Golf Buddy

Closed Thread
Old 12-01-2020, 09:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,036 Times in 2,731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post
I have a golf buddy wtx which does a good job. I never understood the need for a range finder they are slow to measure and hold up play. Who is good enough to need the exact yardage
Actually, all the Championship courses have reflectors imbedded into the top of the flagsticks which makes it very quick and easy to shot the yardage to the pin with a laser. It doesn’t take any longer to shot the yardage than it would to look at an app on your phone or a gps devise. And some greens are so big that the difference between a front and back pin placement can be two clubs. I will always use a rangefinder, just personal preference I guess. Regardless of how one determines the yardage, it still requires putting the right swing on the ball. Golf on !
Old 12-01-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Whatever happened to looking at the course yard marker, adding or subtracting the paces either side, picking a club, then hitting the ball?
They will be launching drones and weather balloons next.
No wonder it takes hours to complete a round!
If looking around for sprinkler heads and pacing off the yardage to the nearest one is quicker than glancing at a display, then go for it.

But I agree, be quick. Get distance and make club selection while playing partners are shooting.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I had a Golf Buddy Global I paid $150 for a dozen years ago and a Callaway/Nike Range Finder, I found I use the rangefinder almost every shot. When TV opened Evans Prairie and Belle Glade and other new courses the Golf Buddy I had to download the courses, plus it was always a hassle to look for it in the cup holder or wherever I stuck it.

Two years ago I bought the Garmin Approach GPS wrist watch at Jim's Golf Shop for $129, that's all I use now. It's great, no matter where I go I just look at my wrist. I thought it might irritate me having something on my wrist, but it's the same hand area that you're wearing a glove, I don't even know it's there. It has all the courses I play, even when I go off campus.

I was just looking it up and it's now only $99 at Dick's and until the end of today (11/30) Dick's has 25% off on the top of the website page.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/garmin-approach-s10-golf-gps-watch-18gmnupprchs10xxxgps/18gmnupprchs10xxxgps?sku=19251782&camp=CSESG_927 00048881081380_lia_pla-507470809421&segment=&gclid=Cj0KCQiAzZL-BRDnARIsAPCJs71p_BAVW8ZGhzaToKStmmyQrcCJFcaTDM-z89tObl4z6leat1Z1MX8aAkv4EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

The Villages Florida
I mounted my GolfBuddy to my cart so I have can see the distance as I drive up.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
I mounted my GolfBuddy to my cart so I have can see the distance as I drive up.
My neighbor that I rode with before the pandemic created an attachment for his Golf Buddy on the post. The Golf Buddy has to go inside between rounds for recharging, for whatever reason he would forget it half the time or left it in his bag because he walked the Executives between Championship rounds and then it wasn't charged enough. I did the same myself, forget the Golf Buddy a couple of times.

Since I've gotten the wrist watch version from Garmin two years ago I've not forgotten it ever, I think because it's part of your apparel it's easier to remember. I also find on my wrist is really handy, especially when your playing 'rough only' or 'cart path only' days that happens during our rainy season May to October.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:23 AM

For years I eschewed techno intrusions into golf. Learned as a youth how to estimate yardage from a few landmarks; 150 marker, colored yardage plate and sprinkler heads where close. Trained a lot of caddies to do the same, my son included. Would compare their pace off with my estimate and usually had less than 5 yards difference. Good skill to have in the bag when needed.

Now have a basic (yardage only) scope, mostly for strange courses and to quickly advise fellow players of yardage’s to keep them moving along. Use it to dial in my hickories as most ranges are worthless for that exercise. Not allowed for hickory play as however.

As with any tool, used properly they can be a benefit, while misused they can really slow up everything. Having been a single digit player I am constantly amazed at the advanced technology some bring to bear, so they can hit their next shot another 50 yards. Unless they have a ubs port in their butt the technology is near useless. Also most of these watches and such only give estimated distances to center, or front/back.

But each to their own.
Old 12-01-2020, 11:02 AM

Love my golf buddy Voice. No downloads or subscriptions... 40,000 courses loaded.

Quick, easy, and simple to use.

Never take my $$$ Garmin Christmas gift anymore.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:15 PM

18Birdies. Free phone app. Been using it for 5 yrs. Gives distance to front, middle and back of green. You can also see how far to bunkers or water or houses :-). Track your score. GIRs. Fairways hit. There's a premium version, but I don't need it. Free version is great.
Home | 18Birdies
Old 12-01-2020, 01:12 PM
Location: atl (marietta) - 1/20 bought on killington loop then covoid hit - looking again

THIS is a golf buddy,,, the other things are just electronics who's primary purpose is to confuse us
blair o'neill golfer - Bing
Old 12-01-2020, 02:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,359 Times in 2,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBrutyle109 View Post
Much easier to be at your ball and look at a range finder or GPS than pacing off from a marker, which you have to find. Plus, that’s not what slows play. Poor cart etiquette is the biggest factor. Where you leave the cart, do you get out of the cart when you get to you partners ball and walk to yours, (pre-pandemic), now you should be at your ball and be ready to hit. Also, after you hit, get in your cart and worry about cleaning your club and putting it back in the bag when you stop at your next shot. THATS WHAT WILL SPEED PLAY!
When I used to play Championship courses I always walked, and by the time I had reached my ball I had worked out yardage, and club selection.
Never held up play 'pacing off,' and kept up easily with cart golfers.
Only play Execs. now, but still walk, repair my own and others divots, and rake bunkers for the lazy and entitled.
Old fashioned I know, but I still think the New Rules allowing DMD's took some of the unpredictability out of the game.
Far to techy now. Just imagine a four in front playing like Dechambeau!
Old 12-01-2020, 03:04 PM

SwingU on your phone is free. It gives you an original satelite view of the hole and front, middle and back distances to the green. A great feature is you can tap the screen to see distances to any spot on the hole (example: to a bunker). Works well on ALL villages courses (including Exec.). Might give an occasional misreading but not often. You can buy an upgraded version with additional features such as wind speed and elevations but I'm not good enough for it to make any difference in my game. Loads quickly and uses about 40% of the battery life on my iPhone 8 for 18 holes.
Old 12-01-2020, 03:04 PM

Let's see, 5'2", Blond, about 35, hour glass shaped body, 15 handicap, loves wine, dancing and fooling around.
Old 12-01-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolsadd View Post
What is the best golf buddy to buy? Why?
I only use a laser now. Have all the other watches etc. but not needed for around here
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, buddy, buy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.