Golf Ambassadors

Closed Thread
Old 11-02-2015, 09:05 PM
Gold member
Default First off you should mention...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadie44 View Post
Overall, the golf ambassadors do a nice job being "Village Ambassadors" which are no more than being glorified waterboys. There is no one on the courses making sure that the pace of play is adequate, people aren't dragging their spikes on the greens, raking traps etc. Today, we had to quit after 4 holes took 1hr 15 min. That means it would have taken us almost 3 hours to finish when we should be done in half that.

The foursome in front of us were playing off the gold tees and really needed to be playing the green tees, especially the 2 women in the group. They were not playing ready golf, taking up to 10 strokes on a hole and looking for their balls in the water instead of picking up. By the third hole, there were already 2 holes open in front of them. When I casually mentioned to the ambassador that the pace was too slow, he said it's slow all over and it's a nice day anyway.

Tee times are spaced 9 minutes apart and pace of play needs to be around 9 minutes or everyone behind a slow group suffers. I really like the ambassadors but they need to be given authority to tell people to pick up the pace, rake a trap or follow whatever rules the wonderful game of golf follows.

By the way, we're pretty decent golfers and were playing the golds because of the wind!!
that you're playing an executive course and you're right we are glorified water boys, but some of us are more proactive than others...still there are a limited number of things we can do to speed up groups like that...we can't kick them off unless they're belligerent so if you ask them to speed up and they're all 80+ years of age and can't move any faster what can you do? There should not have been two holes open and many a time a player said that to me it just wasn't even close to being true. Does that make you a liar? Nope...you're just wound a bit too tight. While I hate the saying "it is what it is" it is appropriate and if you have a gripe stop whining here and complain to GMS or the championship course that the exec belongs.

Since you don't happen on this type of slow play all the time I'd reign in your indignant attitude and realize that the rules of golf do not strictly apply at courses where the USGA has no say. If you want faster play then head on over to the championship courses where the people who play for fun and socializing rarely spend any time. You'll still find folks hitting from the wrong tees, but the ambassadors will keep it moving.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:11 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred53 View Post
that you're playing an executive course and you're right we are glorified water boys, but some of us are more proactive than others...still there are a limited number of things we can do to speed up groups like that...we can't kick them off unless they're belligerent so if you ask them to speed up and they're all 80+ years of age and can't move any faster what can you do? There should not have been two holes open and many a time a player said that to me it just wasn't even close to being true. Does that make you a liar? Nope...you're just wound a bit too tight. While I hate the saying "it is what it is" it is appropriate and if you have a gripe stop whining here and complain to GMS or the championship course that the exec belongs.

Since you don't happen on this type of slow play all the time I'd reign in your indignant attitude and realize that the rules of golf do not strictly apply at courses where the USGA has no say. If you want faster play then head on over to the championship courses where the people who play for fun and socializing rarely spend any time. You'll still find folks hitting from the wrong tees, but the ambassadors will keep it moving.
Right from the horse's mouth. Thank you Fred.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:42 AM
Email Reported As Spam

So I hear many posters saying that because its free golf what do you expect. I hear posters say what you can you expect when people are old and feeble.

What nonsense and what a waste of amenities fees if the golf Administration won't take their responsibilities seriously. Perhaps there are a few cases of golfers who can't keep up but I have played with so called 80 year olds that had me running to play catch up with them, disabled ones too.

I am sick of hearing that people are playing from the wrong tees. That is not the major issue. its the manner in which they play such as their trance like address of standing over the ball until the cows come home . or of not picking up at least by the sixth stroke. I will not play more than four strokes on a executive course sometimes less and I don't take mulligans. if my game is off its off and people should not suffer because of my failing.

I am sick of the socialites on the course that only show up to talk more than play. some do not understand the etiquette of golf and feel entitled with an attitude that shows only their play and game is important and you will just have to wait for me because I'm special.

Ready golf doesn't mean six inch holes or what tee you play from. it means practicing good etiquette, being ready and positioned always to strike the ball and being within the moment to say I am allowed 9 minutes per hole and if I see I'm on my 8th strike for a par 3 hole I might want to pick up and move on

Simply stated most golfers understand the need for etiquette and ready play while a few are very selfish that or cognitively unaware.

We deserve better and its starts with a commitment from the Golf Administration
Old 11-03-2015, 07:41 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
So I hear many posters saying that because its free golf what do you expect. I hear posters say what you can you expect when people are old and feeble.

What nonsense and what a waste of amenities fees if the golf Administration won't take their responsibilities seriously. Perhaps there are a few cases of golfers who can't keep up but I have played with so called 80 year olds that had me running to play catch up with them, disabled ones too.

