Give me a break, Mr. Ambassador!

Closed Thread
Old 08-11-2016, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
Completely agree. TV staff members, also our neighbors, deserve respect and kindness. As far as ambassadors go, it can't be easy being in the heat all day. We are blessed, indeed.
Amen.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Smile Silly Time

These Ambassadors are not to have any independent thoughts, are to remain thoughtless and follow a simple set of silly rules which do not improve the image of the courses. From experience I can confirm, given their instructions and directions none that I have met would qualify to be an Ambassador or "Ranger" at one of the significant private or well known public courses in the US. If a player feels embarrassed, upset, or disappointed because of something an Ambassador has said or done that Ambassador would be fired at a famous private or well known public course. There is no excuse to treat a "guest" in that manner. NO EXCUSE is the key word. The rule would be that the offense must be so significant as to deny the player rights to the course to justify abusing them in any fashion.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:18 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Yesterday, I only got one pickle on my cheeseburger and the ambassador did not apologize. Shocking.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:45 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

OP, Perhaps it was the ""tone of the ambassador's voice" or maybe you usually don't park the cart off the path and you were a bit upset at yourself---don't know as I wasn't there.

I do know this. Too many golfers are very careless about parking their carts off the cart path. You may not be one of them but any of us could accidentally (in a hurry in the heat) do this. Just look at any course around the tee boxes and you will see what I'm talking about. "Grin and bare it" and go forward. The heat this time of the year can make us all a little on edge when play is unusually slow. Have a nice day.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

While acknowledgement of the condition would have been nice, what I really would have expected from an ambassador would be to get the people in front of me moving. It seems that these ambassadors have been told to not talk to anyone about their pace of play. That is a policy that's designed not to make anyone angry. The problem is that while their not ticking off the people playing slow, the people behind them are all ticked off.

I worked at a club in Sarasota where a slow group was given two warnings. If they did not catch up after the second warning, the rangers were instructed to wait until they teed off on a hole and ten pick up their balls and place them on the next tee.

The slow group was unhappy, but the rest of the players on the course were thrilled. Everyone was informed of this policy before they teed off so when it happened it was expected. People still came in and complained, but having four people complain was much better then having 150 complain.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:57 AM
Eternal Member

It seems funny to read someone wants an apology for the bad course condition while their cart wheels are on the grass.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Honestly, I am so grateful that God has given me another opportunity to play a round of golf that I do not even noticed the conditions of the course - thank you Lord
Good thought Rubicon! We are all blessed.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
From experience I can confirm, given their instructions and directions none that I have met would qualify to be an Ambassador or "Ranger" at one of the significant private or well known public courses in the US.
That's a very interesting comment. When I first came here, I applied for a job as an ambassador. If you don't know, I am a retired PGA professional with over 35 years experience in the golf industry.
Among many other things, I've been the head professional at three different clubs. One a resort, one a public course and one a private club.
I have hired rangers and starters as well as assistant pros and other personnel.
I worked as a ranger and a starter when I was an PGA apprentice.
I was turned down for the job as ranger. I was told that I was not qualified.
The only thing that I could think of was that they have their own way of doing things and they don't want anyone with any kind of experience doing things their own way.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:42 PM
Gold member

Really, you don't know why you are charged $4'for a trail fee? Maintence come
to mind?
Old 08-11-2016, 06:34 PM
Sage

Last edited by Barefoot; 08-11-2016 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
That's a very interesting comment. When I first came here, I applied for a job as an ambassador. If you don't know, I am a retired PGA professional with over 35 years experience in the golf industry.

Among many other things, I've been the head professional at three different clubs. One a resort, one a public course and one a private club.

I have hired rangers and starters as well as assistant pros and other personnel.

I worked as a ranger and a starter when I was an PGA apprentice.

I was turned down for the job as ranger. I was told that I was not qualified.

The only thing that I could think of was that they have their own way of doing things and they don't want anyone with any kind of experience doing things their own way.

Doc - there are two things that come to my mind:
1) you are seriously over qualified - but that should not be a deal breaker.
2) we don't have Rangers; we have ambassadors. And it's possible you might actually say something that relates to the rules of the game.

I'm not demeaning our ambassadors at all. They do their jobs well, but they are not Rangers and your experience far exceeds what GMS wants or are looking for.

Best regards,

DB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tags
shot, slow, ambassador, play, admonishes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.