Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Golf in The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/)
-   -   Golf bunkers (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/golf-bunkers-306468/)

DeafDeaf 05-15-2020 12:50 PM

Bingo!!!

fdpaq0580 05-15-2020 01:05 PM

Hole in one?

I don't play anymore since my golf buddy passed. We loved to play. For us it was more like an Easter egg hunt. Hit the ball then try to find it. I admire the skill some have at actually having some degree of control over their shots. And, I envy those who have fun playing, regardless of their skill or score.
Hole in one, in my pathetic opinion, depends on how seriously and honestly and by which set rules you want to play by. A hole in one by PGA standards is more impressive than a hole in one my friend or I might have claimed when seeing who had to buy the next round.
Have fun! Maybe someday... Maybe.

wisbad1 05-15-2020 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubfan1126 (Post 1765059)
I know there a no rakes in the bunkers but could you at least TRY to smooth out your footprints with your foot or your club. Some of us still believe in “play it as it lies” in a bunker and landing in your footprint does make it more difficult.

How about fixing ball marks, did they take away your divot tool?

fdpaq0580 05-15-2020 05:24 PM

Divot tool?

Quote:

Originally Posted by wisbad1 (Post 1765606)
How about fixing ball marks, did they take away your divot tool?

Back when I used to play, my divot tool was my 8 iron. Made some real beauties with that thing.
Oh, you probably meant divot repair tool. My bad.

fishon 05-15-2020 05:45 PM

Why can’t the ambassadors rake the traps?
They don’t do much these days.
$8 an hour do something.

dewilson58 05-15-2020 05:48 PM

To avoid footprints, I do the worm to get out of bunkers.

The Worm (dance move) - YouTube

BamaBoy451 05-16-2020 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayhawk (Post 1765352)
Actually, the Ambassadors our group spoke with said The Villages course rule is Option 1 provided by the USGA - Move the ball from the bunker, no closer to the hole, and play on with no penalty.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/ho...ping-faqs.html

Ground under repair could be used in two different manners. The first being to declare all bunkers to be ground under repair and treat them as part of the general area. This would allow players the option to take free relief outside the bunker under Rule 16.1. The second is to treat disturbed areas only as ground under repair. This would still allow a player free relief from such areas, but would require such relief to be taken elsewhere within the bunker.

Our group have been told by several ambassadors, your choice, play out of the bunker or don't, have fun and use the rules to your advantage. Look. No one here plays to make their mortgage payments on these retirement recreational courses.:clap2:

MSchad 05-16-2020 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishon (Post 1765662)
$8 an hour do something.

Besides filling in divots on tee boxes and elsewhere, fixing all the unrepaired ball marks on the greens?

JoMar 05-16-2020 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishon (Post 1765662)
$8 an hour do something.

Now that's just cold!

thomp679 05-16-2020 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubfan1126 (Post 1765059)
I know there a no rakes in the bunkers but could you at least TRY to smooth out your footprints with your foot or your club. Some of us still believe in “play it as it lies” in a bunker and landing in your footprint does make it more difficult.

For all of the 'professional' golfers out complaining about the sand traps, if you are that good, the ungroomed trap shouldn't be much of a challenge.

For all of you 'professional' greenskeepers that carry their own personal rakes, thanks for paying it forward.