I am sick of hearing that people are playing from the wrong tees. That is not the major issue. its the manner in which they play such as their trance like address of standing over the ball until the cows come home . or of not picking up at least by the sixth stroke. I will not play more than four strokes on a executive course sometimes less and I don't take mulligans. if my game is off its off and people should not suffer because of my failing.

I am sick of the socialites on the course that only show up to talk more than play. some do not understand the etiquette of golf and feel entitled with an attitude that shows only their play and game is important and you will just have to wait for me because I'm special.

Ready golf doesn't mean six inch holes or what tee you play from. it means practicing good etiquette, being ready and positioned always to strike the ball and being within the moment to say I am allowed 9 minutes per hole and if I see I'm on my 8th strike for a par 3 hole I might want to pick up and move on

Simply stated most golfers understand the need for etiquette and ready play while a few are very selfish that or cognitively unaware.

We deserve better and its starts with a commitment from the Golf Administration
You're fighting a losing battle.

Have a nice day.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter123 View Post
You're fighting a losing battle.

Have a nice day.

It isn't the Ambassadors not doing what they are told. It is the policy of the folks who make the policy to not get into any ****ing contests.

Thus the saving chairs, thus the rascals who keep doing water aerobics in the pools, etc. etc. "They" insist on not being heavy handed with us older people who should know HOW to act. They wouldn't couldn't win anyway. Too many people are always going to do what they damn well please.

AND....It well may be a good policy. It sure has been successful so far. We are the fastest growing community of this kind in the country.

I think it is because the Morses grew up in the center of the country. We are raised differently.

I would rather walk off the golf course than tell someone the etiquette of golf. You can't make a New Yorker out of an Ohio person. One is raised to speak up and the other is not.

Last edited by graciegirl; 11-03-2015 at 08:03 AM.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

I would rather walk off the golf course than tell someone the etiquette of golf. You can't make a New Yorker out of an Ohio person. One is raised to speak up and the other is not.
More people walking off (whether you're from NY or Ohio) will surely speed up play.

Last edited by Walter123; 11-03-2015 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
Last week, Volusia, 20 mins late.
Do you think you were you detained due to slow play?
Where I come from in South Jersey, "We're running 20 minutes late" for a tee off time; is on time.
I guess back home we're more easy going than the rest of the country.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Where I come from in South Jersey, "We're running 20 minutes late" for a tee off time; is on time.
Hi Tom,

As you said before, when was the last time you tee'd off late in The Villages?

99% of the time I tee off early or at least on time.

Live, Laugh, Play.........
Old 11-03-2015, 08:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Yes, it was due to slow play. The person in the starter shack indicated that and you could see several groups of novice golfers. The bizarre pin placement on the first hole didn't help. I went there knowing it could be slow so it was not a big deal.

Quote:
Old 11-03-2015, 08:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter123 View Post
More people walking off (whether you're from NY or Ohio) will surly speed up play.
Not really. It's like a Kanga line---you can only go as fast as the slowest foursome--and THEY'RE not the ones who will walk off
Old 11-03-2015, 08:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Not really. It's like a Kanga line---you can only go as fast as the slowest foursome--and THEY'RE not the ones who will walk off
Doesn't matter who walks off. It will open up a slot and, increase the speed of play for anyone behind them.

In a perfect world no one would be waiting but we do not live in a perfect world.
Given the demographics of The Villages slow play is to be expected. That is obvious to even the most casual observer.

Now that the younger birds are arriving, there will be more of this subject. We were all young once and we will all be old. And when I'm 85, what's behind me will not be important.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:30 AM
Veteran member

Boy I'm sure glad I dont golf
Old 11-04-2015, 09:36 AM
Default Agree with ugotme

Whether executive course or not, golf etiquette and the pick up rule should be observed. We all understand that this is not championship golf and there will be some wait time. However, hitting 3 or 4 balls, taking 10-12 shots, giving golf lessons on the course, having chit chat by the green while people are behind you and ready to hit is really a bit too much.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:29 AM
Sage

So far only I person said they teed off late. I can't recall the last time I teed off late. I can recall many times being told you should try to get here 15 minutes early. In fact, down here, being 10 minutes early is 5 minutes late.

Last edited by tomwed; 11-04-2015 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:00 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
So far only I person said they teed off late. I can't recall the last time I teed off late. I can recall many times being told you should try to get here 15 minutes early. In fact, down here, being 10 minutes early is 5 minutes late.
Tee'd off 15 minutes early on Pelican yesterday and completed the round in under 90 minutes! Oh, didn't lose any balls!
Closed Thread

Tags
ambassadors, golf, pace, playing, slow, holes, hole, minutes, tees, front, play, people, nice, group, mentioned, ambassador, casually, water, picking, open, balls, spaced, pick, authority, rake

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.