glenview greens (or browns)

Closed Thread
Old 02-15-2019, 04:57 PM
Default glenview greens (or browns)

8:00 tee time today. Got stuck behind greens crews: spraying, sanding, dragging, spraying again on the 5th hole. Followed them around the balance of the front nine - mostly putting on MUD. Does anyone know what's up? Clubhouse suggested maybe a fungus problem. Hard to find someone willing to find an answer and not a one willing to say something like 'sorry, we're having a bad day here". Disappointing.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Country Club Administration 352-753-3396 1000 Main St. Suite 24
Old 02-16-2019, 08:57 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twopjt View Post
8:00 tee time today. Got stuck behind greens crews: spraying, sanding, dragging, spraying again on the 5th hole. Followed them around the balance of the front nine - mostly putting on MUD. Does anyone know what's up? Clubhouse suggested maybe a fungus problem. Hard to find someone willing to find an answer and not a one willing to say something like 'sorry, we're having a bad day here". Disappointing.
Same thing at Lopez (Erin Glen) yesterday just after noon; there were two workers hand spreading something on the second green that looked like sand, and not paying any attention to approaching golfers. They should at least look up or get out of the way when golfers are hitting their approach shots. I guess I'm cranky, but feel that I'm paying a lot of money to play these courses, and shouldn't be worried about hitting workers on the course.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:39 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
Same thing at Lopez (Erin Glen) yesterday just after noon; there were two workers hand spreading something on the second green that looked like sand, and not paying any attention to approaching golfers. They should at least look up or get out of the way when golfers are hitting their approach shots. I guess I'm cranky, but feel that I'm paying a lot of money to play these courses, and shouldn't be worried about hitting workers on the course.
So true. For the cost you pay they shouldn't be working at all unless an emergency.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:13 PM

How much does it cost this time of year?
Old 02-17-2019, 01:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

When I see maintenance and grass cutting during peak play times, it does not speak well (for me) about the management of the course.
Priorities are wrong!!!
Old 02-17-2019, 02:51 PM
Sage

When would you have them do maintenance? In the dark? There’s only so much daylight available and they typically don’t close any courses for maintenance this time of year. Sure, the workers should be aware of players on the course, but . . . .
Old 02-17-2019, 05:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

It's impossible not to do some maintenance during playing hours, but main gripe here is when someone like the person running the Sand-Pro (raking bunkers) is going in order of the holes, thereby often staying/interfering with one group...for a number of holes in a row.

Right after high school graduation I worked on a private golf course, which was actually a dozen years before I even started playing.

The one thing our big, quick-tempered Irishman superintendent hammered into us was to be as unobtrusive as possible...to the members playing.

His face would become purple if he found you running your machine anywhere near someone making a shot...or especially while they were putting.

His other mandate was if you weren't running the green and/or tee mowers and were doing other work (bunkers/weed whacking/cutting grass around bunkers/sprinkler checking/etc,), was to ALWAYS work from 18 backward...so you only bothered a particular group once.

I too blame the supervision, or more accurately the lack thereof...for a lot of the problems in the maintenance crews here.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena0904 View Post
How much does it cost this time of year?
https://golfthevillages.com/images/T...Golf-Rates.pdf
Old 02-18-2019, 07:40 AM

Over-play. Close each course on a rotational schedule except they only do that in the summer. Courses stay great then....of course.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:45 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
When would you have them do maintenance? In the dark? There’s only so much daylight available and they typically don’t close any courses for maintenance this time of year. Sure, the workers should be aware of players on the course, but . . . .
I don't really care when they do course maintenance, but when I'm standing in the fairway, 100 yards from the center of the green with a wedge in my hand, and two maintenance workers are spreading something on the green thirty feet behind the pin (and not even looking up), should I go ahead and hit? I think I'd be considered negligent if I hit one of them, even if they had no business ignoring players.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
Many golf courses that I've worked at had lights on the mowers so that the first few greens could get mowed in the dark. Two to three mowers would be sent forty five minutes or so before sunrise. The first three greens would be done before play started.

Fairways would be cut in the evening following play.We would have days when the last start time would be and hour or so before sunset.

As far as topdressing while play is going on, that should never happen. The course should be closed for a day for topdressing. Of course that would mean losing green fees for that day.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,930 Times in 2,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgilcreast View Post
Over-play. Close each course on a rotational schedule except they only do that in the summer. Courses stay great then....of course.
The over-play is getting worse since they are building houses like crazy buy have not added a single hole of championship golf. That is the only problem I have with the new development going on.
Closed Thread

Tags
find, spraying, greens, hard, problem

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.