admonished for fixing YOUR ball marks, picking up YOUR disgusting stogies/ciggy butts, power bar papers and the errant beer can. Why is it that here in The Villages, some folks are too full of themselves to bend down and PICK UP AFTER THEMSELVES???
Heaven knows most would bend over for the quarter on the ground.
Fix your messes.
You would punish your grandkids for less!
Old 05-14-2017, 11:19 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsroni View Post
I can see where folks find a delay in play if they stop to fix ball marks.
I can say with 100% certainty that I have NEVER been admonished for fixing YOUR ball marks, picking up YOUR disgusting stogies/ciggy butts, power bar papers and the errant beer can. Why is it that here in The Villages, some folks are too full of themselves to bend down and PICK UP AFTER THEMSELVES???
Heaven knows most would bend over for the quarter on the ground.
Fix your messes.
You would punish your grandkids for less!
Wherever you go to live you can bet there will always be those who think they are entitled, spoiled, and feel privileged.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:47 AM

How about picking up your broken tees. I come up to some tee boxes and see a half dozen broken tees. Buy some Martini tees (but not the green ones) I love finding them.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberschaf View Post
How about picking up your broken tees. I come up to some tee boxes and see a half dozen broken tees. Buy some Martini tees (but not the green ones) I love finding them.
Oh no! Especially on executive courses I count on finding broken tees.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:37 AM
Default Mistakes in repairing divots!

One of the major problems is most people from north of the Mason-Dixon Line have played on Bent grass greens. They were taught how to repair ball marks on Bent grass greens!

BUT if you repair Bermuda greens like you do Bent grass you actuall kill the grass. This is where most of the brown spots on our greens come from!

Bent grass roots grow horizontal while Bermuda grass grow Verticals and therefore have deep roots.

If you will use your divot tool and move the surrounding grass towards the mark all the way around the divot you have done it right.

If you put your tool in under the divot and pop it back up you kill the Bermuda grass.

Please stop KILLING our Bermuda grass...be nice to our tuff!

FYI...many starter shacks have a small handout on the proper way to repair divots.

Closed Thread

Tags
fix, greens, ball, marks, heads

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.